Texas Board of Education at it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 23, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Read the rest: http://abcnews.go.com/US/textbooks-...exas-state-education/story?id=11697738&page=3

These people are ****ing nuts. Really no other way to describe them.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Sometimes I do feel that Texas is another country.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm telling you, we should have let them secede is 1865! On the other hand, if they did the Confederacy would probably still have slavery, so you win some you lose some i guess. :D

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is just amusing to hear that anything in this country these days is pro-Islam. :rolleyes:

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My favorite quote.
    "Somehow they were getting too rosy a picture of Islam."

Ummmm.... have we READ the bible? I guess christianity is all about sunshine and gum drops then?

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Oh, another one.

"In May, the board approved new standards that call for greater emphasis on Biblical references and the Christian traditions of the founding fathers"

Ill respond to that quote with this one...

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." -Ben Franklin

Most of the founding fathers were Atheist. And even if they weren't, i wouldnt want my kids textbooks advocating or demonizing ANY religion. Why do they need to talk so much about religion? I can't understand that

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Sometimes I wish it were.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read threw it the article and it looks like a lot of information is missing.

It stated in there that text books do talk about several of the worlds major religions but only Christianity gets demonized. By that I am going to assume it talks about the darker things it has done.

Some examples I can remember from School I am going to assume they are talking about things like the crusades. Some of the massive killings different European countries over protestant vs Catholic.
    I do not remember any of the text books really talking about some of the darker things from other religions that much.
    Now if they were saying talk about darker parts of the other religions past I could understand that and adding it in to balance it out.

Like I said I feel a lot of information is missing from the article and I smell some stuff just trying to get readers.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

So what, a book said "not all muslims are terrorists" and that's too rosy?

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Texas actually seceded in 1861, and joined the Confederacy. The history books even say so - the same ones this thread is vilifying.

Generalize much? How so?

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

As an aside, I was just reading the article a couple of minutes ago and I noticed that in all three pages of the article, there was not one mention as to the first name of "Lowe," nor a single mention of her position or role in this. (You can see what I mean by the quoted portion of the article in the OP which contains the first page of the article and first mention of "Lowe.") While I was working myself up into a small fury over that detail and other strange omissions and repetitions of the article - poof, it was rewritten/reposted. The article is now noticeably different than what it started.

Carry on...

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did I miss something?

All this talk about Christianity being demonized... but where were the examples of what was actually written?

Either my skimming has gotten worse or there's a big hole to this story that needs filling in.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, so it wasn't just me.

I read in more than one place in the article that they're seeking "balance" in the representation of religions. I don't see a problem.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is the old:

My Belief/Religion >>> Your Belief/Religion.

It is this simple. It doesn't matter which religions are in comparison, that argument up top will prevail through ALL of them.

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I absolutely reject the notion that this school board is seeking "balance". They are deliberately targeting Islam, whitewashing Christianity and trotting out as "education" a species of propaganda that history's worst totalitarian regimes would be envious of. What they are doing is unethical, immoral, and shocking. They make a mockery of education, and it's a case of the blind leading the blind in the Texas education system.

Unfortunately textbook manufacturers, being the capitalists they are, will bow to the wishes of any theocratic school board that comes along if doing so will keep the money rolling in. It's sick, sick, sick.

Texas is looking for a new form of Jim Crow, and Muslims are the new target for second-class citizenry. It's disgusting.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Most were Deists or Christians of some sort, not that it's relevant.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Reject all you like - I read your rant, and I didn't see any of that in the article. Just plenty of conjecture from "watchdog" groups and opponents of the board with nothing to back up their sentiments.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the Crusades get more than a weeks look in in an overview of world history then to be honest they are probably over-covered. There's lots of ground to cover and not much time - its far more important to give an overview of world history (e.g. India, China etc.) than to cover the crusades specifically - I'd presume the level of coverage on that in the US is the same as in the UK, i.e. basically zero.

If you want to cover a negative European warmongering point, then covering the various European empires is far more important than the Crusades as its much more recent.

What do you think the board are suggesting?

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You are leaving out a critical piece of evidence in support of my "rant" however: the Texas board of education's pattern or behavior up to this point. This is only the latest in a series of decisions that indicate their bias. If you support their conservative, religiously-informed approach to education, then you are of course free to take that position and argue it - but I don't think you will find the position that they are seeking "balance" to be a defensible one.