Texas Board of Ed Makes Curriculum 'more conservative'

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?src=me&ref=homepage

After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday approved a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Fathers’ commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.”
Ugh.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just finished reading the Times and HuffPo articles and was coming here to post it.

****ing sickening. That is all.

Examples from HuffPo

The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum's world history standards on Enlightenment thinking, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”
The Board refused to require that “students learn that the Constitution prevents the U.S. government from promoting one religion over all others.”
"They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about 'the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.'" The Dallas Morning News noted that "high school students will learn about leading conservative groups from the 1980s and 1990s – but not about liberal or minority rights groups."
"Board member Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands, objected to a standard for a high school sociology course that addressed the difference between sex and gender. It was eliminated in a 9-to-6 vote. She worried that a discussion of that issue would lead students into the world of 'transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else.'"
"Board members also rejected requiring history teachers and textbooks to provide coverage on the late U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy and new Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, while the late President Ronald Reagan was elevated to more prominent coverage."

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Disgusting.

I say let those ****ing rednecks secede. Then they can have their own little country called Jesusland and not be associated with the rest of us.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
All this will do is hurt the kids chances of getting into college...
Maybe not certain ones in Texas.

It seems like the state is trying to set up its own self contained echochamber.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
I am so thankful that I don't raise my children in Texas.
The problem is, this impacts everyone. Tex-ass is so huge, some textbook manufacturers will just change their books to meet their standard, and drag the rest of the country's schools along with them. This will make it harder for everyone to find books that don't preach the stupid.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe they should just secede. Hopefully they won't bring back any forms of slavery, but otherwise . . .

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
The problem is, this impacts everyone. Tex-ass is so huge, some textbook manufacturers will just change their books to meet their standard, and drag the rest of the country's schools along with them. This will make it harder for everyone to find books that don't preach the stupid.
Each state creates its own textbooks. This is to push the specific history of its own state and herritage. So the Texans will be going solo here... For now...

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I am so thankful that I don't raise my children in Texas.
It could affect the entire nation:

What the state incorporates into its standards can have nationwide significance because publishers often look to Texas, as well as California—the two biggest adoption states—when writing textbooks.
link

Beware of propaganda on both sides of the issue:

This is part of an ongoing attempt to twist American education to fit radical right-wing views on everything from science and economics to history and religion. Because Texas is one of the largest markets for textbooks, and one of only 20 states in which books are adopted statewide, a cadre of activists that gained election to that board has tried to alter the tone and fundamental accuracy of schoolbooks nationwide by amending the curriculum suggested by a panel of teachers better to fit a particular political and religious viewpoint.
link

Fox & Friends Steve Doocy started off by describing the Texas Education Agency as an “outfit” who “aren’t having a party over some stuff that we said yesterday on Fox & Friends. They’re a little agitated and I just want to clarify some stuff.” He said that the complaint was about Fox & Friends’ claim that standards for new textbooks are being developed when, according to TEA, the new standards being discussed are for curriculum changes which eventually “will become part of the framework that texts are based on.” He added that “we were trying to make it simpler.” He then made the dubious claim, regarding the commentary about American history being taught from 1877, that it was a “suggestion” which was “made first of all in North Carolina and we thought we were pretty clear that these were just suggestions, and there have been a lot of suggestions, regarding the founding fathers, and some different dates that may or may not be included in the text.” The “clarification” was further clarified with the tortured comment that “We thought we were clear that they were simply suggestions, so we want to make sure you understand, they were just suggestions, and that is our clarification." (Get it, got it, good!) He concluded by saying that he would let his audience know if the TEA issues another press release. So I guess it's all good!
newshounds

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I found a more balanced article here and as a parent I look forward to the new conservative textbook approach Lone Star Board members advance, assuming the educational guidelines pass the final board vote in May. Oh and it's a good move to re-emphasize John Calvin in any regard, based on his historical contribution to theology. Nonetheless, I took great interest in the board's continuing mission:

"The board's success in exposing students to more conservative government and cultural principles follows similar efforts in recent years to put a more conservative imprint on other public school subjects, including a back-to-basics English language arts and reading curriculum two years ago and adding caveats to the teaching of evolution when adopting new biology curriculum standards last year."

