Texas Oilman’s Son Pays to Kill Rare Black Rhino And Brags About It On CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, May 21, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The rich. Worthy of tax breaks because they use that money to create jobs.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please tell me they chopped up that quote.

Otherwise, it's one non sequitur after another.

Who cares if he killed a black rhino. (Well, I do, actually)

I'm more concerned about the logical slaughter that just occurred.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A non-breeding alpha male is of negative utility to the herd.

This is good conservation and wildlife management.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually, nature suppose to manage itself. Unless it interferes with our livelihood, like over population of bears near residential areas, then I don't see what business we have playing SIMS with wildlife.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Does this apply to humans also?

We may have found a solution to all of the violence in the US...

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Nature could manage itself, except for those pesky homo sapiens. Anyway, I think protecting endangered species is a worthy cause.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm very sorry. But I'm going to have to part company with most of my Liberal friends here.

For the record, I'm not a hunter. I abhor cruelty to animals in any form. And I believe very strongly in doing everything we, as human beings, can do to preserve the natural ecosystems that host our planet's wild species.

But, all things considered, this shooting of a black rhino was both responsible, and - ultimately - in the best interests of the species.

The hunt was sponsored by the Namibian Government, which has a strong interest in preserving the species, and protecting it from poachers. To that end, the annual legal hunt of black rhinos is restricted to five such animals - and specifically:

You don't have to cheer Corey Knowlton. I certainly don't. But his $350,000 fee will go a long way to paying for the salaries of the rangers and investigators who will protect and preserve the remaining rhinos.

If you want to express your outrage at this event, put your energies into more productive avenues. Like asking your Congressman to demand energy companies pay market rates on energy leases on Federal lands. And raise the top tax rates on billionaires so they pay the same marginal rates as their secretaries.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

In all seriousness, your opinion may not be as outrageous among liberals as you think.

This seems pretty straight forward....

There are a lot of better examples out there of bad and irresponsible hunting. I don't think this is one of them.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We're going to drive you to the brink of extinction.

Then we're going to kill even more of you ... but it's for your own good.

Oh thank you, benevolent hunter.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Great post VR

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Is what he did illegal? No? Did he pay for it fair and square? Yes?

Does my opinion on whether I'd do this act matter? Not at all.

If you wouldn't shoot a rhino, then don't do it. That's as far as the story should go. Fact is, what he did was legal and paid for in accordance with the procedure. If anyone is mad at him, then it's actually "your" problem and not his. Classism can be a terrible vice to have in life.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

Source?

----------

I was just wondering how much I'd have to pay to stalk take potshots at an oil tycoons son.

----------

Is stuff that is legal always right?

No.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I dare say that $350,000 would have paid for the said black rhino to be captured and put into a park in its retirement. I also believe that there would have been nothing wrong with just giving a village $350,000 for the privilege of seeing black rhino's up close in the wild. Heck, the money could have been donated to them to ease any poverty they suffer from. $350,000 also would have paid for a artificial insemination for black rhino cows. etc. etc. etc. The conservation argument is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Finally, how does anybody know whether this particular black rhino was breeding? Males typically have a longer breeding lifespan than females in mammals. Chances are that if a rhino can fend off young bulls, it is still reproductively viable.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

99.9% of all species who ever existed are extinct.
    Millions of animals are tortured and killed daily in killing-factories.

The OP is worried about one rihno shot by some "evil rich" dude.:rolleyes:

Smells like one of these jealousy-threads again, where the usual suspects bitch and moan about other people who supposedly have more and spend it in ways they don't like to see.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't have a problem with him weeding off a non breeding rhino as long as it was verified, but his response makes me cringe.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I must say I do have mixed feelings about this topic, more so from Europeans than from any other group.

Europe over the centuries killed off all the dangerous animals that made life difficult. Built a sustainable farming culture, and in time dominated the world.

Then proceed to lecture the third world about animal rights/conservatory.

This particular case is not of any consequences the animal was a non breeding, it was done by the book.

The gloating, well I think we can put that down to youth.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Retirement? From what? Goring things? Its a rhino. A wild animal. Wild animals don't have retirement plans or pensions. Being "put out to stud" is a peculiarity we extend to a tiny fraction of racehorses.

Yes: You could have spent $350,000 to humanely anesthetize the beast, pack it into a crate, and ship it to Dorset or Florida or Baden-Wurttemberg for tourists to gawp at for a couple of years. Until it died. Benefit to the species: less than zero. But dopey Twitter users can give themselves a huge pat on the back for yet another meaningless gesture in their empty lives.

Or you could take the $350,000 and pay the salaries and expenses of a dozen or so professional Namibian game wardens, who will be out there every day, keeping watch for poachers who happily will kill any rhino they come across, regardless of breeding status.

Thats $350,000 that goes into the Namibian community, so people there can invest in wells that provide clean water. Education for their children. Thats $350,000 for one rhino - (or almost $2 million per year) that tells the community how valuable the rhino herd is. That encourages the local community to cooperate with wildlife rangers when poachers show up. Poachers pay the community nothing.

19. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

Texas Oilman’s Son Pays to Kill Rare Black Rhino And Brags About It On CNN

If it's legal how is it wrong?

It's FREE to take pot shots at whomever you want. Just remember there is a penalty for this.
    ----------

I agree. If I wouldn't do it, and I can't afford it, it's WRONG

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Should adultery be illegal then? Or are you ok with that?

21. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Do you require a source for the fact that apples fall down and not up?

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When I was young, I used to hunt. With my acquired wisdom :p, I now find it distasteful, although there are cases where over population requires culling for the sake of the heard. Black rhinos don't fit that category. I just don't see the pleasure of killing animals, especially those on the verge of extinction to feed one's ego and acquire another trophy as if that represents something good or macho about you. It's possible that instead of killing this animal, it's genes, for the sake of DNA diversity, might have been valuable for some test tube baby rhinos, but this is pure speculation on my part.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I believe DNA diversity is part of the reason for allowing this one to be hunted, as it has already bred a lot and keeps younger makes from breeding and passing on a wider variety of genes. If the population was bigger this wouldn't be a problem, but with the small size it is important for as many different rinos as possible to breed and pass on their genes.