Terrible battery life

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
did a factory reset of my watch and battery life is still kinda meh. have the series 5. running 6.0.1. went down 6% in only 3 hours.
put the watch on the charger and reboot and will take off at 100% and try again and see what happens.

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
did a factory reset of my watch and battery life is still kinda meh. have the series 5. running 6.0.1. went down 6% in only 3 hours.
put the watch on the charger and reboot and will take off at 100% and try again and see what happens.
6% in 3 hours is pretty normal from what I have seen. From my experience, the % drop starts a tad slow above 80% then increases. In the 2-3% loss per hour range is normal IMO. If you could maintain just the 2% loss that’s 2 days.

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
In fairness to the OP, and another post here about inconsistent battery % drop at high %, there does seem to be inconsistency.. but I am not sure I would sweat it. Yesterday, my fully charged AW went to 98% almost immediately. Today it has been on 100% for 2 hours now.
- - Post merged: - -

on my series 4 i was able to stay at 100% for like 3 hours.
My 4 and 5 do this.. then it normalizes to about 2% per hour.

Reactions: mattburley7

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thank you very much avkam, I did not know this since I never had to do it in my old S3.
It changed in watchOS 6, airplane mode remembers if you’ve turned Bluetooth back on or not. Same for WiFi.

For more info see the answers to the same question three or four other people posted this week.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Last weekend (wearing a t-shirt so watch exposed) I was getting 12-13hrs battery life. Monday-Friday I had long sleeves (shirt and also a jacket a lot of the time) and I still had approx 20% battery after 16hrs use (which I'm happy with). Yesterday, t-shirt again, and my watch died in a bit under 12hrs. AoD on; sound monitoring and Hey Siri off.

My drain is approx 8%/hr in short sleeves and 4%/hr in long sleeves so about twice your drain... I have a second watch ordered (due Tuesday) and I will send this one back. If the new one can't meet the 18hr spec when I'm wearing a t-shirt it will be returned and I will go back to my Series 3 and then see what Series 6 brings...
I have had my replacement 44mm SBSS Series 5 just over a week now and the battery life is a LOT better than my first one (which I sent back for a refund). Drain is now 2-3%/hr with the watch under long sleeves most of the day. It was a bit higher at the weekend when I mainly wore a t-shirt, but it still made a 15hr day with about 40% battery left (so about 4%/hr). Most of this time has been with watchOS 6.0.1, so some of the improvement could be the updated software, but it does look like the first one had a hardware/battery issue that affected battery life. I'm happy with the second one so I'm keeping it!

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2013
I feel for you guys. I got lucky with my watch and it seems to have normal/good battery life. I haven’t had any issues where it doesn’t last me or it drains.

Bruce_wayne81

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Am I the only one with terrible battery life since this update? I have the decible meter on as well as as the hourly ho ur notifications. Apple said this uses hardly any battery but I got up at 5 am with a full charge and now I’m at 9%
Actually I turn back 1 Apple Watch series 5 because of the battery drain and they gave my another one but it’s the same thing. Terrible battery drain.

ukbootlegs

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
I am out of my return period but I have had two workouts where my battery life dropped 1% per minute, so 40% in 40 mins. This was just so bad I thought it must be software so I was awaiting 6.1 before doing anything more. Now from your post it seems it could be hardware related. If this is true then there will be a lot of people affected. Not happy.
Mine did the same. It would die without going into low power mode during a workout. I returned it and new one works fine

ukbootlegs

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
but if you have that kind of loss they will exchange for you anyway, apple will make it right in store.
They wanted to send mine off for repair!
- - Post merged: - -

Wtf is going on...two days in a row my watch has died before 9pm.

it was on only 18% and just died from 18%....this is just madness and not sure why

just put it on the charger and it starts charging on 17%...why would it die at 18%? surely not a reset will be needed?
Mine did that. I exchanged it and replacement is fine so far.

PBz

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
An update.. AOD on, raise to wake off, short walk using no phone and GPS/LTE.

75% remaining after 9 hours off charger. Not the 48 of the 4 but well over 30 and I am OK with that for AOD. This duration does not account for about 7 hours with Theater Mode enabled. Will see if it can be at/above 50% at 7AM tomorrow.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
An update.. AOD on, raise to wake off, short walk using no phone and GPS/LTE.

75% remaining after 9 hours off charger. Not the 48 of the 4 but well over 30 and I am OK with that for AOD. This duration does not account for about 7 hours with Theater Mode enabled. Will see if it can be at/above 50% at 7AM tomorrow.
Which watch face you using?

Mine died about 22.15

And again it died on 17%..3 straight times now. Very odd

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I dont think that battery rate drop is linear. In my experience the battery meter drops slower closer to being full when compared to closer to empty. So a 2% drop rate from 100 to 98% should not be compared to the drop rate from 50 to 48% or 2 to 0%.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There’s certainly a fault with my battery life lol...off charge at 7.30am and at 10:00 its still at 100%...would explain why it dies at 17% if the battery is staying on 100% longer than it should be

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah it’s past the two weeks now. Was yesterday. Got the watch on the 25th September. Think have to wait for the an update i guess to fix the issue. It died about 10pm last night so not awful but still be nice to know the exact battery life.
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Are you within the two week window?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 68030
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Yeah it’s past the two weeks now. Was yesterday. Got the watch on the 25th September. Think have to wait for the an update i guess to fix the issue. It died about 10pm last night so not awful but still be nice to know the exact battery life.
If you are only one day past the 2 week window, it might be worth giving them a call and saying that you have only used the watch for a few days and have been testing the battery life as you had concerns. When 5.1 bricked my watch, it was a month old and I insisted on a brand new replacement and not a white box. They sent a brand new watch priority replacement

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you are only one day past the 2 week window, it might be worth giving them a call and saying that you have only used the watch for a few days and have been testing the battery life as you had concerns. When 5.1 bricked my watch, it was a month old and I insisted on a brand new replacement and not a white box. They sent a brand new watch priority replacement
Not sure if calling up would get them to send me a new watch...may try it or may just reset it again.

I’m on Hoilday from Sunday so won’t be able to do much for another week at least

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
im getting 2 days on a single charge with AOD turned on and 30min workouts each day with heart readings. LTE off, bluetooth off, wifi off, gps off, noise monitor off, walkie off.

• Wow
Reactions: Dopestar

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
have not really seen any improvement with battery life just yet. didnt some people say it took several days to see improvement? i just did setup as new 2 days ago but battery is the same. took off watch at 5:30 am its now 8:43 and im at 93%. maybe it wont get better till watchOS 6.1 is released.

Reactions: ferretex