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's not as if kids in most schools are given textbooks and simply told to read them. A big part of education is how the material in a textbook is presented to the class. You can have the most liberal textbook in the world but a conservative teacher will still be able to put a conservative slant on the subject. Likewise with a conservative textbook, I don't think a more progressive teacher in the east will be singing the praises of the religious right just because its *mentioned* in a textbook. I don't think one needs to get overly alarmed at this.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Unsurprising. Attempting to brainwash the next generation is the only way the bigots can propagate even a part of their twisted philosophies past the next couple of decades, and they know it.

This is driven by fear. The world is leaving them behind, so the dumbasses are having to use their own children as cannon fodder in their war against the truth.

As always the children will suffer, and this will do nothing but delay the inevitable demise of their agenda. However, if that's the way they want it, let their state slide into poverty within 50 years. By that point Wal-Mart will be the only job their kids can aspire to.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
It's not as if kids in most schools are given textbooks and simply told to read them. A big part of education is how the material in a textbook is presented to the class. You can have the most liberal textbook in the world but a conservative teacher will still be able to put a conservative slant on the subject. Likewise with a conservative textbook, I don't think a more progressive teacher in the east will be singing the praises of the religious right just because its *mentioned* in a textbook. I don't think one needs to get overly alarmed at this.
I think it's absolutely alarming. My god! To leave out parts of history because it doesn't fit their world view? That is insane and frightening.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Unsurprising. Attempting to brainwash the next generation is the only way the bigots can propagate even a part of their twisted philosophies past the next couple of decades, and they know it.

This is driven by fear. The world is leaving them behind, so the dumbasses are having to use their own children as cannon fodder in their war against the truth.
You sound pretty afraid to me as well. Also, does any side represent the "truth"?

As always the children will suffer, and this will do nothing but delay the inevitable demise of their agenda. However, if that's the way they want it, let their state slide into poverty within 50 years. By that point Wal-Mart will be the only job their kids can aspire to.
I think a continuation of an "us vs. them" "liberal vs. conservative" polarization is a bigger threat which may drive everyone's kids into poverty eventually.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I found a more balanced article here and as a parent I look forward to the new conservative textbook approach Lone Star Board members advance, assuming the educational guidelines pass the final board vote in May. Oh and it's a good move to re-emphasize John Calvin in any regard, based on his historical contribution to theology. Nonetheless, I took great interest in the board's continuing mission:

"The board's success in exposing students to more conservative government and cultural principles follows similar efforts in recent years to put a more conservative imprint on other public school subjects, including a back-to-basics English language arts and reading curriculum two years ago and adding caveats to the teaching of evolution when adopting new biology curriculum standards last year."
If you want to live in a theocracy, move to Iran.

****ing disgusting.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
This is driven by fear. The world is leaving them behind, . . .
Exactly. Similar to other fundamentalists such as Bin Laden. Fear of a changing world. They don't believe in evolution literally or figuratively. They are fighting the nature of life itself.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I just love that a professionally trained dentist has the audacity to question the legitimacy of professionally trained historians who apparently "skew too far to the left."

I wonder if as a professionally trained historian with a terminal degree, I can get on the Texas Board of Dentistry and say that dental procedures are no longer painful enough.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
You sound pretty afraid to me as well.
Hardly. This won't affect me in the slightest. The only harm it will do is to children in Texas, whose certificates and qualifications will be looked down upon by employers across the Union thanks to stupid nonsense like this.

History has always been edited, but on this occasion there is nothing to gain from the edit other than to support a political agenda which is slowly but surely being abandoned across the rest of the western world. In the meantime everyone else will increasingly point and laugh. Is that something you'd wish on your child?

I think a continuation of an "us vs. them" "liberal vs. conservative" polarization is a bigger threat which may drive everyone's kids into poverty eventually.
This is true. However, as has been stated many times the USA has no mainstream left-wing. The polarization there is centre-right vs. far-right, and political extremism never ends well.