Texas 5-year-old shoots himself in the face with a shotgun during unsupervised huntin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 7, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, no Mr. Fred, the boy didn't know what to do.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/...tm_campaign=Feed:+TheRawStory+(The+Raw+Story)

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Plenty of things don't add up
    11 yo drove his brother ?
    5 Yo somehow manAged to shoot himself in the chin?

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They probably live way out in the deep country. I've seen plenty of kids driving around their dad's trucks on their farms, out in the woods, and down little back roads out in the middle of nowhere. Some of them even do a surprisingly good job of it.

4. DaKKs macrumors 6502

I'm not surprised. I mean, its Texas. Plenty of crazy **** has come from there.

I was 10 when I learned to drive. As long as its on private and fenced land, its not illegal. Besides, anyone halfway intelligent can drive an automatic outside of traffic.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was driving tractors by the time I was about 9, farm pickup trucks at 10 or 11. I got my farm license to drive on the road at 14. I was driving a quarter of a million dollar combine before 14.

Now I grew up in a different time but I also went hunting by myself, in the woods behind our house, at around 10 or 11. My brother, two years younger was often with me. So, I can see it happening. Would I let my 11 year old daughter or her 5 year old sister go hunting by themselves? No.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

And preventable!

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

FWIW, Texas used to allow 14 year olds to drive if their (almost always) farm parents filled out a form saying it was an (economic) necessity for the kid to drive. Maybe they still have the law, but, back in the day, there were a lot of farms and farm kids in central Texas, and, a lot of 14-15 year olds driving around out in the country. City kids normally did not qualify. Don't know how this works now. I always wondered about the accident rate, since, some of those kids could barely see over the steering wheel.

On the topic at hand, it used to be not unusual in the country to let a 12-year old go hunting/shooting, but, I never heard of a five year old before. Bizarre.