Tesla accused of knowingly selling defective vehicles in new lawsuit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AutoUnion39, Feb 22, 2018.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/21/17036426/tesla-lemon-cars-whistleblower-lawsuit
    Oh no Elon! What is going on with your company? When will Tesla finally figure out how to properly build cars?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Stock up 2.5% today. I'd classify this as a nothing burger. Go to the teslamotorsclub.com and see how much excitement there still is about this car and you'll realize that you're wasting your time with all this negative news.

3. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

TIL it's no big deal that Tesla willingly sells defective cars to the public.

Tesla fans are excited about the Model 3? You don't say...

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

No one knows if they are purposely selling defective cars. I do know they are going faster than they would like. But lemon laws are there to protect consumers in such cases.

5. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

ALL car companies and dealerships do, this is nothing unusual. My dealership sold me a lemon knowingly. After I found out the only thing they did was pay for repairs forever. I couldn't even get a new car.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

What is the third photo? Is this a few units coming out bad, or a large amount?

IDK about this. If it was any other car company, I doubt their fans would just dismiss it as a nothing burger. I know their competitors wouldn't.

Of course, if this is just a few odd units in a thousand, then I would agree with you.

Good point. I wonder if anyone else would come forward.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2018 ---
    How do you know that they knew? Was this a new car?

7. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Here's Tesla's response.

"Tesla's customer satisfaction scores for Model 3 vehicle quality and condition are at an all-time high of 94% — the best scores we've received from customers for quality and condition ever, across all of our vehicles, during early ownership. In the rare case a customer does have an issue, we take it very seriously, working closely with each owner to proactively address it."

I think the lemons are few and far between.

8. AutoUnion39, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This makes no sense. If the car was actually a lemon, there are laws in place to protect you. All you have to do is file a lemon law claim and if it meets the requirements, you get your money back.

In Tesla's case, they don't have traditional dealers. They sell direct-to-consumer, so it's on them.
    Other Model 3 owners in that thread have reported serious issues with their cars

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/7ys7xv/model_3_build_issues/

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

IDK, seems like it doesn't really address the claim.

A friend of mine bought two of the Model 3, I am not sure if they were delivered yet, I will find out what he thinks about them.

He currently has a Model S, and he thinks it is okay, and a little overrated.

I was a little curious about the Model 3 for my new vehicle, but I probably will not get one.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I honestly don't know what to believe, if this is overblown or truth.

But concerning lemon laws, I'm wondering if the details of it needs to be updated, due to how dependent the Tesla and some other cars are on technology.

11. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Does Elon not teach basic statistics at the employee training seminars?

They've made like 5 Model 3s so far and the majority of them have gone to current Tesla owners. The sample size is far too small (and biased) to draw any meaningful conclusions from.

12. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I can only give you my experience. I was one of the first to get a Model S in early 2013 and the fit and finish wasn't ideal but the drivetrain was rock solid after 75K miles. Lowest maintenance car I've owned in 30 years.

My Model 3 is two months old and the drivetrain is perfect with no issues. The only problems I've had are software glitches which will be resolved via OTA updates.

Tesla is definitely rushing production to meet demand and it shows.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

14. A.Goldberg, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Because Tesla has an excellent history with being the arbiters of truth. Then again, the opposing information is brought to us by @AutoUnion39.

Pretty much every independent review has criticized the fit and finish of the Model 3. Tesla also refuses to participate with JD Power Assoc ratings which might imply something. We’ll see how things work out once they actually start making significant numbers of the car. While early adopters might put up with the headaches of production issues, not everyone will. If quality issues continue resale is going to be atrocious on these given the high repair costs, limited dealer network/availability, proprietary repairs, longevity concerns by consumers, and general resale underperformance of all EV’s.

15. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Look at Model S coming off the lines today. There are no fit and finish issues. In time, the same will happen with the Model 3. It's the reason Tesla is only selling to current owners today. They will be more forgiving.

17. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

When I took them to court the judge sided with them basically even though I was in the right and my car was a lemon. I'm 100% sure my judge was bought but at least I get free repairs at this point. (My city is super corrupt)

18. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That was last week so 10K is very realistic today. I don't work for Tesla. They did claim 2500 a week but publicly pushed it back to Q2 already. Changing the world doesn't come without risk.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

In engineering there is a tolerance.
    If those parts are within published engineering tolerance, it is not defective.

Sure it looks bad, but it is not necessarily defective.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

We get it, you don't like Tesla. Anyone looking through your post history will come to that conclusion. Its really hard to have a conversation with someone that is incredibly biased.

21. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

Ya it had 112 miles on it, brand new lol. They even admitted in court it was a lemon and had been in an "freak accident" before me, they just repaired it and sold it off to me. Judge still sided with them.

22. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Reminds me of Android users complaining about every Apple misstep as they took over the smartphone world.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Yes, I would hope Tesla can figure out their manufacturing issues. Can you say with certainty there are no fit and finish issues in the S/X? The original model s and x had troubles upon release, the problem is if they’re pumping out these mainstream cars too fast and slacking on the quality control, it’s going to create even more problems with the apparently already overwhelmed service centers. They should also be concerned with their warranty budgets, especially since Tesla spends more money on warranties per car already compared to any other brand.
    It appears there are two very biased sides here. One that posts Tesla is failing every week, another that defends Tesla to the death. My stance is Tesla has the possibility to do very well, but they need to be careful with their quality, finances, and infrastructure. It’s not like the competition is not coming. The drivetrain of the car is rather simple compared to building the rest of the car- as demonstrated with most of Tesla’s problems.

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

What competition? The lack of competition is why Tesla is not in a rush to get quality up. There are no EVs with 200 miles (let alone 300) of range with a nationwide high speed charging network.

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

While I agree with you, this OP has a long track record of this. Because he is starting the thread about complaining about Tesla, Tesla defenders are going to come in and fire back. There is a way to handle this objectively, but the OP is only doing so subjectively. I am in-different on this topic, but its impossible to have a conversation with someone that is so far gone on their bias.