Texas' proposal to kick out all illegal immigrants (except the maids)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rodimus Prime, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

http://theweek.com/article/index/21...k-out-all-illegal-immigrants-except-the-maids

Yeah I am not going to bother quoting the rest of the article because really it all summed up in that.
    I am going to call it a worthless law and basically says the elite can higher illegals and not worry about punishment.
    I agree the idea of the law were if you knowingly hire illegals it is a 10k fine and 2 years in jail. That part of the law is great. The exception to the law is well a joke.

It was nice not to have my state in the new for something stupid and Texas could of just let Ohio and Wisconsin take the heat but NO the dumbass GOPs in Austin had to do something to make it a media joke again.

2. KingYaba, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What a waste of everyone's time. They should be focused on deficit reduction and figuring out ways to increase state revenue. I hear gambling is becoming more and more popular in this state.

3. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I agree, what's the point of the law if it's not going to enforce the major offenders. Almost every (not all mind you) illegal is doing some kind of house or 'yard work' (could mean any thing). :/

Hugh

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Aw, come on, give the poor gal a break. Rep. Riddle has to tow the Tea Party line but she doesn't want Texans to have to give up their cheap hired help. Who'd clean her pool for next to nothing?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So what'll happen is that people will stop paying their illegal immigrant housekeepers. The immigrants won't go complain to anybody that they're not being paid because then they'll be deported. She's basically trying to legalize slavery.

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Great idea, though it should apply to all employers. I think everyone who hires illegals should be accountable to the law, but even if it were applied only to for-profit businesses, I would be happy with that. It would be even better if they started jailing and deporting the illegal immigrants themselves, since it is illegal for them to be here and to work here.

7. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Honestly that does make sense though with the employment situation the way it is. My family came from Italy / Ireland decades ago and had to go through correct due process to gain citizenship. I respect the Mexicans that do it that way, and they should have equal rights to jobs.

Border crossers do not deserve the first chance for jobs.

If you want to come to America, please follow the correct channels and stop stealing jobs from us. Work hard, save your pesos, and use your savings to move here. If you cannot do this, then blame your own government and join a civil rights movement in your country.

There is a right way to do this and simply running away from your country's problems isn't it. Our country has enough problems of its own at the moment.

I grew up in San Diego and moved to Utah in 1998. I was 18, so I can say I grew up really close to the trouble. I go back once every few years and it makes me sad how Escondido has changed. The border cities, and even Escondido which is northern San Diego County, have changed so much for the worse. Streets which used to be safe are polluted with street peddling drug pushers. Most are hispanic and black. I am not racist but talking with friends and family that still live there they tell me the problem could be solved with a more solid border.

With all the money that is spent on prohibition of Marijuana, why not legalize it and throw a wrench in the black market. Use the proceeds from this new income to help enforce our border. It saddens me because there is so much our "democracy" could be doing, but isn't.

California is still really beautiful but I fear it will be even worse in the next 10 years. The illegal immigrant problem is spilling into Utah even at a rapid rate. Cedar City, where I live is right on I-15. So are most large Utah cities. It makes it easy to traffic drugs and people along this highway and more and more end up here each day.

Since moving here to Cedar I have noticed more and more illegals being busted on the booking page every day.

My advice is for all Mexicans thinking about coming, just stay and fight for a better future there. Mexico is realllllly beautiful. We fought for our independance and rights, you should too. Power hungry politicians and drug lords can be overthrown. Look elsewhere in the world for examples. You have the drive and the numbers. Fight for it!

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You do have a point. It has always bothered me that we feed Mexico's racism by hiring illegals. They are extremely prejudiced against people of Native American descent, and it makes me ill. I have worked with and known many illegal immigrants since living in Chicago. They are the sweetest, hard-working people, but they are taken advantage of by us. So not only do they get screwed by their own country, but willingly get screwed when they come here because it's better than what they could do in Mexico. That's horrible.

I am so conflicted on this issue. On one hand, we are the country that claims to provide refuge for people like them. On the other, we still have laws that need to be respected-we can't take everyone. It seems to me that we need to start holding the Mexican government responsible as well, and start pressuring them for reforms. Every person I've talked to from Mexico who is here illegally really wants to be back in Mexico, but they have to make a living too, for god's sake. I don't think a "guest worker" program is the best thing either- it fixes nothing, as it would simply encourage a mass exodus from Mexico and further feed their racism. Mexico really does need to start taking care of it's own problems. I just don't know how we make that happen. I don't really think we can, either.

You're probably right- it needs to come from Mexicans themselves. In order to facilitate that on our end, we would seriously have to take major steps to close the borders. It just breaks my heart to think of what would happen to so many people. But perhaps it would be for the best in the long run. Ugh- I just don't know.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Mexico is taking care of its own problem by outsourcing it to us.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I realize that, but it's hard to know exactly just what to do about it. We can be as tough as we want about it, but people will still get here illegally. There has to be a better way to deal with it. For example, do we start holding Mexico responsible for people who enter the country illegally? And what would that accomplish? What would Mexico's reaction be? They could react by simply executing anyone who enters the US illegally and gets caught (extreme, but it could happen). That's not good either.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ths law is pure hypocrisy. Those who can afford (i.e. the rich) in house illegal servants are exempt. Large employers (e.g. agriculture) get busted. So illegal is illegal only some of the time? Oh that's right, if a law is inconvenient to your constituency, alter it.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- there's no doubt this law is stupid.

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Agreed.
    My wife and I just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise to Ensenada. Very fun and pleasant but it was sad when we went on the Wine tour to see the wineries and saw how bad it was outside of Ensenada. It was like the Brazil map in Modern Warfare 2 lol.

