Texans -- Do you support your governor's comments flirting with secession?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 28, 2009.

?

Do you support Texas seceding from the US?

1. Texan - support secession

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Texan - do not support secession

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Non-Texan - support secession

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Non Texan - do not support secession

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

On April 15th, in front of a crowd that included people chanting "secession", Texas governor Rick Perry made comments that made it clear that he considered secession from the United States to be an option on the table.
    On the heels of those comments, a R2K poll was commissioned asking Texans if they supported A) Secession, and B) Perry's comments.
    We've got several Texans here... what do y'all think about Perry's comments, and about secession from the Obama-led US (obviously there was no talk of secession under Bush)?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

Not knowing the US laws and politics that well, would it be possible legally? And would the rest of the US do anything to stop this.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually the interest would in in becoming a sovereign nation of their own, not in joining with Mexico.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We could encourage Mexico to invade. That would be amusing. Wouldn't be long before Texas came crawling back to us for help.

6. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I think it would be a pretty stupid move, but eh, I suppose I don't have much say seeing as how I'll be in California for at least another year. I was planning on moving to Austin or San Antonio to do a Masters or after I completed a Masters, but if they try to secede I won't be going, unless they don't have an income tax, then I'll be there. ;) Maybe I'll go to the Cayman Islands instead, I hear they're nice, a lot nicer than Texas (not that Austin or San Antonio are bad).

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Something tells me that there are more guns in Texas, and that they could defend themselves from Mexico pretty well!

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I had a very delicious pulled pork sandwich when i visited the state.
    That aside, id like to hear what the natives have to say about secession...

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't think it would be terribly easy. Of course Texas would probably have to conscript a whole bunch of citizens into their military to defend from Mexico. It would be pretty interesting, I mean, they wouldn't even have that many proper automatic weapons. I think if I were Mexico and I wanted part of America I'd probably go after San Diego first. I mean, if you're going to invade you may as well get a nice area to set up camp in first.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mmm-hmm...right. That would be interesting to see. If they secede, I say we build a wall between them and us.

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I call dibs on laying the first brick!!!

SLC

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

If Texas wants to secede (again...) I say do the same thing we did last time: invade and put down the rebellion. Only this time, we should try the instigators for treason. I can't wait to see President Norris on trial for treason.

For all the Republican hollering of "you're not patriotic enough," they don't seem all that patriotic in Texas. Nothing says, "I love America," like seceding... :rolleyes:

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have the second! :) What do you think the new country would be called? It would most definitely be a theocracy, so I'm thinking, "Godland Texas" or something equally hideous. :)

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

And Superman could beat up Godzilla.

Frankly, I'm not interested in who would win some fight between Texas and someone else. I'm interested in the politics surrounding secession. My feeling is that Perry is trying to out-crazy Kay Bailout Hutchison, who will be running against him in the Texas governors primary. However, I wouldn't have thought that secession would have appealed beyond the fringe teabagging crowd. Those poll results caught my eye, because that seems like an extremely high number for the "love it or leave it" crowd who ridiculed liberals to no end when they would say they were leaving George W. Bush's America. Yet now there is a pretty significant contingent of them that would support secession.

Now, I understand that Texas has a rather colorful history in this regard, and that many Texans envision themselves as the ultimate in self-sufficient frontiersmen, but an even split among the GOP think Texas would be better off without the rest of the US? Really? Without all the defense dollars that flow into Texas, without the massive NASA presence, etc.?

And then the majority approval of Perry's comments suggest that Hutchison will have a difficult time out-wingnutting Perry, and suggests a difficult road to the governors mansion for her if she is seen as a Washington insider; which I'm sure she is, having been there for quite some time.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It doesn't matter what people want, the reality is: Would it be economically viable? and the answer is: Probably Not.

The only US state that would have any hope of existing as a country, an idependant sovereignty on its own is California, and thats only because if it were a country on its own it would be the 6th wealthiest in the world.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perry seems to love Washington when it comes to paying for hurricanes, wildfires, increased border patrols, to name a few.

17. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

California should secede....we are better then every other state anyways :p. Oh wait, what about our huge debt?! No problem...we can print our own money now to pay our bills! :D

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A majority of their wealth would be lost upon seceding, not to mention an audit of assets to market value would knock them down a few pegs even before they seceded.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Encourage? They already are and we're dissuading them. ;)

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

We have eleven and a half million households paying on average around $15,000 in federal taxes, of which California gets back 80 cents on the dollar in federal benefits. Using quick-and-dirty math, we pay around a $34.5 billion annual membership fee to the United States. If California seceded, we wouldn't have a budget deficit.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just curious but what does the constitution say about a state seceding.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And if Texas were it's own country, it's current economy would put it at number 10 in the world. Texas's economy is roughly equal that of Canada. Canada seems to be doing OK!

SLC

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Texas is also a huge oil port. I think it is in the countries best interest that they stay around.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if i remember right it in the texas state consitution

only state that has it

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Federal Government can't block it or levy fines?

There has to be more then just "ok we are leaving nice knowing you".