Texas Republican Judge Switches Party Allegiance In Incredible Video

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 22, 2013.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I think this is absolutely amazing and sums up why the GOP is collapsing as we speak and why so many people are leaving. I commend this guy for going with his heart and switching parties so publicly.

LINK

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's nice to hear some sanity from Texas for a change.

Judge Key isn't the first to leave the Republican party, and I'm quite sure he won't be the last.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's also nice to see a political ad where the person talks about himself and his principles behind what he does instead of just saying how horrible the opponent is.

Of course I'm also wondering why judges run as a specific party since shouldn't they be impartial and not answerable to a specific party?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

But yet there have been WAY more Democrats turning Republican but the liberal media won't report those. :rolleyes:

Democratic to Republican
    2013 - Lindsey Holmes, Alaska State Representative
    2013 - Jose Evans, Indianapolis City-County Councilmember[17]
    2013 - Nickey Browning, Mississippi State Senator
    2013 - Christine Watkins, Utah State Representative
    2013 - Adolfo Carrión, Jr., former Director of the Office of Urban Affairs in order to run for New York City mayoral election, 2013
    2013 - Elbert Guillory, Louisiana State Senator, first Republican African-American member of Louisiana state legislature since Reconstruction.[18]
    2013 - Evan Jenkins, West Virginia State Senator
    2013 - Rick Ward, III, Louisiana State Senator
    2013 - James R. Fannin, Louisiana State Representative
    2013 - Ralph Washington, Louisiana Central City Councilman
    2013 - Andy Nunez, New Mexico State Representative

Republican to Democratic
    2013 - Jean Schodorf, Kansas State Senator
    2013 - Carlo Key, Bexar County, TX Court at Law No. 11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_switching_in_the_United_States

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That does seem weird...

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Did Fox News, Breitbart, CNSNews, or any other conservative media outlet report those?

I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but here goes. Sources please on any of these, from conservative outlets. Then we can talk about the 'liberal' media.

BL.

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Okay, so you fired back with a Democrat who switched sides. Bravo. But did you watch the video you posted? I did. The guy is living in the past. He exclusively references the Republican party of yore, not its reality today. Talk about rose colored glasses. Nevertheless, it wasn't that bad of a party back then. How times change.

Here's more on the guy: Louisiana legislator invokes witch doctor to defend creationist law. Not exactly an intellectual heavyweight.

No great loss: He'll be right at home in his new party.

----------

A judge displays good judgement. Alert the Press :)

(Or it could be a very shrewd move by someone who wants to stand a chance of being re-elected :rolleyes:. Clever guy)

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I've not only watched it, but posted it dozens of times in lots of places.
    key is no great loss either, hey but just move forward!

9. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

The (ahem) Key differentiator (gotta love that name) is that Key doesn't try to ride along on the coattails of his Party's illustrious past. He doesn't try to paint a glorious picture of historic achievements and then cynically try to attach HIMSELF to them (and all without actually revealing ANYTHING about himself)

OTOH, Key just says what HE thinks and doesn't pull punches. He sounds like an adult talking. Not many of them left in politics.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Fine I will concede the liberal media comment. I don't have time to scour the internet for those news stories. Fact still stands that more democrats have switched to republicans then the other way around.

11. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Well, if they're "not all there", so to speak - thanks for taking them off our hands!

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

You mean key is blind to the present day plight of the minority segments of our country and their continued downward spiral into poverty? Or he is power hungry and thinks he's jumping on a band wagon? And you need to RE-LISTEN to the Sen from La, who consistantly examples the present day plight that Key seems to miss. But hey, Obama is cool though, right! And Pelosi is so awsome and Reid, I mean just cause he's a 107 doesnt mean he's not a hipster dude!!

PS I love how key has to read from a prompter, classic...

13. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

If you say so.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Texas is very red, except San Antonio has a good left leaning group, so Key has a chance, but maybe hard.

15. Huntn, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Anyone changing on the Federal Level will be reported Nationally. You are claiming these events happened and it was not reported on the local level by the nasty old media? Sure, if you say so, lol.

Hopefully Judge Key will be around for the next election cycle...

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All politics is local and local politicians switch sides. It's not national news when one switches. Talk to me when Senators or Congressman or other high level pols do it.

17. Arran, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Just researching the first on the list of D to R defectors, Lindsay Holmes, shows that she ran for election as a democrat, raised campaign funds as a democrat, was elected in November as a democrat in a strongly democratic area and then two months later switched sides!

Either that's a warp speed ideology conversion, or she was never a democrat at all? You don't think she just used the D after her name to raise funds and win votes, do you? Unsurprisingly, there's a campaign to recall her.

So maybe this long list of D to R defections is telling us an entirely different story about the character of individuals who end up in the Republican Party?

And it is a long list.

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

No need in listing those names, as the whole democratic party pretty much joined the republican party, which than ran to the far right leaving the former democrats in their place.....

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What worries me far more as a European is that a Judge has political affiliations, just the thought of the Judiciary being in Politics is truly frighting.

Here in mainland Europe no Judge is ever allowed to make any political statements. It is seen as prejudicial to the impartiality of the rule of law.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It depends on which state in the U.S. It used to be more that way in more states, but, because social conservatives thought that judges were too "liberal" (meaning they started taking into account the 14th and 15th amendments and civil rights legislation), there was a push to make these offices more openly partisan. It is all part of the same big picture.