Texas Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well if you only have absence only sex ed and cut access to birth control you expect less present teens and abortions?
    Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ood-teen-abortion_us_59653229e4b09b587d63018a

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Anyone who is pro-life but opposes substantial social services and legal protections for mothers and their newborn babies is a hypocrite.

Plain and simple: Either allow reasonable access to contraception and family planning, or help care for the babies. If you do neither, bad things happen.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

IIRC even PP's abortion rates are rising and that the point of the matter is the Fed shouldn't be funding that portion of their business.

Birth control is pretty simple. Keep your legs closed/Johnson in your pants or simply use a condom and practice safe sex. Time for Americans everywhere to take responsibility for their own actions and raising of their kids.

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the government does not fund abortions its as been investigated over and over. tends don't make wise decisions thats the way it is. when they are not educated they make worse decisions.
    Time states take responsibility for their actions for their poor education practices.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

That's a half truth. Even if PP does not receive federal funding directly for abortions, the the money they receive helps them run all aspects of their business, etc. thus it does lead to funding the costs associated with abortions.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Maybe Texan parents are telling their teens that sex before marriage leads to the birth of a Democrat and that falls under justifiable abortion.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

ya ya ya keep going on about it. you can bark at the squirrel in that tree and it is pointless and way overblown. what leads to abortions is tax money spent on poor sex education and not spent on services that prevent abortions.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

no, it's no overblown. end such funding for such programs and simply fund what other things they do instead.

ironically sex education, while important in schools, is but a conversation away. parents need to raise their kids and spend but a few minutes a day talking with them and actually engaging in their lives. the cost of that conversation(s) $0.

It's silly that our Fed. Gov't and the rest of us even need to put forth money towards such a topic when it really starts at home. Those services if owned by the person who brought their kids into this world are the best way to prevent pregnancies, diseases, and abortions.

Excuse me though as I step aside for those that don't wish to hold people accountable. My bad....they had kids but damn the rest of us for actually thinking they might spend time actually raising them. We as individuals in society need to do a better job of our own roles in life among our fellow man. Take responsibility and teach it to your damn kids! oh...but that would be too much work and when others are so willing to just toss everyone else s money at it....then why would they.

9. LordVic macrumors 601

Want to know the best method to avoid teenage pregnancy? Education. proper, robust and science based sex Education

But in absence of that, planned parenthood is needed since it's clear that many can not only fail to provide their children with proper education, there needs to be options for unexpectant parents

Planned parenthood does more than abortions. They educate and help women find doctors and resources to help with carrying a child.

I know a few friends who got pregnant unexpectedly, even as adults who needed their services. Heck in one case planned parenthood helped change her mind away from abortion and got her connnected to the right people and doctors to have the child safely. And now they're a very happy family.

Anyone who screams defund it and believes it's nothing but an abortion clinic, while only practicing abstinence as the "cure" is so far out of touch with any form of reality, it's amazing they can put on pants in the morning

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

most people know they do more than abortions. that said, reimburse and fund them for only what those other items are then. in terms of education, put the abortion money towards educating their customers and families. put requirements around such counseling. there's should be no free lunch without some effort on the part of those benefiting from the public funding.

11. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Here in the US religion is the main reason parents don't talk to their children about it. It is nothing new either. As they say it takes a village to raise a child and it's true. Texas has proven how religion. Fails to deal with it.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

er, most of the religious preach abstinence and that DOES work when PRACTICED.
    defunding PPH is penny wise and dollar stupid . teens are going to have sex.

13. LordVic macrumors 601

The fact you're calling them "Customers", means you really REALLLLLLLLLLLY don't have a bloody clue what you're talking about

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he is right, you just don't like the fact he is :D

15. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

right it works great wonderful Texas is proof.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I wonder how much money we spend via the VA, Medicare, Medicaid, etc... on people with lung cancer because they smoke, or people with heart issues because they overeat, or people with liver issues because they drink too much, or any number of other preventable issues that Americans seem to have?

