Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 [No jailbreak, unlock, etc.] in the US AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shadow%20Mac, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I am trying to enable tethering on my 32GB iPhone 3GS. I remember that at one point in time, you could go to help.benm.at and download a config profile.

Recently. however, help.benm.at has been updated. When I try to download the file, i get an error message (attached below). How can I enable tethering without jailbreaking, unlocking, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is has not been possible since 3.1 to enable tethering without jailbreaking. The iPhone now checks for signatures on .mobileconfig files, and will not recognize unsigned ones unless you patch a system file. It has nothing to do with changes in Ben.M.

3. chs5056 macrumors newbie

actually

Actually, after the 3.1 firmware was released (and broke the help.benm.at tethering hack), the people at help.benm.at started working on a solution for 3.1

They said, in december 2009, that they think they had a way to get it to work on firmware 3.1 and then they said that they were testing in and to "stay tuned"

Now that the help.benm.at site has been remade, I do not know if it currently has just been remade with the old hack or with the new hack that they were testing but we'll see.

As of 12:20 (eastern time) they put up a little note that says that they are having trouble but the AT&T file but that it should be up and running soon.

Also, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing (because the english on the site is not too good because it is a site from Austria) but if you go to help.benm.at and click tethering, there is a little not that says "Remember you need at least Firmware 3.0! At 3.1.3 only without simlock!" So I don't know if they're trying to say that if you have 3.1.3 it will only work WITH the simlock hack or if they mean that you have to have your sim unlocked.

4. chs5056 macrumors newbie

actually

actually, now that I think of it... the "At 3.1.3 only without simlock!" might mean that you cant have ("without") your sim locked ("simlocked")...so you have to have your sim unlocked for it to work with 3.1.3 but I don't really know.

And what does that mean about 3.1.2?

They said that they had a solution for 3.1.2 and the 3.1.3 update has an updated baseband so that could mean that it will work with 3.1.2 but not with 3.1.3?

We'll just have to wait until they have fixed the AT&T file to see...

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Unless they have figured out a way to sign a .mobileconfig file, there will be no way to install any hacked profile they produce.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1. I think it's wishful thinking. It sucks still being on 3.0.1, but oh well, I don't want to lose tethering. It is snappier than 3.1.2 though.

7. Shadow%20Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

The checking of the profile's signature should stop tethering. However, you should still be able to install the profile, even though it would not bring tethering. I can't do either. Here's something strange:

I try installing a profile for another carrier in another country, and, though it doesn't bring tethering, I can atleast install the profile.

When I use the profile generator inputing the same settings as the AT&T profile, but input the carrier names as "test" I can install the profile, but no tethering. When I enter the carrier name as AT&T, I can't even install the profile.

It seems that apple is actively blocking profiles with the name "AT&T", so even is someone found a good profile, they would be unable to install it.

Anyone else see this?

8. Shadow%20Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

As a correction, iPhone OS only checked the signatures of mobileconfig files that contain a modification of the APN. They can't check signatures of all profiles, because companies use config profiles to set up hundreds of stock devices for their employees. Unfortunately, tethering requires an APN change....