Texas Gov. Takes Gay Marriage Jab

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 30, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK fair minded Texans- and I know a lot of you here claim to be, which I try not to doubt. But when this is the guy who governs you, I have to wonder just WTF is going on in your state. This is quite simply, disgusting. Vote this jerk out of office already.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/30/Texas_Gov_Takes_Jab_at_Gay_Marriage/

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But they'll eat it right up. I'm seriously scared for the country right now. The GOP is on its way to scaring its way back into a majority (it really is that effective) and they've made it clear they plan to effectively shut down the government once in, along with defunding the little healthcare reform we got.

I really have to ask what they think the endgame is here. They're effective emotional appeals will get them into power, but if they do what they plan to do, this country will literally fall into 3rd world status far faster than anticipated. In other words, they're policies to grab power will only accelerate our decline, verses the Dems slower fall from grace.

Basically, if we don't have a dramatic shift in our politics, we'll all suffer for what we've brought on ourselves. :(

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Like I said, if our Texan friends on this board are serious, they will fight to get this fool out of office. If not, you're right. How these people could forget Bush so quickly is beyond me.

4. 184550 Guest

Two words.

Rod. Blagojevich.

Do I view Illinois through the lens of Rod Blagojevich? No.

Should one view Texas through the lens of Rick Perry? No.

Should one view New York through the lens of Eliot Spitzer? No.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I see you and I actually agree on something!

Cheers. :)

6. 184550 Guest

I'm taking a mental snapshot right now.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I already put the screenshot in my scrapbook :p

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another 2 would be:

Mayor Daley.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Rod Blagojevich and Eliot Spitzer found themselves on the wrong side public opinion for their transgressions.

Show me a similar degree of condemnation from Perry's constituents and I'll say you have a point.

Otherwise, the people of Texas will have spoken volumes... with their silence.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The candidate who is running against him is great but Perry is refusing to debate against Bill White. Bill White problem is out side of Houston he does not have name reconnection.

On top of that Obama punishment on Texas has also hurt. Democrats have been set back years here. Bill White I know lost some support over the NASA issues for no other reason than he is a Democrat.
    I worry that Perry is going to win because of better name reconition and Obama pissing people off in Texas and setting back the democrat movement years if not over a decade by himself. All the work done over the Bush years has been lost and then some.
    NASA set back Houston a lot. Clear Lake area is pretty anti Obama now and anti democrat over NASA alone.
    We could go look at other things that have been done. Over all I want Perry out of office and am voting for Bill White I think he would do a lot of good for the state.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, they were forced out of office because of criminal activities. Otherwise the people of Illinois and New York have spoken volumes...with their election and re-election of them.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

First, why the hell can a politician even choose whether or not to debate opponents in election cycles?

Second, things changing does not equal "punishment". Frankly it's foolish for the state to place so many of its eggs in one basket. Did Texas really expect a NASA gravy train to always be around? Why would you hinge so much of your economy and well being one one industry? Sounds like Detroit.

13. 184550 Guest

When I read Lee's original post, I read/ see that Lee is saying that how a Governor acts is a direct reflection of his or her states' populace.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well in this regard, Lee is wrong.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please! Do NOT get RP started on that again! :eek:

UCF, I understand that having a backwards, asinine opinion isn't the same as breaking a law.

I just doubt that Texans can recognize backwards, asinine opinions.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

16. 184550 Guest

Well, thinking more about it, Lee technically is right since each state elects its own Governor. Democracy and all that jazz.

But then again, isn't that like saying G W. Bush was a direct reflection of all Americans?

17. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What makes you think we aren't? What makes you think we didn't in 2006? "these people?" Jeez, Lee, Texas is a big state and 2.7 million voters chose someone other than Perry in the 2006 election (only 1.7M voted for Perry). He only won with 39% of popular vote with the rest of the voters diluted amongst a Democrat and two popular Independent candidates. That's 2.7 million voices you have to conveniently ignore in order to cultivate your frustration with an entire State.

There are no red states and there are no blue states. Every state in the Union is some shade of purple, even Texas. We may lean red and Perry may get re-elected, but that doesn't mean you don't have friends in Texas and it doesn't mean you get to just dismiss our involvement in politics or pretend that there aren't liberals, gays, and democrats here as well as everywhere else in this country.

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Well, I recognize yours. Does that help?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I always have had a thing about Texans.

I'll try to get over it.

20. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

In a sense, yes. It reflects one large group of Americans so intellectually bereft that they would actually nominate a hideously unqualified candidate, all because he's a) the son of a former president b) because he's seems like a nice guy to have a beer with. It also reflects a vice president who spends half his presidential campaign running away from the sitting president who in spite of personal scandals still has an approval rating above 60%...turning an election which should have been a slam-dunk into a closely-contested race that has to be decided by Supreme Court fiat. It reflects that a large group of Americans elect presidents based on charisma rather than intellect and knowledge of the issues.

Like just about anything else in life, You Get What You Pay For.

21. 184550 Guest

I suppose, if you count 'one large group of Americans' as popular minority.

In 2000, Al Gore received the majority of the popular vote if I remember correctly.

22. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Well, actually, if you reread what I said (as you bolded one part but not the other):

Yes, I do remember that Gore won the popular vote. By a razor-thin margin. Which would have mattered if we elect presidents by direct vote than by electoral college. So it really doesn't address the point I made above.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm you should know Clear Lake area is not exactly large compared to Houston. But it was the money just being yank out.
    Remember Houston and even Clear lake has 3 big pillars of its economy. Oil, NASA and Health Care. 3 areas Obama administration is screwing with. As such Houston is going to take quite a hit and most of it will trace straight back to DC. The human space flight loss hurts, Oil Hurts, health care is still in limbo no one really knows.

I just pointed out that Bill White is going to lose a lot of votes because he is Democrat and no other reason. Obama has done a lot of harm here. Clear Lake like I said on NASA alone is over 10 years worth of work gone in one day. Houston was set back by it. The political BS is pissing people off here.

As for advoiding the debate. Legal to do but a huge disservice for the voters.
    Like I said Perry is not exactly well like and many people will vote for him because he is not a Democrat. They hate him but they hate democrats more right now.

24. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

They haven't. Exxon has lost more money in the reception area sofa cushions than NASA's annual budget.

Don't forget airlines -- American, Southwest, and Continental. That's another segment of the economy that's been sucking wind these days (no pun intended).