Texas Appeals Court Rules Against CPS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, May 22, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Today a Texas appeals court ruled against CPS in the FLDS class action case.

The court's holding that there was not sufficient evidence that the children were in a position to suffer immediate harm seems pretty obvious, as does the concern that any threats that the children might have faced would not merit removal from their families.

What I find more strange is that the argument for removing the boys from the compound had been that they were being raised to "accept" the status quo. That really doesn't seem like it would be any different from a parent teaching their child any other practice that offends many others.

Now we wait to see how quickly the state can get the kids back. I'm betting it isn't nearly as fast as it was to take them away.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not offensive, illegal. Any parent teaching their kids to partake in an illegal activity would face similar action from the State.

The entire situation was not handled as best as possible, but the State did act based upon legitimate concerns.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The measure of power these agencies have is staggering and scary. The precedent it could have set is similarly frightening.

No, they acted on hearsay from an uncredible source. Most of this disaster could probably have been averted had they bothered to get their ducks in a row.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

CPS acted recklessly based on very shaky evidence. From what I have gathered, all they really wanted was an excuse.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Better and better

Aside from the 12 children out of 440 or so, it would appear that Texas CPS isn't giving them back at all, despite the appellate court ruling.

It's a damn shame that at best, all of these families are going to get in the end is a government "excuse me".

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think is is funny how quickly the media changes. It went from finding people who supported the stated to lets look for a bunch of people agaist the state.

So we never really will know the truth. The media has spun it so much and twisted it you can no longer trust them.

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

They have yet to find the "girl" who was suppose to have made the original complaint.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If you mean the 33 year old woman from Colorado who has a history of fabricating things like this, then yes, they've found her.

link
    another link

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The way this thing is going, someone can file a complaint against their stepfather and all the kids in the apartment complex should be taken (maybe even the entire block.)

Wouldn't even matter if the stepfather still lived in the other state from which this girl moved.

Wouldn't even matter if the girl never existed.

---

Got to love TX CPS right now. :rolleyes:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

funny Texas is taking the heat for this but I am willing to bet most state laws are exactly the same way and most state would of reacted the same way as Texas.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yes, funny that the focus is on the one state where the events are actually taking place, and not the 49 other states where, theoretically, the events might also be able to take place, in a "hypothetical" situation were similar events to take place. Damn those 49 other states and their tomfoolery! Always trying to make Texas look bad!

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

For some reason I have really mixed feelings about this case. On the one hand I am appalled at the thought of a 13-16 year old being forcinly "wed" to someone much older than her, but on the other hand I was eqaully appalled by the actions of the state.

I think the state twisted alot of the facts of this case also...pretty screwy situation. I think my feelings towards this lean more towards the FLDS than the state.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, really funny that Arizona didn't raid the Colorado City, Arizona compound and take all the children away. Considering this is where the accused molester actually was.

Hmmm... imagine that, they didn't do what Texas did.

He was simply questioned and released.

I agree, the only state making Texas look bad is Texas.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would add to that like I stated early the media has very strongly twisted facts in the case. The news went very quickly from backing the case to the 2nd this court case was released they turned against it. Then the facts seem to complete change as well.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

glocke12, how does one check for the physical evidence? Sounds like my state violated these young girls, not the FLDS.

16. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think Texas could have learned from the AZ example. When AZ did raid the compound, it blew up politically, for many of the same reasons that this is blowing up now. Arizona went in and essentially ripped children away from their parents, driving outrage from against molestors to against the state splitting families.

Had Texas worked with Arizona authorities, especially those who were around all those years ago (if there is anybody), I think things may have gone better. Also beneficial would have been targeting the alleged criminals instead of targetting the alleged victims. That way, when the word alleged is taken away, you pulled criminals out of their houses instead of victims.

That prior backlash has left Arizona skittish ever since - and I bet that Texas will be the same.

17. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

In a bit of dealing that my mind can't wrap itself around, the state of Texas is negotiating terms of returnfor the children of the YFZ Ranch.

If I understand correctly, and maybe in my 12 hours workdays I've missed something this week, the state Supreme Court said that the CPS did not have sufficient reason to take the children from the ranch. And yet, now the state is trying to dictate terms of the return.

"Sorry sir, we just figured you would have crack on you because you are a poor black man in a drug infested neighborhood. We had no evidence that you had crack on you. We have to release you, but we are going to make you follow these terms, or we'll keep you in jail anyway."

WTF?

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

^ A big "wtf" indeed. And we're going to have to pay for this once Texas gets sued.