Testing health of non S.M.A.R.T. drives

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Any recommendations for drive health apps for non S.M.A.R.T. drives?

Edit: This should be moved to Mac Apps

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Any recommendations for drive health apps for non S.M.A.R.T. drives?

Edit: This should be moved to Mac Apps
What non SMART drive do you have? Almost all modern drives have SMART functionality.

If you're trying to check the SMART status of an external (USB/Firewire) drive, this will not natively work on OS X. However if you install this driver and restart the machine, it should then work fine.

If this is not the case, please can you advise what model of drive you cannot get SMART readings on? From here we can see if maybe there's an OEM diagnostic application to check the health.

Reactions: Weaselboy

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the in depth response. A little more information, the drive in question belongs to a colleague and it's An OWC PCIe blade. I've never owned a non SMART drive and didn't know if there were applications as straightforward as DriveDX perhaps available.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
What non SMART drive do you have? Almost all modern drives have SMART functionality.

If you're trying to check the SMART status of an external (USB/Firewire) drive, this will not natively work on OS X. However if you install this driver and restart the machine, it should then work fine.

If this is not the case, please can you advise what model of drive you cannot get SMART readings on? From here we can see if maybe there's an OEM diagnostic application to check the health.
This will work to check an external ssd thru tb?

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the in depth response. A little more information, the drive in question belongs to a colleague and it's An OWC PCIe blade. I've never owned a non SMART drive and didn't know if there were applications as straightforward as DriveDX perhaps available.
I think OWC SSD support SMART. Aren't they?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The PCIe blades don't as far as I can tell.
That's because OWC's PCIe SSDs are just two SATA 6Gbps drives sitting behind a RAID controller and SATA to PCIe bridge. SSDs with built-in hardware RAID don't usually support TRIM, SMART etc due to the RAID controller lacking support.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRxROBOT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.