Terrifying Law Turns Michigan Into A Theocracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Dec 6, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The Christian Right is coming for your state next. This is appalling, and will hopefully be overturned by the Supreme Court at some point. But go ahead guys, keep sitting at home on election day while the Christian Taliban takes over your state. :mad::mad::mad:

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We kicked Ted Nugent out of Michigan and sent his draft-dodging butt to Texas. The Great Lakes State will survive. Go Packers!

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    We have a nerd for a governor, not a politician. He may not sign such a bill, if it gets that far.

4. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

If this passes do you think that firefighters and businesses would start refusing service to gays/other religions/single mothers in any significant numbers? I'm skeptical that a law is the only thing keeping society from going back to 1960s-style segregation, as laws can only be passed when the vast majority are first cool with them.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Please tell me why your country thinks that it should lead the free world.:p

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It would be all good for these extreme Christians until Muslims and Jews take advantage of the same. This could be one of those "careful what you wish for" situations.

7. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Probably not. Does that mean they should be given the right to though?

In what world?

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Assuming that bill is not being misrepresented here, your concerns wouldn't matter. It would be overturned as unconstitutional regardless of whether it initially passes.

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

If even one firefighter refused to rescue someone from a burning building because that person was gay or a Muslim, and later claimed he had a religious objection to that person's actions, and got off scott-free, that's all I need to call this bill a complete piece of ****. Well, I'm calling it that now, but I would be frightened to see what this could lead to.

Rejecting housing, medical care, prescriptions, is bad enough.

Ummm, this is just blatantly false. A politician can believe that he's "doing the right thing" and that all his constituents are cool with it, but that slavery thread left a different impression in my mind.

10. SLC Flyfishing, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I love how every time something is proposed to protect people's sincerely held religious beliefs, everyone jumps the shark and goes to "someone will die because the doctor thinks he's gay"

How many doctors do any of you know who are fundamentalist Christians to begin with? The type who would refuse medical care to someone because of something like this? Because even the most ardently religious colleagues of mine have no objections to providing medical care to the LGBTQ community. Some of us don't want to perform abortions, but that's about as controversial as I've seen it get in the real world.

This law is being put forth to prevent another gay wedding photography/abortion refusal/morning after pill saga. People who want those services will have the vast majority of providers still available to them; and the select few who's morals preclude such things will go about their business with their conscience intact. It's called creating compromise. And honestly it stems from the sense of attack that many people feel religion is under these days.

But don't let that stop you from spreading some serious FUD in the meantime.

Also, I'd like @iBlazed to explain how exactly this (proposed) law has turned Michigan into a theocracy. #1 it hasn't even been passed yet, #2 isn't a theocracy a situation where a religion governs rather than the people? Is Michigan going away from electing representatives? Which church is stepping in and assigning the leaders?

11. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Well, I don't think that the firefighter would get away scott-free. Assuming he's employed by the state he'd get fired because the terms that they work under is to provide a service to taxpayers in exchange for their taxes. If he worked for a company in the market then he'd also get fired unless his boss is completely mental and is fine with cutting massive chunks out of his customer base.

Slave drivers were a minority. The majority tolerated it, but many didn't like it all that much as the were forced to pay taxes to catch slaves, as well as go on patrol to search for escaped slaves instead of spending that time working for money or with their families.

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Did you even read the article or did you just copy and paste your soapbox speech from the word file you have it saved in? The bill is very broadly worded and basically allows a free for all for theists to discriminate. Whether it will "actually happen" is completely beside the point. It shouldn't be legally allowed.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nice non answer.

Just admit your thread title is part of your FUD strategy.

And yes, I read it. Again, is the church assuming official control in Michigan?

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

Except the nerd is soft, letting the children in the legislature run wild with stupid laws like this. Not saying it will pass, but there's more than a chance. And even if he does veto, like that abortion insurance rider, they have enough votes to overturn it.

Snyder is fine, actually pretty solid for a "R" governor. The state legislature is a complete joke. I wish it was a R governor and D legislature - it would force some collaboration between parties.

15. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sorry you don't like your agenda being questioned. I took the word theocracy from the original source article, which doesn't seem like it meant the word literally either. Thanks for playing semantics with my thread, but you haven't changed my opposition to let religious people skirt the law.

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

On the contrary, I don't mind my agenda being questioned.

And what's this about "letting religious people skirt the law"? I think the whole point is to make it so they don't have to skirt the law at all!

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And that's exactly the problem. Why should theists get free reign to violate the civil rights of others? No one had that in mind when they came up with "freedom of religion". Your comrades are perverting the constitution, hope you're proud of them.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nobody wants to violate someone else's civil rights. That's not the aim of these laws. It's not like religious folks are getting together and coming up with ways to stick it to the non-believers.

These laws are being proposed because right now the very notion of true "freedom of religion" is under attack.

Sure, people can have a religion, but there's a movement afoot to limit their ability to practice it freely. That movement makes these sorts of laws necessary in the minds of most religious folks.

I assure you that a statistically negligible number of people would ever use these laws in the manner you, and the article, like to rant about.

People just want the ability to avoid doing things they are morally opposed to without facing legal risk.

And they should have that right.

19. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

In which way, exactly? Sounds like classic right wing FUD.

Being able to discriminate against people in a public establishment because you decided your religion is against their "lifestyle" is not a right.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I live in Michigan right now, a priest, a rabbi, and a imam just knocked on my door. Should I answer?

21. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Only problem is religious folks definition of "practice freely". Their definition gives them the right to violate the rights of those who they disagree with in a public accommodation. Your religious freedom ends at my nose.

----------

But do you believe they should legally be allowed to use these laws in that manner? Yes or no?

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Have you missed the recent string of lawsuits? We've had about a million threads here.

It appears it may soon be, in Michigan at least. ;)

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...I love how both sides take extremes, call names, use words they evidently don't know the meaning of, and accuse the other side of doing the exact same stuff.

Go read a dictionary. This isn't a "Theocracy." You are either trying to fool other people who know as little the definition as you do or you betray a lack of education.

Now, I am a strong Christian and still agree that everyone has the right to decide for themselves how they live; it's not my business - it's up to them. As far as employment goes, if they do their job they should have their job. Let's both agree that while we don't see eye to eye perhaps on some issues, at least we won't try to drum up support using our own erroneous assumptions and be condescending with the people who disagree with us.

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No, haven't missed them. They're happening because theists are violating people's constitutional rights. The lawsuits will continue. I don't buy your twisted view of religious freedom. Hopefully neither will the courts.

Won't pass constitutional scrutiny.
    The fact that it makes you happy is pretty sick though. Just admit you hate the constitution and call it a day.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Keep your nose out of my religious freedom and we'll get on just fine! :D