Terrible Find My iPhone Glitch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Apr 23, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I use Find my iPhone to follow my dad on his travels, and I was using it when it randomly switched to another person's location. It showed exactly where he was for a second, and then it switched to no location available with just an overhead view of where he was located.
    I've got a screenshot if you want it, but I feel it might be an invasion of privacy for the person involved.

2. Apple 26.2, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

It showed the other person's information (number, etc.)?

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Only their location and their name. And that they were using an iPhone 4.

4. ani23 macrumors 6502

File a bug with apple. That's really scary.

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Definitely... hopefully a glitch at best, but something they should be aware of.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

How do I do that for a glitch in an app they make?

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Im sorry but I call BS on this. You have to register your devices first with your mobile me account and then your devices have to be set to allow for find my iPhone. Unless two phones magically have the same UDID I don't see this happening.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I can show you the screenshots if you want.
    I don't really see what my incentive to lie would be. I'm not driving ad revenue from my thread. :D

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I should have reworded. I'm not saying your lying I meant to say that what you saw is probably a glitch not actually someone elses cell phone.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can file a bug report at apple.com/feedback.

Pick the product, and one of the drop downs should allow you to change it to bug report.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

So you think that the name and location that showed up are not related?

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This could be serious and I'm really interested to know more. Could you post the screenshots but perhaps blur out the other persons name? Thanks.

This definitely needs to be reported to Apple.

13. ani23 macrumors 6502

Whether the location was accurate or not if he saw someone else's name and number that's still a pretty big security and privacy hole. Maybe if he had tried he could have wiped out that guys phone.*

I remember buying a used phone and restoring my own backup but pandora was still signed in to the previous owners acct. Could be an issue with the pandora app but stuff like this does happen.

14. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

15. calvy macrumors 65816

Text the person and tell them what happened. Maybe they will contact apple and get something resolved. Or sue the crap out of them.

16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't have the phone number, only their name and location. Just to be clear, it doesn't happen every time, only happened once.
    I'll get those screen shots up ASAP.

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is my find my iPhone screen. I've switched them both to satellite to further secure the victim's and my own privacy.
    [​IMG]
    This is the one it switched too. I only had adobe ideas to edit the photo, so it's rotated.
    [​IMG]

19. iphone dummy macrumors newbie

Glitch

I had the same thing happen with my wife's phone. It switched to following another phone. It happened twice, 3 days apart, switching to the same person and location each time. My wife says that she had turned off wifi on her phone each time, about the time that it switched to following someone else. I spoke to my wife at work on her work phone and confirmed that she was there, so it wasn't a case of her lying about her whereabouts. Very strange! This glitch could cause some serious relationship problems if it is happening to others.:(

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Maybe she loaned her phone to her boyfriend.... :)

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So following your dad isn't an invasion of privacy? Interesting...

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I guess he gave her permission to do so. My GF and I do the same with our respective travels. It comes in handy when you call and ask for info/directions/weather reports. And if she doesn't want to be tracked she can easily disable it for a while.

As for the glitch: well there are millions of tracking requests per day and if the server transmitts only one digit of the phones ID wrong then you end up with someone elses phone info until the next request is sent. Not too surprising that that happens once in a while. Since you can't use that to target a specific person at a specific time it's rather harmless IMHO.

23. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

Your first picture shows 8:05 am with 71% battery. And the picture with the said mysterious stranger's phone and location was taken 20 minutes before at 7:45 am with your battery at 98%?

That makes no sense... sorry your story has too many loopholes. If you claim to have taken one of them on a different day at a different time, then who is to say you simply didnt just log into another Apple ID?

24. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt