Terrorist Attack Magazine HQ

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah this is indefensible.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Blowback coming. The muslims living in France better be out in front of this, condemning it in the strongest terms, or they may be shown the door.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Another day, another lunatic getting his (or her) jihad on.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

How horrid....... in the fairness of balance though, the french aren't exactly reknowned for their tolerance, so I wonder how much goading the magazine did.

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm confused. Are you saying the terrorists may have had a grievance that justified what they did? Because that's not balance, that's appeasement.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Eleven people were reported dead and four others were critically injured in a shooting at the office of a Paris-based satirical magazine Wednesday, France's president said, calling the attack a "terrorist operation."

Probably not a little goading.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yep lets just kill everyone who we disagree with

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

If you'd care to point out where I've made that comment, I'd be grateful.

10. Huntn, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I try to be balanced in my replies when it comes to terrorist acts, it's not always a black and white situation, that the terrorists are always wrong reacting in a vacuum. Without condoning such acts, frequently there are systemic issues involving discrimination and oppression behind the act.

However that said, the issue is the Islamic propensity of answering criticizm and satire with violence. Any civilized society should have standards of free speech that include the right to criticize and satirize without fear of being killed regardless of the subject. Fanaticism is not to be tolerated. It is pretty clear that the militant side of Islam has a world wide agenda of intolerance to criticism that should not be tolerated by civilized people.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

I can't remember if it was a dutch or french newspaper that angered muslim communities by publishing a depiction of the prophet mohammed too.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That was a Danish paper. They printed this Mohammed picture:

Attached Files:

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to sound that that directed towards you per se. However, you mentioned "...in the fairness of balance though, the french aren't exactly reknowned for their tolerance, so I wonder how much goading the magazine did."

I don't think "balance" is the right word here. A response that is balanced woulfd be if some terrorist organization released a satirical publication of their own goading and insulting the writers of this magazine. The point is not the content of which they wrote, they were killed because of what they wrote. So this over the top reaction should not be mentioned with "balance" or "fairness"

They write a magazine, it's just words and pictures. These guys choose how they want to interpret it and act on that accordingly

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Exept for the fact that most of them not only hold french passports but that their famiies have been for generations.

But I'm sure the US threw out all conspiracy theorists right after Oklahoma City.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When considering the militant side of Islam, appears appropriate as a critique of the movement that tries to institute its agenda using violent society destabilizing tacics.

16. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

12 dead, 4 seriously injured. Police looking for 3 gunmen. One wounded policeman was shot at point blank range through the head as he lay injured on the ground.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

However when the intention is to insult to the very core in front of a mass media market, the penance paid by a few may seem like an act to reach equilibrium.

I'm not saying its not an abhorrent act, and unnecessary, but when I will support physical action in favour of the things I believe, I can't condemn others for doing the same, even if there reasoning isn't the same as mine (in this case it ceraintly isn't the same as mine).

The ironicism is that many people on this board will support violent action taken in the middle east by the US and the UK, but will say that violence in the west from extreme islamists is a travesty and tantamount to nothing more than terrorism, this is a more divisive thing between the two cultures than any lone act of violence.

In this case, I think the retaliation is too much, but if the magazine has mocked their faith the vehemency of intolerance french society shows by and large, I'm not surprised it happened.

----------

Actually I've just seen the cartoon they were reacting too.

It was a total overreaction, but then I still don't know the context of what else had been published.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There is absolutely nothing the magazine could publish that wouldn't make murdering 12 people in cold blood an overreaction.

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Which just show that you don't even remotly comprehend what "tolerance" is supposed to mean.

Aslong as the magazines themselves don't advocate violence against muslims they were 100% in their right for freedom of speech.

Noone ever forced muslims to read those magazines and if they feel insulted by some strokes of ink, well thats their problem.

Now I have no problem tolerating people so retarded that they get worked up over non issues like "insulting religion", but that tolerance sharply ends when they try to force their mental deficencies onto anybody else.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

So someone being abusive about you is ok as long as its not to your face?

----------

Anyway, le penn is making a statement soon...... I'm sure he wont inflame anything :confused:

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

So who was abusive about those 2+ guys that killed 12 people ?

All I can find is that someone made some light jokes about a sheep-hearder that died over 1300 years ago.

Man these guys really sound like a bunch of spoiled 5 year old girls that have just missed their own birthday party.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what a reprehensible comment.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Actually the magazine has been on a campaign of desecrating the prophet mohammed it seems.

Portraying him in a wheelchair being pushed around by a jew, and depicting him naked a number of times..... So actually it seems they've been on a bit of a hate campaign.......

Things aren't always as black and white as you'd like them to be

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I stand appalled by such a statement, the murder of unarmed civilians should be condemned by all normal people.:(

One of the side effects of this terrorist attack on the freedom of speech, is it strengthens the parties like Front National, PVV, PEGIDA.

The tolerance of many center right governments are being put under pressure all over Europe.

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

So hurt feelings justify a mass killing?