Tethering MBP to iPhone on AT&T's Mobile Share plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omni-impotent, Mar 30, 2013.

1. omni-impotent macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm getting a new iPhone 5 in a few weeks and I'm trying to understand the pricing of AT&T's Mobile Share plan. The prices for the plan are here: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

I only need 1GB per month, i.e., $40/month, and since I will have an iPhone this is an additional $45/month. Sometimes (when there's no good wifi) I will tether my MBP to the iPhone, so I asked about this. I asked the Bestbuy rep, who then called an AT&T rep, and they told me that: "tethering is free and included in the Mobile Share plan". A similar statement can be found online as well.

HOWEVER, it is not clear to me what this means. Does it mean that if I want to tether my laptop I have to pay the additional $20 since the laptop falls under the "Laptops, LaptopConnect, Mobile Hotspot Devices & Netbooks" category? If this is the case, then the statement is misleading since it is not FREE; you have to pay $20/month extra!!

Or is the act of tethering really free FREE. Would I only need to pay the extra $20/month if my laptop has 4G or 3G built-in and need an extra simcard.

Help, it's all confusing! The reps don't know crap and will say anything to make the sell. >_<

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's included. The "Laptops, LaptopConnect, Mobile Hotspot Devices & Netbooks" category is for a dongle/cellular card for laptops or SIMs for cellular-enabled tablets.

3. omni-impotent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Why would anyone PAY for adding a tablet or laptop? I mean, I have an iPad and MBP, and if I tether (or set up mobile hotspot) then it's free. If I add the devices to the Mobile Share plan, then, in addition to the cost for the dongle & more expensive 3G iPad, I have to pay an extra $30 a month. That's a lot! The only disadvantage I can think of is draining the iPhone's battery more quickly.