Tesla Model 3 Leaves Drivers Without FM, A2DP or USB Audio. Are EVs the future?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AutoUnion39, Sep 26, 2017.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

http://www.thedrive.com/news/14610/tesla-model-3-leaves-drivers-with-no-way-to-play-their-own-music

[​IMG]

Seems kind of ridiculous that a Silicon Valley automaker is actually trying to release a car with limited functionality.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

The article was updated to add:

Update: Tesla has informed The Drive that any features listed on the Model 3 website—which includes FM radio and Bluetooth media streaming—not yet available on the vehicle will be activated soon via an over-the-air update.​

3. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This begs the question: why aren't rudimentary features like an FM radio ready to go? What else is Tesla hiding?

4. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

When it comes to cars, for me less is more. Less useless features (radios are useless features for me), less dead weight. Tesla is piquing my interest now. If there's an option where they strip off all the useless tech and get it under 3000lbs, I would get one in a heartbeat.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I remember when you had to crank your windows up and down, we should go back to those days. Sub-zero temps and a wind chill in Chicago that would cause your testicles to retreat up near your gall bladder, window froze shut. Broke the damn crank which made having a cigarette difficult and hazardous.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Tesla turned me off with their OTA update that gave people in the path of a hurricane extra range. If Tesla can change my car in such a profound way with OTA I do not want any part of it since I no longer control it.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Although, if you can control, control of the update and to know everything it changed, then I would be OK.

9. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

Back to the days when a 190hp V6 was considered high performance? I'll pass. Although windows that goes up and down? Don't need 'em; a useless feature and just another thing to break.;):p:D

I know the Tesla can go fast, but with a curb weight of 2 tons, its handling around a curve would not be all that entertaining. Right now, the only street legal car that interest me is the Ariel Atom 3 (under 1500lbs:eek:). It's a freaking street legal go-kart. A common saying among racers I hang with is, "Straightaways are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers."

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I remember when a buddy of ours pulled up in his brand new 1993 Mustang. He thought he "made it", cool as cool could be. It was the 2.3L 4cyl. Someone planted women's underwear in his gym locker.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

It's really not that scary if you understand it. At some point, Tesla figured out that it doesn't make sense to make 3 different batteries for the 3 trims of models they sold at the time. In other words, it's more efficient for them to just make two sizes and gimp one of them in software than three sizes.

The sizes changed over time, but when they started this they sold both the 60 and 75 models with 75kWh packs installed. The people who paid for the higher model got the full 75kWh usable right away, and the people who chose to pay less had their batteries limited to 60kWh by software. You could then "unlock" the extra capacity later on with a credit card. Some said this is like an in-app purchase, except you already had the hardware there. What they did in Florida was temporarily unlock the extra capacity for people as a courtesy to give them a bit more range.

Anyone that owns a Tesla actually like this system, and isn't offended by it, for one main reason: This is good for the battery. We know that charging a lithium ion battery to 100% isn't so good for it, and fast-charging isn't so good for it either. However, losing 0.1% battery health here and there is mere minutes on a phone or laptop - no big deal. It could add up to miles in a car - which could be a big deal. For that reason, most Tesla owners on their forums say they don't charge their cars more than 70 or 80% unless they know they need the full range the next day. The app actually lets you select how much to charge the battery and at what percent to stop. Likewise, they use the fast-charging system sparingly and only when they are actually on a long road trip and need the fast charge. Again, the app lets you select how fast to charge.

Tesla was really doing a favor to those folks who saved money and bought the cheaper software-limited model. Assuming you bought the 65kWh model knowing that range was fine for you. No matter what minor deficiencies in the 75kWh battery arose from fast-charging or charging to 100% too often, the software capped it at 65kWh. So if your battery was worn down to 72kWh, e.g., you lost 3kWh due to being bad to the battery, nothing changed since you were still limited to 65kWh. From the consumer perspective, this is really nice and consistent.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I get the reason they did it but it doesn't mean I like the control they have over the car. There's a reason I'm a Linux user it's not because I wanted to learn a whole new operating system at 30 it's because I want control, it's mine computer, car, phone and anything else I purchase.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

If you equate ownership with total control, and anything less than total control is not ownership, then fair enough.

I consider ownership to be more of a bundle of many rights, obligations, privileges, etc. Tesla is at least contractually obligated to not interfere my use and enjoyment of the car as it was negotiated at the time of purchase. If they want to remotely improve it, fine. But they can't remotely make it worse. So far, I do trust in our courts and the rule of law to ensure that - though the current government is starting to shake that trust.

However, today, when it comes to technology and internet, you don't really control anything anyway. We are at the mercy of our ISPs, carriers, and providers for most things today. What good is my phone if the carriers all unilaterally decide to block that IMEI? What good is my computer these days if the ISPs refuse to give me a connection? What good is my TV if I can't get content for it?

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Waiting for the automated car when I can just put on my earphones and listen to music while relaxing....

15. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

It's gonna be a long wait. Even if they can produce a viable self driving car within the next 10 years, there is still the moral aspect that needs to be wrestled with. Should the safety of the occupant takes priority? At first blush, it seems an obvious, "well, duh. First Law of Robotics, dude." But what if some kid runs across the street in front of the car and it cannot stop on time? If protecting the occupant comes first, then swerving could endanger the occupant (tree, ditch, other cars). So it's 50 points (Death Race 2000) for running over the kid.

The car will do what it's programmed to do, no moral dilemma for a computer. Finding a balance point between occupant safety and the safety of those outside the vehicle is gonna be long and drawn out. Our Gub'ment moves at glacial speed.

