Texas lawmaker files bill that would penalize men for masturbating

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Texas lawmaker files bill that would penalize men for masturbating

We've lost our minds.

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

So she proposes an absurd piece of legislation in order to poke fun at her opposition?

Sounds like she has too much time on her hands. Maybe her constituents need to find someone who takes the job more seriously.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

fight stupid with stupid, she is getting press so maybe her tactics are working :eek:

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Un. Be. ***ng. Lievable.

I thought the world had moved on from "The Sin of Onan" since the early bronze age.

5. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

In the US the "sin on onanism" ran through the early part of the last century.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Sometimes to draw people to an issue you have to do what seems to like equally outlandish things.

The reasoning behind her suit revolves around the conditions a group of men have put on women's health issues. She wanted to spin it around and do likewise. She knows it isn't going to pass, but it's gotten her & her message attention, and to some her point across.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-masturbating-is-satire-with-a-serious-point

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Maybe, but I don't know anyone who is unaware of the pro-life/pro-choice debate.

To me, this makes her look completely unprofessional and incapable of defending her position without resorting to childish antics.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

To you yes. Then again, you might not be who see is trying to reach. She's not addressing the pro life/pro choice debate, she's addressing the rights of the women affected by that debate. The battle over life is often made to supersede the choices of women, she wants to show how that battle would effect men. Men wage this battle over reproductive rights, but those same individuals never bear the cost of that battle. If her bill magically passed, they suddenly would. Of course it isn't going to pass, but does bring the matter to discussion if it could.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Trump is proof positivist.

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    OOOOOOOOH!!
    I feel a MP binge coming!
    (brakes out the Laser Disk player)

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

This goes to the more fundamental question of why government has any right to dictate biology. Period. She's not unprofessional, she's making an effective analogy. We have no more right to dictate men's personal conduct than women's.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

But if that's what she's doing here, how is any different than the men who she feels are dominating the debate? She feels like they're completely dismissive of the reproductive rights side of the argument, so her response is to be equally dismissive to those who believe human life begins at conception or shortly after? That doesn't further her cause IMO.

It's not a good analogy at all for someone who believes abortions literally kill children. It's no more a question of personal conduct than if we were arguing about whether men have the right to kill their born children because they don't want to pay child support.

But, if that wasn't her intended audience then she picked a poor platform to "express herself".

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Actually that kind of is the point of her analogy. If one side can be completely dismissive of another side in an issue that impacts them, should it not be fairly applied to them as well? You can't call one side wrong for wanting the other side to equally bear the costs of an issue they raise.

If you want to believe human life begin at conception, good on you. You do things in YOUR life that reflect that belief. It becomes onerous when you apply that belief on other lives, regardless of their own beliefs.

You want to decide abortions are illegal, knock yourself out and work on that. Inserting a transvaginal probe in a woman to discourage her from having an abortion, because you can't make abortion illegal, is not the way to go. Especially if you're some older age guy deciding that you don't like women deciding what they do with THEIR bodies. That's not about the abortion debate anymore, that's about control.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You may have a point.. After all, a man's body is nothing but a vessel for fertilizer. ;)

BL.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

For the record, I'm not arguing in favor of legislation or people who want legislation. Personally, I don't think it works because people will just find alternative (possible more dangerous) ways to do what they want to do.

I'm saying that someone who is pro-life is not necessarily being dismissive of the pro-choice side. Maybe her colleagues in the Texas House are, but I know lots of people who are pro-life and completely sympathetic to the issues a mother is dealing with when she has an unwanted pregnancy.

For example, I think that the issue of fathers having no "skin in the game" so to speak is a huge problem. I'm not sure how to solve that, but if that can be solved, you likely have fewer mother resulting to abortion. That's a conversation worth having, but it never will be had if the debate starts off with stuff like this.

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Fetuses or Zygotes, if left untreated, may grow to be people.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    Someone who doesn't understand the difference between what fertilizer is, and what a seed is.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

adjust thy sarcasm meter, mon ami.

BL

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're mixing in a religious belief. The law of the land recognizes the legality of abortion; the law of your and others' religious beliefs states that you should put every obstacle imaginable in a woman's way because you feel you have a superior right to dictate other's behavior.

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I'm not calling out the issue of pro life or choice. Everyone's beliefs are sacred to them, and we can't say otherwise.

What I am saying is that dismissing her attempts at shining a light on an issue related to that debate as childish antics, is why she's doing it. If you're a guy who is very pro life & frustrated that abortion is not the law of the land, there' a good chance you won't see the side of woman who may want the freedom to choose an abortion. Those 'guys' don't want to have a conversation or debate, their belief makes them right. So a woman illustrating what those antics done to do an end around abortion not being illegal, is what she sees as necessary to spark a similar debate.

But if you want your belief respected, you have to respect others as well. Demonstrating that if a man wants a vasectomy for birth control reasons he should go thru the same unnecessary ( pardon the pun :rolleyes: ) hoops a woman does. Seems fair, otherwise it illustrates that the laws those men make are not for safety as they claim. That's a way to start a debate.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

No, I'm giving you an example as to why the type of thing this rep is doing goes absolutely nowhere. Please see my post above.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't think some people realize this bill is satire.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I don't know. Maybe. I see what you're saying, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say I believe her intent was to start a conversation. I just don't get how she imagined anyone would change their minds about the issue by doing this.

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Well, somebody sure has...

Ba-dum-CHEEE! :D

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace