TESTED: iPhone 5 web browsing battery life horrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Timzer macrumors 6502

So the guys at Which? have run a test on browsing time with all the latest smartphones, and just as many have complained, the web browsing time on a iPhone 5 or 4S sucks.

[​IMG]

SOURCE

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why screen brightness set to max?
    Mine NEVER is

I'd say that has a very detrimental affect
    And the affect screen brightness has prolly varies widely between phones

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

right? I don't know anyone that uses full brightness. They should have done half brightness.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It says max brightness to "give a fair and realistic estimate of the battery life users will experience in every day use"

I say it is more likely "to make sure the iPhone battery drains as fast as possible in comparison to other phones which don't get as bright as the iPhone"

I don't know many if any people who use max brightness in every day use on their iPhone

5. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

It skews the numbers as well because max brightness on an iPhone is extremely bright where as max brightness on an S3 is barely as bright as an iPhone on 1/3rd brightness. You can't really hold it against the iPhone that it gets much brighter than the S3. The HTC One X is also a lot brighter than the S3 and it did about the same as the iPhone. They would need to calibrate the displays to equal brightness for the test to actually mean anything.

6. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

My battery info usually shows that the screen uses over 50% of the battery on my phone (SGS3). Setting maximum brightness will likely have an impact on the battery life. I know that the SGS3 at maximum brightness is about the same as the iPhone 5 at 50% brightness. I did a side by side comparison at the store. I generally set mine to auto-brightness and most of the time, I'm indoors, so even max brightness on my SGS3 is not necessary.

7. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Test is amateurish at best. You're a teensy bit too eager, OP.

8. jehartley macrumors member

First, I have always used my iPhones at full brightness. Everyone I know does as well. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to. It's bright, crisp, and beautiful. If you need to turn the brightness down, then something is wrong with your eyes. So, I think the test is valid by using it at full brightness.

Second, who cares that it doesn't last longer? Why are you browsing this long on your phone anyway? Geez. I think some people take the use of their phone a bit too far.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

10. jehartley macrumors member

11. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

When you poop in a dream, you poop for realz!

12. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

13. yoshimeow macrumors member

the S3 has a nice large display but if you have seen one in person you know the screen is not very bright at all. THis may have a huge impact to battery life.. iphone on full brightness is definitely a lot brighter than the S3 on full brightness.

14. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

As someone who has owned both the S3 and iPhone 5, it's a BS result.

The S3 was lucky to make a day on a charge, the iPhone 5 will normally do 2.

I'm at between 50-60% at the end of the day in the i5.

I actually had 0% left and shut down on the S3 more than once. Never had more than 20% left at days end.

15. Homersapien macrumors newbie

Or maybe it simply is that the way one uses his/her phone will result in dramatically different results from other users? Your 5 goes 2 days on a charge? I tried two 5s, both hit bottom after 4/5 hours of use and 20/24 hours of standby. Neither would get anywhere near two days without a charge, with minor usage.

16. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

My usage hasn't changed, similar usage on the S3 resulted in less than a day on the battery, probably no more than 12 hours.

Using the iphone 5 with the same simcard on the same network in the same area results in an easy 2 days usage.

What you did, or didn't do has absolutely no bearing on my usage experience of both phones which I owned and used.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...and another troll thread rears its ugly head.

Horrible? really? At least try...

18. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

19. pankajgoyal macrumors newbie

The battry life of my iphone 4s after upgrading to iOS 6 is always horrible

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody who has full brightness on their eyes will be damaged long term... Not safe doing such a thing

Web browsing has always been great for me

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

How do you get medium 3G reception consistently?

I'm getting great battery life on my 5. Goes all day without worry. The best part is that it recharges extremely fast. Fastest I subjectively remember from any device I have owned (about 1% per minute or faster).

22. Radiating macrumors 65816

FYI the iPhone's screen (both the 4/4S & 5) is TWICE as bright as the Galaxy S3 and I beleive 50% brighter than the HTC one X's screen...

It's also ridiculous to say that it's "horrible" considering it's better than the average.

If it was actually set to the same brightness as the Galaxy S3 it would crush it and other tests have shown that it does.

23. pheenix11 macrumors regular

The battery life on my iPhone 5 is considerably better than it was on my iPhone 4S.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I used my iPhone 4S on max brightness. But the iPhone five seems much brighter, and I only use it at about 70% brightness.