Tethering works now with Unlocked iPhones 3G and 3GS in FW 3.1.3!!

Zobbah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Finally Apple listened to their customers. No hack needed!

You can put your carrier APN address (same as in Cellular data APN) in settings/ general / Network / Cellular Data Network / Cellular Data it's below mms settings.

it works like a charm!!

I have restored my blind faith in Apple again :)

aibo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California

You can put your carrier APN address (same as in Cellular data APN) in settings/ general / Network / Cellular Data Network / Cellular Data it's below mms settings.

it works like a charm!!

It's working great on my officially unlocked 3GS with t-mobile — but my friend says it's still a no-go with AT&T. The tethering setting never shows up, even after adding a mobileconfig.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
If true, this is great.

Can anyone else confirm, or deny on AT&T???

I have unofficial tethering on 3.1.2 by way of mobile config/ CommCenter patch. It would be great if it were native on 3.1.3.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Can anyone else confirm/deny with AT&T

Can anybody else confirm or deny this firsthand with AT&T? I have held off updating due to the fact that I would like to keep the ability to jailbreak. Tethering is the main reason I would jailbreak, but if I could do it without jailbreaking, I may update.

i hope i don't get flamed here.... but...

i know what tethering is but how is it supposed to tether? iphone hooked to computer and the computer can get 3g via hardwired iPhone to computer OR using iPhone as a "hotspot" via bluetooth?

I looked into my settings (ATT) and i don't see the OPs option in my Network settings......

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm not sure what the OP is talking about, but under Settings->General->Network there is no "Cellular Data Network" setting. That is only there if you apply one of the various hacks.

I am running 3.1.3 on a stock un-jailbroken and locked 3GS.

Perhaps this refers to factory-unlocked phones?

Zobbah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I'm not sure what the OP is talking about, but under Settings->General->Network there is no "Cellular Data Network" setting. That is only there if you apply one of the various hacks.

I was referring to factory unlocked iPhones. I know this works
with most unofficial carriers.

Maybe AT&T and Apple found some way restrict this on the AT&T network.

I'm using this with my carrier in Iceland

In my phone "cellular data network" is where I switch on/off the 3G or
turn on/off the data roaming.

Maybe your carrier profile is restricting access to these options.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

it works like a charm!!

lol... you for real?

I've had tethering since June 2009 (in Canada). It has nothing to do with Apple, go yell at AT&T.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I've got tethering working with T-Mobile UK on my unlocked, non-jailbroken iPhone 3G.

I don't know whether something in 3.1.3 enabled it or whether it was a setting that I had previously missed.

Anyway, woohoo :)

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
lol... you for real?

I've had tethering since June 2009 (in Canada). It has nothing to do with Apple, go yell at AT&T.
Factory unlocked iPhones had tethering disabled since 3.0.1. Meaning that if I bought a factory unlocked iPhone say from italy and tried to use it with O2 Germany (Where the iPhone is a tmobile exclusive) the tethering option won't be there, even though O2 does allow tethering. This was a bug, and didn't make sense at all because the whole purpose of an unlocked iPhone is that I can use it with whomever I like.

But now with the update, tethering is enabled back again.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah sounds like locked iPhones are still out of luck.

3.1.3 enables tethering for everyone else.
I am pretty sure it's AT&T's fault. I tried using a T-Mobile carrier file, and reset the phone, and applied a backup that had my T-Mobile carrier file, and the tethering options were there on AT&t, then i got the AT&T updated carrier file and it lost the tether options.

Dave6195

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Im using a factory unlocked iPhone from Italy. When I use a custom carrier bundle I created here http://www.volkspost.info/ipcc_fw3/ I lose the option for tethering. Its annoying because this carrier bundle enables other features in the phone that are useful so now I still have no tethering... :(

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Same here. I thought "woo!" until I saw that. Pretty much figured that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
op updated to a hacked ipsw which let him keep his tethering settings
There are no hacks required; this is a change in the official 3.1.3 firmware. Factory-unlocked phones now "unlock" tethering if you're using an unofficial carrier, which is how it always should have been.

This makes no difference for AT&T users, as the AT&T bundle overrides tethering.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Factory unlocked iPhones had tethering disabled since 3.0.1. Meaning that if I bought a factory unlocked iPhone say from italy and tried to use it with O2 Germany (Where the iPhone is a tmobile exclusive) the tethering option won't be there, even though O2 does allow tethering. This was a bug, and didn't make sense at all because the whole purpose of an unlocked iPhone is that I can use it with whomever I like.

But now with the update, tethering is enabled back again.
I have a factory unlocked iPhone and I've had tethering since 3.0.

andygabriel

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
i have an official unlock iphone 3G from Australia and now using it in Taiwan. I updated to 3.1.3 and the native tethering came up.

Note that i'm with a non official carrier in Taiwan. So all i had to do is type in the APN and voila, it works.

I'm stoked to have tethering working now without any hack. I've never jailbroken my iphone.

Now i love my iphone more because i can tether my macbook anywhere, train, bus etc.

The tethering speed is super fast, i can watch Youtube video, video chat on skype(tried it yesterday on a 45 mins train ride).

It's awesome since i have unlimited data with my Taiwanese carrier. 3G in Taiwan is very fast!

Thx Apple:)

Shenaniganz08

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Moderators or OP can you please change the original title to avoid confusion

this is for factory unlocked iPhones (non USA)

for everyone here in the USA with AT&T, tethering stopped working with 3.0