Mexicans are great people, and like everyone they are capable of shaping their future. It would be awesome to be able to drive across like you can into Canada into a safe country. It'll happen someday.. maybe not in our lifetimes though.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

1) If you're not here legally, you get no benefits. None. No driver's license, no hospitals, no free school, nothing. Remove the incentive to sneak over the border.

2) If you get caught here illegally, we deport you to the southernmost part of Mexico. Good luck walking back. Furthermore, you forfeit any chance of ever being able to reside here legally.

3) Any business or corporation caught employing illegal aliens loses their business license(s) permanently. Owners of said business are prohibited from ever obtaining a business license in the future. In the case of corporations, board members are prohibited from ever serving as board members in any corporation. Ever. (Obviously, common shareholders would be exempted. The person directly responsible for the hiring goes to prison and pays a hefty fine.

4) A private citizen caught employing an illegal alien serves prison time and pays a both a hefty fine that would at minimum cover the costs of deportation.

That should clear up the problem in about a month. And yes, I know it's cruel and heartless, but we can't afford to keep looking after the people Mexico doesn't want, and what we're doing currently isn't working.

Of course, the real issue is that the elites really don't want the problem handled. Republicans want cheap maids, cooks, and nannies, and Democrats want the millions of potential voters (albeit with their hands out).

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The real problem is that there are too many illegals in the US already. I've read of numbers between 10 and 15 million. If they were all kicked out within a year, the US economy would tank.

Also, it's important to note that Mexicans only make up about 60% of illegal immigrants.

As I've argued before, within the next 15-20 years, the number of Mexicans coming north should drop dramatically simply because the current birth rate in Mexico is 2.1 and falling. Brazil's booming economy is also pulling some latin Americans southward.

I read just yesterday that every year an additional 500,000 Americans of Hispanic descent will become eligible to vote. That's going to have a profound impact on who is elected to office and many of those officeholders will be hispanic and likely many will be children of illegals.

The horse is already out of the gate...

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So your residency is based on what job you can secure? Makes perfect sense, lol. Kind of like what skill to you hold, biologist, physicist, lawn maintenance etc, except instead of going through the official steps you sneak in and get the job first.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Who do they go to to complain now?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nobody. That's one of the tragedies of illegal immigration.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'd be curious what percentage of illegal immigrants in Texas are employed in the homes of Texans. What percentage are employed by businesses. I know that Walmart and several meat processing companies have been some of the largest offenders nationally. Would the CEOs get jail time? Or more likely someone in lower level management.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree, the incentive for many undocumented migrants is not free health care and schooling, but rather paid work, something that rarer in much of Latin America.

Additionally, hospital care for migrants helps Americans, limiting the spread of illnesses like tuberculosis. Most migrants fear going to the ER already, even if they're truly and dangerously sick. Such a policy would keep them away allowing communicable diseases to spread in their communities.

And if they're from Guatemala? Why not just dump them all off the shore of Tierra del Fuego.

Good luck getting the 'business community' to agree to such a measure.

Here I disagree with you. A private citizen doesn't, nor should have, the ability to check for documentation and thus couldn't be liable for knowing a person's citizenship status. Additionally, I think you'll have a chilling effect that will keep people from hiring anyone of 'Mexican' decent regardless of their status. You would create a by-proxy racism.

Mexico and Latin America want these people, they're the hard-working middle-class, but since the economies of much of the region suck, these people come here and send billions in remittances back to Latin America. There are towns in Mexico that are better for the workers in the United States and this can help Mexico better as a country, cutting off the tap now would simply drive many of these villages into the arms of the cartels.

Cynical, but true to a point.

My big worry is that people will try to deal with the 'illegal immigrant' problem, which is probably No. 32 of a list of problems in the United States, through draconian measures while ignoring Mexico's real problem: the huge appetite for drugs that exists in this country and the massive movement of money, guns, and human suffering that comes with it.

If you want to fix Mexico, removing billions of US dollars in remittances and sending millions back is just about the worst way to do it.

We don't have an illegal immigrant problem, we have poor economic policy and a massive drug problems.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm looking at California to spearhead this change. How long until they actually legalize it?

22. bradl, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Am I the only one who finds this ironic, considering that Austin is arguably the most liberal city in that entire state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_independence

They DID fight for their independence and rights. Perhaps you were sick and missed this in your history class, or outright omitted it. If so, you may want to read up on your history.

Just sayin'.

BL.

23. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Does that include independance from drug cartels?

Jus' sayin.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

At the risk of going WAY offtopic, I have to laugh at this.

Since when does a country's independence depend on independence from drug cartels?

Since you so succinctly compared theirs to ours, be reminded that the USA's independence didn't include independence from drug cartels. Mexico's didn't either.

They fought for their rights under Benito Juarez (their version of Washington and Lincoln combined), beat an undefeatable foe (Spain to our England), fought for equality for Mestizos (our Civil War).. So far, the only place where they differ is that they let bikini-clad girls on during prime time (Sabado Gigante), and don't sensor the beatings people get like they had to on Springer.

But wait.. you assume that drugs run their country, not their government. News for you, like here, they don't run it there. But I get it.. like the conservative Right, you want them to spend a couple hundred billion dollars on a useless, meaningless abomination of a "war on drugs" like we did, and call it 'independence from drug cartels'.. We already know where that goes.

BL.

25. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

How are you independant, and able to exercise your rights, change drug laws, protest, whatever, when you have cartels controlling what you say?

Sounds like oppression to me. Especially when the cartels fund, and have seats of political power in said country?
    Btw bud I don't assume, I used to live next door to Mexico. Mexico isn't free yet. Go on Facebook or forums and ask how it is living there. I have been there, have friends there, and know what I am talking about.