Tesla kills base $35,000 Model 3, increases prices, makes Autopilot standard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AutoUnion39, Apr 12, 2019.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

https://electrek.co/2019/04/11/telsa-35000-model-3/

[​IMG]

Scam artist Elon strikes again.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

How so? Standard models are still available.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup

"Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend."

"Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost."

Not mentioned is that SR now get the vegan leather seats instead of cloth.

I think most customers are fine with it.

The real issue is that prices continue to come down hurting early adopters.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Pretty poor scam, most car dealers put a $40,000+ sticker price on a car they will sell for $35,000 at least what you see is what you pay.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Booo...Hisss.... I want a bare bones EV--ABS, power steering and power brakes only (windshield optional;)). No VSC, no brake assist, lane departure garbage, no radio, no speakers, no A/C. That crap only adds useless weight to a car and the new fangle driver assist junk overrides the driver.:mad:

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

6. cube, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

cube macrumors P6

It is good that they make driver assist standard. It is bad that they call it Autopilot.

Level 3: BAD

Above: too soon

7. stylinexpat, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I was just looking into the lease numbers for the Tesla Model 3 Performance Model and they don't look so attractive. Roughly $5K down and $32K for 3 years so roughly $37K of money down the drain 3 years later as at the end of the 3 years you have to return car back to them with no option to buy it out. $37K worth of payments after 3 years and no car at the end. Buy a VW GTI for $30K and after 3 years you own the car and have equity in the car. With the Tesla Model 3 you have no equity and no car at the end of the 3 years. The VW GTI was just an example.

8. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

It's not a good deal. Purchase is better.

However, there are many business buyers that will only lease and this is a good choice for them.

9. cube macrumors P6

As I said in another thread, MPGe numbers are misleading. It is based on how much electricity is needed to produce as much heat as a gallon of fuel. Not how much fossil fuel is needed to generate the electricity required to move the car.

10. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

They are misleading because the cost of electricity also plays a role.

In my experience, most can do better than the posted MPGe making EVs even better than ICE from a cost perspective.

11. cube macrumors P6

Then it should be MP$.

12. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I knew the second I read this news article that this dude would make a thread here on PRSI about it.

Wonder what has got these GM plant workers like OP all riled up?

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

In my opinion, for all intents and purposes, Tesla has “discontinued” the $35,000 base Model 3. That said, it doesn’t even exist. All base short range models have the plus interior. In that Tesla no longer advertises this model (or the RWD long range) on their site and presumably not in stores either, unless you’re in the know you wouldn’t even know they exist. And I’m sure when you call to special order it they will do everything they can to upsell it. I think this is a clear indicator Tesla cannot build a $35000 Model 3 and have it be profitable, which most people assumed all along.

With all of Teslas price lowering, then raising, then closing stores, then opening them, then announcing the $35,000 Model 3, and weeks later taking it off their site... it’s evident Tesla is having some major problems. Every week or so they seem to completely restructure their business plan. Model S and X sales notsurprisingly are in the gutter. I don’t think the demand is what they expected. There’s been what, 3 separate rounds of layoffs in very recent time. Panasonic is withholding expansion of the gigafactory. The Model Y was disappointing I think for most people. Tesla can spin all of this however they wish but none of these are particularly good signs for a company.

If you follow how this company operates they bend reality and create outlandish plans to keep things moving forward. I give them credit for that, but at some point their will be competition and people will realize paying thousands of dollars just to have a white car is ridiculous.

That said, I don’t think EV’s are going to disappear and I give Musk credit for revolutionizing the auto industry and perceptions of EVs. I don’t think Tesla will disappear either, but I have trouble seeing them as the automotive leader of the future as some like to believe. I think there’s a much better chance they become a supplier of technology + national EV charging systems and/or moving back to a high end niche.

MPGe in itself is a rather useless metric and is in some ways inherently a bit misleading. I suppose it’s most valuable comparing one EV to another.

Having lived in the same town as the OP directly outside Boston and knowing him for several years, I can say he does not work for GM or any auto manufacturer. “Autounion” was a German automaker from which Audi came from.

14. cube macrumors P6

If you count EVs as having "0" CO2 impact there's less incentive for efficiency improvements.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Seems like there should be a viable market for converting existing cars to electric.

16. cube macrumors P6

When will you be able to get AP3 for any model?

17. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

The hardware is shipping now. Software features get enabled over time.

Navigate on autopilot just got enabled.

18. cube macrumors P6

Can anybody order an upgrade already?

19. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

No, because there's no software that requires it yet.

It's a free upgrade for those who ordered FSD.

20. cube macrumors P6

When will you be able to get traffic sign recognition for every car Tesla made?

21. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

For how long? This is the Model S 40 version 2.0.

Didn't Tesla tell us that they need to close their dealers to make the SR model? Now they're telling us you have to go to those same dealers to buy the SR model...

22. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The upgrade is free for those who were dumb enough to pay for FSD upfront.

23. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Is Tesla required to make the SR available at $35K forever?

We've had inflation since it was announced.

You can order over the phone.

24. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

But it’s not $35,000. They’re forcing you to get Autopilot, so the price is $37,000.

What a BS excuse.

If that were true, why does Tesla lower their prices every other week?

Inflation affects the $35k Model 3, but not the $60k Model 3 LR AWD?

25. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I'm a big fan of these new electric cars,E-Scooters,E-Bikes and electric skateboards. Electric motorcycles coming in soon as well but the numbers for them need to make sense cost wise. In China at the moment and other parts of Asia they do make sense but in the US at the moment some make sense and many don't make sense.