tethered 5.0 to untethered 5.0.1 via pwnage...install Corona?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I was jb and tethered on 5.0 with my ip4 (1.59.00 bb) and used pwnage to preserve my bb and upgrade to untethered 5.0.1. I've read that pwnage doesn't have certain fixes that redsn0w has so I'm wondering if installing Corona will install those fixes that I'm missing. I've been having some issues with my phone going to "No Signal" and/or locking up and requiring a reboot and I'm thinking that maybe I need those fixes.

I do know that the purpose of Corona was to provide an easy way for people to go from tethered 5.0.1 to untethered 5.0.1 but I'm hoping that maybe I can also use it to install those fixes that the latest version of redsn0w provides.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not 100% about corona but I know you can run the latest redsnow on top of your JB in order to get all the bug fixes.
    Just make sure you just JB and dont install cydia again.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

So running redsn0w right over the top of my pwnage jb will just apply those fixes without updating my bb? And I won't have to restore from backup afterwards, reinstall all of my jb apps, etc? If so, that's easy enough but I just want to make sure that my bb is preserved and that I don't have to go through all of the same work I did when updated via pwnage.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm having some issues with this. I downloaded the latest version of redsn0w and ran it. I chose jb, unchecked the install Cydia option and now my phone is basically stuck at a black screen with a bunch of "Please wait..." lines on it along with some other stuff including "Error, no successful firmware download after 60000 ms!! Giving up...".

I'm not sure what to do at this point but it certainly doesn't look like it's going to finish the process. Please help!!!

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Looks like I spoke too soon. I guess I didn't give it enough time but everything finally went through. I did get "No Service" after the reboot but I'm pretty sure that's because of the buggy and completely unstable ultrasn0w.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha - sorry about that. I was nervous too! I finally got everything back up and running, but ultrasn0w is so problematic that I'm thinking about removing it completely and just dealing with the signal strength issue.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can't blame you.
    That's what I did too.