Texas Governor Greg Abbott orders Texas State Guard to monitor federal troops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Apr 29, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

OK, this is really weird. If it isn't April 1st, and, it isn't from the Onion, then, it must be very, very strange.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-governor-orders-troops-to-monitor-Jade-Helm-6229568.php

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some Texans are paranoid.

And the governor is pandering to that paranoia.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I honestly despise that state and their idiotic elected leadership. Greg Abbott makes me want to jump into Chris Christie's loving arms. Scary. The idea to move the entire Tealiban and their Teahadists to The Republic of Texastan and fence them off into their own third world hellhole is looking more and more tempting.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The key to this one is the word ELECTED. The leadership that you so "despise" we're legally put in office by the citizens of "that state". I'm grateful that the libs don't get to dictate what other states choose to do.

Also, WTF is the "Tealiban"? Must be something to do with the color teal.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You're right, the key word is elected. That keyword is very telling. It tells you how deep rooted right wing extremism is in Texas. I'm grateful that any Republican politician from Texas is too far to the right to win a national election and force their backwoods "values" on America.

And for the record, the libs do dictate what other states do. We're about to force gay marriage on Texas :D

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

tjhis is so crazy and paranoid. wonder if they will also watch for UFO's? so the state guard is that like one of those wannabe gun toting christian preparers? nope it is the government watching the government.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The issue is that some people see this as an issue. The US military can practice training on any designated base anywhere in the country. They picked Texas because, much like the places they'll eventually see action, it's rocky, dry, hot, and really, really brown.

But because this is "Obama's America", we need to remind the citizens that our armed forces aren't there to infringe on anyone's rights to religion and guns. But just to make sure the wily bastards mind their business, we'll get some of our best and brightest local boys to keep an eye on 'em.

You know, just in case they decide to drop trou and start pissing all over the constitution.

----------

Yeah. Congrats on that.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Rens. We have plenty of threads concerning police abuse, believe it or not there is plenty more f criminals among our armed forces. Plenty of females in the military get raped by other service members. I don't see the problem org another set of eyes on them while they conduct training exercises among CIVILIANS , it's sad to say but it is for your own safety :eek:
    http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...entagon-rand-sexual-assault-reports/19883155/

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/16/most-dangerous-military-towns/

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

How often has our military been known to go rouge on native soil? How often have the Green Berets and SEALS, both spec-op outfits trained to conduct military operations deep behind enemy lines, been deployed on US soil against its own citizenry?

(that we know of O_0)

...exactly. So why does this guy feel the need to assure his constituency that "Don't worry, everyone. they're just hear to train. We'll keep an eye out for you to make sure that big government boogyman doesn't getcha".

It's pointless posturing, and really damn dumb.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Happens more than you think, links are posted, plenty end up in the brig .
    The man has a constituency to represent. That is part of his job.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, but a military guy having a little too much to drink and doing something stupid while he's off duty is a far cry from our own government conducting military operations against us.

It hasn't happened. There aren't any compelling reasons to believe it will happen anytime soon. Despite what some people believe, the US isn't in a state of crisis. Tensions aren't boiling over to the point that a second civil war is nigh. So why make a big show about protecting our god given rights, and sending the local militia out to keep an eye on our own goddamn military?

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

While I think it's just grandstanding it's probably not worth it for SOCOM to fight it. As long as the general isn't privy to anything classified let him liaise.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank God for true patriots like Greg Abbott. I'm proud to live in an America that respects the Constitution and holds large multinationals like Walmart to account.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...et-military-drills-for-Walmart-cl-6214696.php

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure it is relevant to a post about Texan paranoia concerning federal government but most sexual crimes in the US military are against men.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I love the statement that this sends out to the world at large.

“Hey world we also don’t TRUST the US Military”

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

How many times have we held exercises like these in the U.S?

18. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Every state/fed official should be monitored by the public 24/7. They are the ones who should not have 4A rights.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You can be the first volunteer.

Here's your pair of binoculars.

Report back.

20. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Why go old school? The NSSA already has the technology. :p

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's just a training exercise, so...probably a bunch? I don't know if there's anything particular weird or convoluted about this one compared to any others, besides the response its getting.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ise-freaking-out-the-internet-is-no-big-deal/

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Per the article...

The biggest controversy surrounding this seems to be the people freaking out, rather than the drill itself.

Also, I wonder how the military comes up with its operation names. Is there a scheme to it, or do they pick from a list of adjectives and nouns.

Operation Incongruent Donkey launches at 0300 hours. Gear up, ladies and gents. It's go time.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this time they are operating among the public, big difference from just operating in the states on their own bases.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Well, I knew the gov. must have done this for an audience. I see that you are cheerfully enjoying his show. So, just out of curiosity, who keeps an eye on the Texas Military while the Texas Military is watching the U.S. Military?

I have a strawman proposal to discuss: if the U.S. military is unwelcome in Texas, let's close down all DoD bases and centers in Texas (you know, like, Fort Hood) and stop holding training exercises in Texas. (Remember BRAC?) Let's see how Texas politicians react to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Base_Realignment_and_Closure_Commission