Terrorism and context

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by juanm, Apr 1, 2016.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I think it's good to put things in perspective from time to time, when it comes to terrorism.

Ce-3c43WEAEuMgC.jpg

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What percentage of those terrorist attacks were committed by Muslims?

Only 3,592 Syrians have been killed by terrorists since 2001? That is a laughably stupid number, ridiculous on the face of it.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

most terrorist attacks in the Middle east are committed by Christian Americans. like bush/Obama. & soon Hillary/Trump.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Depends who's stats you use... not my data and i take no responsibility for its accuracy.

For 2015 there were 2858 Islamic attacks in 52 countries, in which 27588 people were killed and 26136 injured.
    In the last 30days there were 126 Islamic attacks in 23 countries, in which 905 people were killed and 2902 injured.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What's the source of your data?

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, @juanm, I strongly suspect that those figures understate - by quite some margin - the actual numbers who have died in a number of those countries.

Might I ask by what criteria these stats are measured? In other words, how do they define death by terrorism ? Or what do they mean when they use the term 'victims of terrorist attacks'?

Now, if the intended point is to stress how few have died in western Europe as a result of terrorist attacks and killings, when compared to and contrasted with some of the more unstable and violent societies and countries which are wracked by insurrection, civil conflict, civil war, terrorism, and indeed state sponsored terrorism, then, I think you have made a very good and valid point.

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you got it from some very clearly anti-Muslim website. Im sure its bang on accurate.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

calling trump a christian is a joke he does not know what Easter represents.

11. AFEPPL, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Hmmm, dunno, i googled random 4 entries and they all came back. (normal sites) excluding Brussels.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/28/asia/pakistan-bombing-lahore/
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iraq-suicide-bombing-1.3508024
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-musa-al-britani-kills-dozens-of-iraqi-troops
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-offen...de-bombing-more-us-marines-dispatched-1550641

Im not going to go through the list and check every one, but... if you wanted to, you could i guess.
    So I'm not sure your comment is any more or less biased... but I'm not going to argue the point either way.

Hitler proclaimed to be a Christian.

12. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Terrorism attacks would include car bombs, raids, hostages, etc. Not army-vs-army war nor its collateral civilian losses.

And yes, I wanted to bring the idea that what we experience is nothing compared to what they live. I remember in Spain back in the 80s-90s, basque terrorists were at the height of their influence, and everywhere in the news, and yet when we look at the numbers, there were under 1000 deaths. The 11M attacks we suffered in retaliation for the spanish participation in the Iraq invasion left another 192 deaths. I can't imagine what kind of climate it must be to live in a country where terrorism has claimed 40000 lives. The big picture I want to bring, is that if I lived in a country where 11M attacks are a daily occurrence, you can bet I'd be packing my stuff and trying to move to a peaceful country.

Most, probably. Just like last century's terrorism was marked by separatists, this early 21st century is about radical islam.
    Not necessarily. These numbers show what we would consider a terrorist attack in our own countries. War, airstrikes, etc would not be included.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent and well argued post; point taken, and very well made. And yes, I agree with you.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Does that include both foreign and domestic terrorism?

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That depends on the tactics used. And if financial harm is as relevant as any other form of harm...

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hussein keeps it simple, never use the word and it's not a problem.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hussein killed all the terrorists, that's why when he ran Iraq there were no problems like that.

18. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

In regions where the borders were drawn arbitrarily by western powers, disregarding cultural and religious reality, I don't think the terms domestic and foreign are adequate.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I can understand how it may appear that way to the simple minded but people with a brain know the difference between a gratuitous use of the term to slander people of an entire religion compared to calling out specific people and groups who kill in order to further a political agenda.

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Did that release your built up anger?

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Anger? More like disappointment that people can be so simple-minded. What you don't realize is that people like you are the mirror image of the terrorists. They want Muslims to believe that all Westerners are evil and you want everyone to believe that all Muslims are terrorists. You and the terrorists are nothing but troublemakers, fighting hate with hate.

22. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Your commitment to focusing on others... in order to avoid looking in the mirror and taking personal responsibility is very revealing.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you really believe only conservatives take personal responsibility?

24. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Can't deal with the truth so you need to deflect. Okay, I'll bite, what exactly is my personal responsibility that I'm refusing to acknowledge?

25. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Simple-minded? Mirror?
    What do you see when you look into the mirror?
    All Muslims? No. Terrorists who killed or injured hundreds of innocent people in Europe lately (Paris, Brussels) in the name of a religion, all Muslims? Yes.