Terrible experience at Verizon corporate store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applegeek25, Oct 3, 2013.

1. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

I activated 2 new lines of services on 9/30 under the Share Everything 4GB plan. The sales associate suggested that I consider activating the 1st line, an iPhone 5S 64GB model, under the Edge program for the benefit of upgrading every 6-12 months. My 2nd line, a MiFi device, was activated under the traditional 2-year contract. After leaving the store and reviewing through the activation documents (as well as considering how frequent I would realistically upgrade a phone), I decided that the Edge program was not a good fit for me and subsequently returned to the store this evening to switch from the Edge program to a traditional 2-yr contract.

I arrived at the store at approx. 5:15pm and stayed till 7:58pm. That's right. I was waiting on the sales floor for over 2.5hrs while another associate (not the original sales rep who activated me) attempted to return my iPhone and sell it back out to me under a 2-yr contract. I realize that the Edge program is new and requires different procedures/policies, but the attitudes of both the associate and the manager on duty were completely unacceptable. I didn't walk into the store expecting to be out in 15 or 30 minutes, but I fully expected to be leaving and on my way to a dinner engagement that was scheduled for 6:45.

After the first hour at the store, the associate decided to step off the sales floor and into their back office for the remainder of my visit. She pretty much left me on the sales floor for over 1.5hrs without any updates as to how the "exchange" process was going and since my iPhone 5S was technically disconnected from my account, I was not able to make/receive calls and advise individuals that I would either be late for the engagement or not able to make it at all. During this 1.5hr period, I was forced to ask any sales associate that came across the counter to kindly go in the back office and ask for an update from the associate that was helping me. Additionally, I asked the manager on duty if I could please use their WiFi so that I could make a few calls and respond to e-mails. He informed me that their WiFi wasn't working (despite the fact that my iPhone 5S showed at least 6 MiFi units that were live at that time).

To make matters worse, the sales associate argued with me for a good 10 minutes on why I'm being charged both a "restocking fee" and an "upgrade fee." After 2.5 hours in the store, I was beginning to lose my patience quickly. She advised me that her manager would place a $35 credit on my account for the restocking fee and that she was waiving the upgrade fee. I think it's pretty obvious that this associate needs additional training. 1) I wasn't exchanging anything. I kept the same iPhone with the same ESN and everything. 2) I wasn't upgrading either. I activated service 3 days prior and was within the 14-day return/exchange policy.

As of this post, I don't see any type of credit on my account for the restocking fee that I was charged as a result of the associate returning the device and selling the same device back to me under a 2-yr contract. After reviewing the e-mailed receipt more closely, I'm also noticing that the associate charged me AGAIN for the same $14.99 pack of screen protectors that I purchased on the 9/30 and did not return this evening.

Although I love Verizon's network and the amazing signal I'm getting everywhere, I hope (more like pray) that I never have to step foot into another store location again.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

EDGE program has NO activation fee, however signing a two-year agreement DOES require an activation fee for the new line that you are now purchasing. You aren't exchanging anything, you're returning your device and canceling your EDGE agreement and then activating a new device on a new contract. You were rightfully charged an activation fee.

Also, the restocking fee is for just that, returning an opened device within the 14 days. The fact that you're using the same device is irrelevant, their system still sees it as retuning an opened device into their inventory. You were also rightfully charged the restocking fee based on how the system functions. It was right of them to credit you for the restocking fee if we're being sensible, however you should be thankful they waived the activation fee as that was rightfully charged.

Stop complaining so much, you're entitled to nothing.

3. applegeek25 thread starter macrumors regular

applegeek25

Actually I activated service the last day that Verizon offered the "No Activation Fee" promotion (3-day promotion). ALL activation fees, including the $35 activation fee that I would normally be charged on the 2nd line with the MiFi, were waived. That was the promotion. Verizon's Edge program had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Additionally, I never requested to exchange nor return anything. The sales associate took it upon herself to return the transaction before even informing me of what she was doing. I simply walked into the store and asked to sign a 2-yr contract instead of the Edge program.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Fair enough on the first part, I missed that, sorry.

But regardless, in order to reverse the EDGE program you'd have to return the device to then sign the 2 year agreement for the same phone, which causes the system to charge the restocking fee.

5. applegeek25 thread starter macrumors regular

applegeek25

That was never mentioned to me prior to the transaction being returned. Even if it was mentioned, it's not my fault that your system is setup to automatically charge the restocking fee. Unless the device physically leaves my hands and goes back into your inventory, the $35 "restocking fee" is flat out fraudulent. AmEx would have no problem opening up a dispute and refunding me the $35 (if not more).

6. Raibyn macrumors regular

I have had more issues with Verizon than I can recount. Serious issues, like them charging me full price on my account for an even exchange of a phone and then taking 5 MONTHS to refund me. I left after that issue for AT&T. I'm sure AT&T has its issues too, but at least they are not Verizon. AT&T's network is getting much closer to Verizon's in terms of LTE coverage, too. Anyway, I feel your pain. Verizon :mad:

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Cell phone contracts, lol. When are people going to learn to go contract-free, as well as stop overpaying for your "subsidized" phone? (subsidized with your own wallet via inflated monthly rates.)

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Not necessarily over paying for post paid plans with Verizon ATT etc.

According to Verizon's own corporation earnings. (Verizon stopped report per line revenue about 12-18 months ago). But Verizon's per line revenue was about $50/line.

My brother has 4 lines, 3 with unlimited data and 22% discount and his bill is $190 a month. Even if he were to add data to the 4th line. It would be about $220/month (including taxes). That comes out to about $55/line, all with data.

That also includes a $400-450 device subsidy per line.

Vs. T-mobile "uncarrier" $50/line plan PLUS no device subsidy.

So what sounds better? And we all know for the most part Verizon has much better coverage throughout the country (I have both ATT and Verizon coverage)

Never assume Americans are dumb. Those with 1-2, and probably 3 lines may be better off no contract.

But 60% of Americans are on some type of family plans which offer them significant savings.

9. Jades macrumors 6502

In one of the corporate stores in manhattan the reps are vicious. Had to go there the other day and he was giving so much attitude and even using force to hang up his phone to show me that he is pissed. Meanwhile I was nothing but courteous and understanding with him

Your not alone here, and I've read dozens of times about nightmares at the corporate store. They're only happy when they see you spending money on phones and accessories so that they can make their commission. I only find this problem at verizon stores. But from the shareholders point of view, why need to improve anything when they know that they're the "best" network?