Tesla Model 3 volume production delayed 3 months as company posts loss of $619.4 million

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AutoUnion39, Nov 2, 2017.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/01/tesla-model-3-production-delayed/

Is Tesla really worth more than Ford or GM? They can't even execute one launch correctly.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Tesla is looking like VW in quality control and reliability. They seem to have issues with endless small things.

3. kobalap macrumors 6502

GM or Ford? Pffft.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    If Tesla survives, that might wind up being true. But then again, Tesla is just now learning how to scale building cars in the hundreds of thousands per year. And they are doing things no other car manufacturer has done before at this scale. There are bound to be growing pains.

Whereas VW has been around forever, building cars at their massive quantities scale forever, using technology that has been around forever. That they haven't gotten their shiite together is absolutely inexcusable.

4. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

VW might be struggling but their cash cows, Porsche and Audi, aren't...

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In 20 years when Tesla is far ahead in the electric game, yes. GM and Ford have been making cars for decades but they are at the end of their cycle if they can’t make good electric cars.

6. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Did you forget that GM has already beat Tesla to an affordable mass-market EV? (Bolt)

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I said good not cheap.

8. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I'm curious... What's wrong with the Bolt? And what makes Tesla products so "good?"

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How many Bolts have sold compared to Tesla. Most Chevy products look cheap and dated. Is their battery technology better than what Musk is developing.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

This video sums it up pretty well. Basically, paying for $35k for the interior of a Chevy Sonic is a nonstarter for a lot of people. The Tesla 3 obviously won't be as luxurious as the Tesla S or X, but it's already shown to have a much nicer interior and performance than the Bolt.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Every major car company from the US, Europe, Japan and Korea has at least 1 electric that could be build in masses at short notice.

They are all more or less competitive compared to Tesla, some are smaller, some are bigger others focus on range.

But they are all sold with an actual profit margin.

Once Tesla starts doing that, their magic will be lost.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Musk is more about changing the world than making money. The guy wants to spend his money going to mars I don’t think he cares about profits anymore.

13. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/1...s-octobers-best-selling-ev-could-it-be-2017s/

Looks like the Bolt is selling pretty well.

Key word: Developing

Tesla has, yet, to meet a production goal that Musk has set. As of right now, Tesla isn't using any propriety battery technology. Their battery packs are similar to everyone else.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    It has? What's your experience with the Model 3? Do you own one?

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

No, I don't. But they have delivered them to some number of people, and there are plenty of reviews on youtube.

Look, I'm glad GM made the Bolt, but I think it's naive to say that Tesla's value is doomed because GM beat them to market by a little bit. It's good to have competition. I wish GM luck on their next EV, but the Bolt v 3 is no contest.

15. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

16. A.Goldberg, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Yes, let’s get one thing straight. Tesla does not “develop” batteries. They buy the technology form Panasonic.

Tesla seems to have more problems building the car itself than utilizing EV technology. Maybe they should buy up Dodge or some worthless brand to get some semblance of mass manufacturing.

I don’t think most other brands don’t feel they couldn’t building a full EV, they just don’t want to be the first to invest all the money into it and risk their wallets.

Tesla needs to be careful not to overstate their ambitious goals, then fail to succeed, and squander their already questionable credibility.

In other news Tesla was awarded an battery electrical grid project in Australia for around $50m, with the promise it would be up and running in ~100 days from signing the contract -or the project was FREE-. After winning the bus, they soon realized this was not going to happen, so they called up the PM of Australia, apologized, and basically got a pass on the “free” part. This is according inside sources.

17. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Google “2170 battery”.

Yes, Tesla has some quality control issues and has a poor track record when it comes to deadlines, but other manufacturers are so far behind that a few years from now it won’t matter much.

18. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Notice how I said "as of right now"

Tesla (sorry, Panasonic) 2170 cells are not being used in the Model S or X.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I get the feeling the OP is feeling threatened by Tesla. Just going by user name.

20. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

He dodged the question when I asked him in the last thread he created to complain about the Model 3 not having AM radio.

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Sure,maybe,whatever...

Even his pockets lack infinitive depth, so he either has to turn a profit one or limit the number of cars he offers.

The idea that he will just waltz over car companies that each year put out *10000 over the cars he ever did is laughable.
    Sure some may fail, and if all goes well Tesla may end up with 2 or 3% market share but thats where it will end (unless they get swallowed up by such a giant).

22. AutoUnion39, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Why would I feel threatened?

Am I supposing to be giving them free passes for every broken deadline or poor quality product, like the Tesla apologists?

If GM or Ford pulled the same stunts, Wall Street would crucify them.

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

24. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

The abolishment of the electric vehicle tax credit will be interesting for Musk. Might help Tesla restructure into a leaner, more focused competitor.