Terrible torture of woman in WV

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

THIS IS TERRIBLE

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/us/12captive.html?ref=us

They consider it a hate crime and no doubt there was racial motivation, however I think there is something bigger here. Look at these faces. These are the faces of meth. Do some research and see what methamphetamine does to people. Looks like to me they were on more of a sick, twisted, tweaking out of their minds meth rage then just a racial issue here. Was race an issue, probably, but when they were all jacked up on whatever they were using they probably would have done this to any human being. This is not only a sad story, but scary as hell. Anyone could be abducted by people like this and made part some kind of a sick twisted game by a bunch of junkies.

If you have ever seen the "Faces of Meth" posters I would say these are about as close to those as I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's a very nasty crime committed by a family with a long history of total disregard for the law.

Logan, WV looks to be out in the middle of nowhere and meth has a great deal of appeal to the rural poor so it's very possible meth was involved.

Personally, it looks as though inbreeding may be part of the problem, it is West Virginia after all....

3. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well all I can say are those are some SCARY people. Anyhow it sounds like the poor girl did graduate from high school, but was somewhat mentally challenged from another report I read. I also read something that said she might have been lured to these people's place through the internet.

You are right. These people have total disregard for the law...but even more they have total disregard for human beings.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Reminds me a little of Deliverance.
    This is so disturbing I just can't think of anything else to say about it.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I agree, this crime is horrible. But what political relevance does it have?

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Deliverance is the second thing I thought of - right after inbreeding. I guess the two go hand-in-hand. What a group of total loosers. These people certainly make a case for involuntary sterilization.

7. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I thought this was the politics, religion and social issues thread and that it belonged here because racism is a social issue. They are saying that race played a part in this crime.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Can be, but "social issues" usually means gay rights.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I disagree. "Social Issues" means social issues. Don't make it so narrow as to become a euphemism. There are plenty of other "issues" which qualify.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Where in the world did you come up with that?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I just meant here, because it's still controversial for some reason. ;) It's sort of become one of the few things we would consider needing to be posted here (though it does usually come with religious and political postings, which would also explain why such things are posted here). Perhaps I was being a little flippant about it, or could have used a smilie or something, but my point was that some things that aren't so controversial don't need to be posted in this part of the forum. Of course there are other things that count as social issues that might be considered controversial, like drug use, that would be better suited here. Racial as well.

Which I guess could mean this posting belongs here, so nm.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

o_O WTH?

I'm trying to figure out how an entire family could end up that twisted. It just doesn't make sense...

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm trying to figure out how the mother and son were living there still, after both being convicted of killing. and another killing outside their home. i mean, wtf?

14. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

People like that family need to be but in prison for the rest of their lives with out any chance what so ever for parole! Their not just drug addicts who need help. aIt takes a purly sick and twisted person to do something like this crime.

15. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Some time ago, I came across a list of unofficial state slogans, somewhere on the web. Two that I remember are "Connecticut. Just like Massachusetts, except the Kennedys don't own it yet". And this, "West Virginia. We're one big family. Really."

Those pics, and this whole story, are scary as hell.

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So what did the seven confess to?

Wow.

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's in the article:

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I had the same question. From the article:

I guess these pleas appeared better to them than what they were told they faced at trial.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's what is so disconcerting. I'm sure there are other possible reasons, but I suspect either:

a) This check got some local pressure to recant and is doing so outof a fear for her own safety; or

b) The outrage over the allegations was so severe, that they felt they could not and would not get a fair hearing. The PD that they likely had representing them didn't care or didn't have the time to deal with what looked like an open and shut case, and encouraged the plea. Had they received what they thought were likely convictions, they would have faced years, if not the rest of their lives, in prison. The chick is recanting because of some personal guilt that she honestly feels.

Whichever reason, society loses.