Terminating one of two lines on an AT&T Family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdstoll, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rdstoll macrumors 6502

Hi I've searched around other sites including AT&T and can't seem to find the answer so I figure I'll ask here. I'm probably ditching my iPhone shortly - which is still under contract - but I'm part of a family plan with my wife and she wants to stay with AT&T. If I decide to sign up for new service with someone else and port my number over is that going to drop her as well or does she revert to an individual plan.

Any help is appreciated.

2. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

she should be fine to the best of my knowledge.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can cancel your line, you will have to pay the ETF for that line (since you said you are under contract), her line will become the Main line in the account and AT&T will change the plan to an equivalent for individuals.

4. rdstoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks. Should I call AT&T before I do all this or just port the number over and call them later?

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can call them, but they can't do anything until you port the number i believe. if they cancel your account first, you may risk losing your number.

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Port the number first, then call AT&T and switch your wife's line to an individual plan.

7. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

When you port your number, it will terminate that line. I think AT&T's computer system is smart enough to pick up that she is the only line and adjust the price, but it would be good to follow up and make sure it did it correctly. You will get that nice EFT on your next bill, but that should be about it. That family plan will become a single plan. So you will have the EFT and two single plans and the cost of a new phone. Sounds expensive to me, but if that's what you want to do, it's all good.

8. rdstoll thread starter macrumors 6502

I know...not good but from what I see on ebay I can sell my iphone 4 for a pretty penny which will be more than enough to cover the EFT and purchase of another phone on another carrier.