16. juanm, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

And they don’t come with a cassette player! Not even as an option!! Outrageous!

You sound like you work in the auto industry and you feel threatened by Tesla’s direct-to-consumer business model.
    I don’t think it’s hiding anything: they sell cars that can gain new features via updates. The CEO has been literally making his plans public for a decade, and yet people are surprised when he then does what he said he’d do (albeit a bit late, usually).

1. Make an expensive sports car, and use the profits to fund...
    2. A mass produced luxury sedan, and create a charging network and reinvert the profits to make a second...
    3. Luxury car (an SUV) while developing the charging network in order to reach the real goal: a...
    4. Mass produced affordable sedan and also
    5. A semi truck
    6. another sports car
    7. A pickup truck
    8. a minibus

The auto industry has literally been told what the next steps were going to be for years, and yet they chose to enjoy bailouts and subsidies (while cheating and lobbying against environmental regulations), because it’s easier and cheaper than taking risks and innovating, despite having orders of magnitude more resources. Frankly, they deserve everything that’s coming to them. I plan on buying a Model 3 as soon as they are available where I live, even if the upfront cost is more than a petrol car. Fully electric cars are the future.

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    I think it was a very nice gesture. Being able to buy a cheaper car and upgrade it later on if you need more features sounds awesome. Also, not having to deal with car dealerships, just doing everything online/from the app.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

From what I've read the Model 3 will have an FM radio, but not an AM radio. Still a ridiculous concept in this day and age if you ask me. I still use AM radio to listen to local radio news. Not everyone wants to rely on subscription based audio sources either.

Furthermore, Tesla seems to be sticking it to Apple by not providing iPod ntegrarion in their current models.

From what I've also read the Model 3 seems way too over simplified in its physical controls. Having to go into the touch screen to preform all sorts of functions isn't necessarily easier... or safer.

Hard to justify that line of thinking on a "luxury" car.

Or Tesla is saving money on warranties and having to build more battery pack sizes. This new electronic electronic unlocking of features is becoming pretty normal however. You'll see a lot of cars with the required hardware to preform functions, but require a software unlock to use the feature (ex. Navigation systems). Going back even further car companies have played this game with things like heated seats- having the heating filaments and wiring installed in all models, and then just installing the switches as the $500 heated seat option.

I guess you'll have to wait for the day the law allows driving with headphones (illegal in most jurisdictions from what I know) :p

18. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

You’ve made that point before, but the Model 3 is not marketed as luxury. Model S is. People tend to assume that because it came after the Model S, it should be better in every way. You want luxury/high end/premium get the S or X. These two will always be better and quicker.

I do agree somewhat with the physical controls, although we’ve been there before, when the iPhone removed the keyboard entirely, and people said “I want my keyboard”. How well the screen is implemented can change everything, and the flexibility it brings is impossible to achieve with buttons.

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, like I said, it's most likely about saving money in operations. Operations and marketing are always at odds in these sorts of companies. Marketing says they want to offer 12 different options. Operations says that is a logistical nightmare. They make it work in the ways you described very often.

The other example I think of is with headphones. The Sennheiser HD555 ($200) are the exact same as the Sennheiser HD595 ($350) but for a piece of foam blocking some of the outside vents on the lower-end model. Same drivers, same circuit, same everything else. Remove the foam from the 555, and you have 595. Super easy to do. I bet marketing said - we need another headphone option at the $200 price point. Operations said, rather than dedicate engineering to designing a whole new thing and manufacturing to making it, why not just take something they already have designed and have manufacturing for, and make it somehow a tad worse.

I believe TV companies do this too often. Having different models with 3 HDMI ports instead of 4, where they just block the fourth port with a piece of plastic. Even Apple does stuff like this sometimes.

20. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Quick, in one two performance metrics, a couple of times before dialback/overheat, "refueling" logistics concerns, with _no_ soul and a Camry interior for $100K+, no thanks. :p

Anyway ... :D

If you get a chance to just drive an Atom, it's a hoot, I had a chance with an early model, on track (at Roebling Road). FWIW, while it is "street legal", it's without question a weekend only, or a motorcycle substitute (in terms of usability/flexibility).

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

By the time a Tesla is affordable AND worth having, all the cars for sale will be electric.

22. Eraserhead, Sep 26, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why use headphones when your car already comes with a better sound system :)
    The big advantage of an electric car is that they are much simpler mechanically, so should do maybe a million miles vs maybe 200,000 in a petrol car or 300,000 in a diesel.
    Yeah, but millions of people listen to the radio in the car, or music on their phones and everyone uses the windscreen wipers.

23. AutoUnion39, Sep 26, 2017

AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yet Teslas have significantly more quality and reliability issues than most ICE cars.

What makes you think that?

Fortunately, I haven't drank the kool-aid yet. The direct-to-consumer business model doesn't work. Take a peak at the Tesla forums. There are serious issues with parts availability (both at the service centers and body shops) and service appointment scheduling. Tesla's service network is already being overworked from the Model S and X. Adding hundreds of thousands of Model 3s (assuming Tesla actually ramps up production in a timely manner) to that network is a recipe for disaster.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who the **** uses a CD/fm? As long as they update for phone music interfacing it will be fine. Traditional car manufacturers make such bad user interfaces in their cars it would actually be an upgrade to have nothing in the car.

I'm still waiting for car play or Android auto in my 2k16.

25. AutoUnion39, Sep 26, 2017

AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

So what happens when you drive your Model 3 out of LTE coverage? No AM radio. No FM radio. No Bluetooth Audio. No iOS USB input. No Sirius XM.

Do you expect me to carry around a little bluetooth speaker to pay music inside my $40-50k car?