Terrorist Attack On US Soil -- And Almost No One Notices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 22, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I can't imagine why this isn't a national story. We got weeks of pants-wetting from the usual suspects when someone failed to detonate a bomb in Times Square; yet here we have a working bomb that actually detonated -- and almost no one noticed.

I'd hate to think that it was because a mosque was the target...

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Hopefully they will catch those responsible and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

When they do catch the perp, should they read them their Miranda rights?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are actually a lot more instances of pipe bombs going off than are generally reported in mainstream media, it appears that this pipe bomb was intended to do structural damage to the building (which likely means the person is an idiot). Indeed an act of domestic terrorism, although motives can't be known for why the person did this.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh crap- that's awful. People are just crazy.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If the person was involved with a terrorist cell with the intent to destroy the US then I believe he shouldn't be given miranda rights until we can ascertain that this is isolated as opposed to other group members planning to set off bombs.

As a side note, I would be looking for a white male in his 40s.

7. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

You don't ascertain anything before you make the decision to mirandize someone. It's literally the first thing the cop says to you after she says "you're under arrest". The decision about mirandization needs to be made before the arrest happens.

As for terrorist cell with the intent to destroy the US, if the perp turns out to have associations with an anti-government militia, I'd say that your criteria has been fulfilled.

I still think it's wrong to selectively remove someone's rights without due process.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They'll likely have enough evidence without needing the testimony or evidence provided by the future plaintiff's words. Interrogate him and then mirandize him before he confesses.

I don't imagine its going to be real easy to hide remnants of bomb making in your house these days with the tech we have. If there was anyone inside the building this guy should be up for the death penalty.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Amen.

But you never know. He might be the only person who knows that a mega pipe bomb is planted under New York city and that Jack Bauer only has 1 hour to find and defuse is before it goes off.

So really, it's your obligation to torture him.

You can't be too careful.

Just in case.

:rolleyes:

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You use a pipe bomb for collateral damage on humans (explosion + metal shrapnal), if you want to blow up a building bigger than a flimsy garage you might want to go a little bigger.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a pipe bomb the size of Manhattan.

Hurry! Only 45 minutes to go.

Better start pulling out his fingernails.

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

:confused:

This is not possible.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The officer's act of reciting the suspect's rights is not a magical incantation that creates those rights where they did not exist before. The suspect always has those rights. The Miranda decision only found that a confession could not be considered voluntary if it was given because police relied on the suspect's ignorance of his right not to incriminate himself. For us to admit a confession obtained that way would be no different from calling a warrantless search of a suspect's home consensual simply because the suspect did not know it was his right to demand a warrant.

Thus Miranda only instructs police that they must inform the suspect of his rights prior to questioning, and all the hand-wringing about whether terror suspects "deserve" to be Mirandized is a rather shocking and embarrassing display of ignorance on the part of the lawmakers who indulged in it. Windmills do not work that way. Good night.

As an aside, I have recently been watching the late 60's incarnation of Dragnet on Netflix streaming, which was produced right after the Miranda decision. More interesting is the difference to the older pre-Miranda episodes. It is funny to watch how stiffly scrupulous Friday and Gannon are about their Miranda obligations in every episode, and interesting to observe the currency of the issue. There are a couple of episodes where officers express extreme frustration at how courts have tied their hands by making them tell suspects they can have a lawyer.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes it is.

15. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

We really have to stand up against such hate crimes, targeting any religious or minority group.

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's like telling someone to have sex, but put on a condom right before you blow. While you might technically be able to pull it off, the odds are high that you won't. If you're waiting that long, the confession will have a high probability of *ahem* coming before the mirandization occurs.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It is perfectly legal to get information from a perpetrator that may endanger US security before merandizing him. There is no way we could know if he has a group of people about to blow a few other US buildings up.

Who knows who this kook is running with, he could have 5 other people waiting to blow up a building somewhere else and we would lose the chance to act on it if he was merandized (assuming he didn't know his rights already).

18. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not if that perpetrator is a US citizen.

That same argument could be made about any crime. There is no way we could know if a rapist has a group of people about to rape others. There is no way we could know if a killer has a group of people about to kill other. There is no way we could know if a thief has a group of people about to steal other stuff. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Here's the thing -- just because a cop doesn't mirandize someone doesn't mean they don't have that right. What it means is that any evidence gained prior to mirandization is inadmissible in court.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not if the perpetrator is within the jurisdiction of the United States, citizen or not.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I believe they can be declared an enemy combatant at present time, and I don't think it would be totally uncalled for since the person just made an attack to a US building.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/us/politics/10holder.html

In any case the Administration is looking at loosening the restrictions to do what I want to do.

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well said.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm so glad Canada's getting you.

One less person who believes in ignoring the Constitution cluttering up America.

23. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

So any attack on a US building can get you declared an enemy combatant? What about an attack on a US road sign? Them things are pockmarked with buckshot around here. Could I get the perps declared enemy combatants and have their rights stripped?

And they're wrong. But I'm just an Obot, what do I know.

Now, about that link to proof of CA giving illegal immigrants driver's licenses... :p

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not unconstitutional at all, if someone's attempt is to attack the US they are now an enemy combatant. I can't be sure what the intent of this particular person was, but he should be swiftly brought to justice.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry ZA but your insistence of something does not decide the constitutionality of something.