Texas Board of Ed Makes Curriculum 'more conservative'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Mar 13, 2010.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Ugh.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just finished reading the Times and HuffPo articles and was coming here to post it.

****ing sickening. That is all.

Examples from HuffPo

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

If the conservatives had their way the US would slowly turn into an Iran type state.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I am so thankful that I don't raise my children in Texas.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Disgusting.

I say let those ****ing rednecks secede. Then they can have their own little country called Jesusland and not be associated with the rest of us.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

All this will do is hurt the kids chances of getting into college...

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Maybe not certain ones in Texas.

It seems like the state is trying to set up its own self contained echochamber.

8. pooky macrumors 6502

The problem is, this impacts everyone. Tex-ass is so huge, some textbook manufacturers will just change their books to meet their standard, and drag the rest of the country's schools along with them. This will make it harder for everyone to find books that don't preach the stupid.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Maybe they should just secede. Hopefully they won't bring back any forms of slavery, but otherwise . . .

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Each state creates its own textbooks. This is to push the specific history of its own state and herritage. So the Texans will be going solo here... For now...

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It could affect the entire nation:

link

Beware of propaganda on both sides of the issue:

link

newshounds

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I just moved to bloody Texas.
    Boy I am glad I have been educated in other states, and other countries prior to this rubbish.

-Omi

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How can this be legal? I mean, omitting Thomas Jefferson? What the hell? Can we please get rid of Texas once and for all?

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I found a more balanced article here and as a parent I look forward to the new conservative textbook approach Lone Star Board members advance, assuming the educational guidelines pass the final board vote in May. Oh and it's a good move to re-emphasize John Calvin in any regard, based on his historical contribution to theology. Nonetheless, I took great interest in the board's continuing mission:

"The board's success in exposing students to more conservative government and cultural principles follows similar efforts in recent years to put a more conservative imprint on other public school subjects, including a back-to-basics English language arts and reading curriculum two years ago and adding caveats to the teaching of evolution when adopting new biology curriculum standards last year."

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not as if kids in most schools are given textbooks and simply told to read them. A big part of education is how the material in a textbook is presented to the class. You can have the most liberal textbook in the world but a conservative teacher will still be able to put a conservative slant on the subject. Likewise with a conservative textbook, I don't think a more progressive teacher in the east will be singing the praises of the religious right just because its *mentioned* in a textbook. I don't think one needs to get overly alarmed at this.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Unsurprising. Attempting to brainwash the next generation is the only way the bigots can propagate even a part of their twisted philosophies past the next couple of decades, and they know it.

This is driven by fear. The world is leaving them behind, so the dumbasses are having to use their own children as cannon fodder in their war against the truth.

As always the children will suffer, and this will do nothing but delay the inevitable demise of their agenda. However, if that's the way they want it, let their state slide into poverty within 50 years. By that point Wal-Mart will be the only job their kids can aspire to.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think it's absolutely alarming. My god! To leave out parts of history because it doesn't fit their world view? That is insane and frightening.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You sound pretty afraid to me as well. Also, does any side represent the "truth"?

I think a continuation of an "us vs. them" "liberal vs. conservative" polarization is a bigger threat which may drive everyone's kids into poverty eventually.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you want to live in a theocracy, move to Iran.

****ing disgusting.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Exactly. Similar to other fundamentalists such as Bin Laden. Fear of a changing world. They don't believe in evolution literally or figuratively. They are fighting the nature of life itself.

21. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I just love that a professionally trained dentist has the audacity to question the legitimacy of professionally trained historians who apparently "skew too far to the left."

I wonder if as a professionally trained historian with a terminal degree, I can get on the Texas Board of Dentistry and say that dental procedures are no longer painful enough.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The truth doesn't take sides. That's why this emphasis on only presenting one side is so alarming. I can' believe you think this is no big deal.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Hardly. This won't affect me in the slightest. The only harm it will do is to children in Texas, whose certificates and qualifications will be looked down upon by employers across the Union thanks to stupid nonsense like this.

History has always been edited, but on this occasion there is nothing to gain from the edit other than to support a political agenda which is slowly but surely being abandoned across the rest of the western world. In the meantime everyone else will increasingly point and laugh. Is that something you'd wish on your child?

This is true. However, as has been stated many times the USA has no mainstream left-wing. The polarization there is centre-right vs. far-right, and political extremism never ends well.