Bet it's a whole lot more than anything given to PP, yet I don't see anyone complaining about any of that. God knows with all the fat old men in Texas, they certainly wouldn't complain about it here.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we should let them ALL suffer the consequences of THEIR actions.......................:eek:

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed - let's give every US citizen the education and access to birth control, abortion, and IVF services so that each individual is truly free to choose and be responsible for their actions.

19. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

no they can't have education that costs anyone money or effort. they are 100% responsible unless they are rich.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree. In fact when it comes to insurance and costs I think fat people, smokers and alcoholics, etc should pay more and I shouldn't be burdened in any way with their poor choices.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    no they are 100% resonsible because it's their bodily function to engage in sex and it's not rocket science to wear a condom or in general understand what it takes to NOT get PREGNANT. No one needs much in the way of education to have that conversation with their kids either. stop making such excuses for people, it's insulting to just about anyone with 1/2 a brain.

21. steve knight, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes actually it takes a fair amount of knowledge to understand it and to do it. kids don't want to hear it from their parents and parents often are bad about teaching it and they don't always l know all the details. stop trying to go with the personal responsibility excuse and face the reality of the situation. your solution does not work is not working and has not worked. we have history to show us this. seldom do parents do a good job of doing the sex talk thats why schools started doing it. when parents fail there needs to be a backup if there is not you have abortions and unwanted pregnancies. so good job calling people stupid it is a real solution there.
    tell you what you go to the conservative states and tell the parents they need to teach their kids how to have safe sex. good luck with that.

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

You know Steve, this may very well be the first time that I've ever agreed with your view on religion.

Christians really need to do a better job at this. We need to teach our kids about God's design for sex and how that differs from the way the world views it. We need to hit it head on and we need to be honest. And we need to teach our kids to value their purity.

That's what I try to do. It's hard and uncomfortable but it's necessary.

23. pdqgp, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

you have officially accepted setting the bar for many on the ground. congratulations for supporting flat-out dumb behavior and irresponsibility on the part of those people.

Never. When we give up on holding people accountable for their actions and exuse irresponsible behavior, especially for people have made the choice to raise children yet choose not to raise them to be productive, responsible and contributing citizens, that's when the problems just like this take over and ruin our society. To suggest otherwise is in itself irresponsible. Even our gov't agrees by supporting and funding the Personal Responsibility Education Program. Sex Education IS a Personal Responsibility.

My solution involves people everywhere to care and actually participate. If they choose not to that then their failure needs to be addressed by ensuring they do their part or bear the costs whether that be financially or morally. I'm not going to lose much sleep over a family having to work through their child having an abortion if they themselves have put little to no skin in the game to ensure the basics of the birds and the bees are taught.

It's been nearly 215+ years since it surfaced in the public education system. I think it's far past-time that we begin to become better parents. It's about setting and holding people to higher expectations and personal responsibility. Until we as a society do that, the problems will continue much as you've shown have been going on for those same 200+ years. Pretty simple concept.

I support the right to choose but that isn't being questioned here. There's just simply no need for us to fund the abortions conducted by PP. In terms of your last point, stupid is as stupid does. Can't save people from their own stupidity.

I hold everyone accountable to the same standards and expect everyone to clear the same bar Steve. A bar that isn't set on the ground. No where on this matter or in this thread have I noted otherwise. Nice try though.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017 ---
    Everyone in the US does have access to birth control and the above services. If you're advocating that they don't need to bear the costs of the above or need to be the one responsible for managing their own health then I can't help you as I'll never support such a thing. Until then, they are truly free to choose to be responsible or not.

24. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

The problem is they figure if they talk about it it will encourage children to do it.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017 ---
    The problem is with your personal responsibility you preach like a street preacher screaming at gays on a street corer is it is only others that have to be personally responsible.
    Yes people need to be more responsible but when they are not either they can die or others can help. You choose let them die it is their fault I don’t care. I have seen you do this often. but when it comes to people you agree with then when they are not personally responsible it is someone else’s fault.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I agree, kind of. It works when practiced but that doesn't mean that preaching abstinence works since most teens are still gonna do it. Preach abstinence all you want, but then add....if you are going to have sex, this is a condom....etc etc