Texas School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Aug 21, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I agree with you, but as long as they are not receiving Government funding, I think there is little we can do but bitch about it.

And Olivia. What a sweet name that is. :eek:

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I put this in the same category as building a mosque "at" ground zero. It might not be the popular thing, or the most politically correct thing, to do, but they are well within their rights to do it, and I will support not their decision, but their right to deny her admission.

/run on sentence.

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Although, isnt this basically discrimination? I mean, I can almost see there being a valid argument that the school is a family values oriented school, and having a daughter with out of wedlock parents (as if thats really the reason btw), does not fit with the image and message they send to their students.

Would this be any different than a school rejecting a student because the parents or student were black???

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I wonder if there are any Gay couples children enrolled at this school?

(Gay in this case having been usurped by the Male of the species.)

6. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Not really. If the parents or student was black, the school's decision would be a lot less popular (other than in the South)...

Still, if this is the kind of crap they pull, how good of a school can it be? If they are rejecting students because they have two mommies even though they have a 3.8 grade average, it doesn't speak well of their academic standing.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wonder who'll get to go down in history as the next George Wallace.

Attached Files:

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Glenn Beck perhaps? :p

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess on how you think of "discrimination."

Seems to me that it would be discrimination if they denied the kid admission for no other reason than her parents are gay. It sounds like the school actually cited a reason (beliefs and home life not supporting the messages taught by the school), which to me makes it less of an issue of discrimination.

I very freely admit that that's a fine line, and many people might see no difference at all, but like I said, it depends on what "discrimination" means to you.

Someone might argue that it would be discriminating to expel a child with serious behavioral issues, some might see it as expulsion for cause - in the end there are some semantics to it.

I guess if a part of the school's message or belief system is that black people don't mesh with their philosophy - but can you imagine a religious school openly saying that? I can't.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No. Glenn Beck is the next Bozo.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Will he be moving to Mali, then? He had better hope the want him.

12. macfan881 macrumors 68020

13. supercaliber macrumors regular

They rejected the child because the principles they teach about marriage and sexuality are in conflict with the behavior the child experiences at home.

It is not discrimination it is common sense.

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

yes it is there is no proven fact to there teachings its just wrong and stupid but this coming from texas school's so im not expecting much from them:rolleyes:

15. supercaliber macrumors regular

Both sides of the gay rights argument are seriously lacking in "proven facts"

16. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Wonder what those principles might be? Divorce? Domestic violence? Adultery? Good ol' American values like that?

The kid has two loving parents at home... the horror!!

17. supercaliber macrumors regular

Yeah maybe so, cracks me up how so many people hang their personal views on the fact the religious people themselves have failures. What exactly does that line of reasoning even lead to?

I guess if we base our beliefs on perfect people then maybe we won't believe in anything at all. Hmmm, maybe that is what is going on here....

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah. So it's not a case of the kid not being "good enough" for the school...it's the school not being good enough for the kid.

19. supercaliber macrumors regular

The views of the parents and the views of the school are incompatible.

20. djellison macrumors 68020

What 'proven facts' do you want, exactly?

Discrimination is wrong. Period.

You are right in one respect. There are two sides to this 'argument'

The wrong side, and the right side.

Which side are you on?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The views of the school and the proper-thinking people of the world are incompatible

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

While I disagree with anything related to religion, I see no problem with their decision. A private institution can be as homophobic as it pleases.

24. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Do you even realize what you just said? Doesn't Christianity just so happen to be a belief system based on a perfect person? Perhaps it wouldn't be nearly as hypocritical if Christians didn't cherry pick which so called 'failures' they accept and which they discriminate against.

Look at it this way, a child could have parents who are alcohlic adulterers with five divorces on record and a bad habit of putting cigarettes out on their kid's backs, and if they kept it all at home and out of the public their child would still be accepted because those 'failures' aren't necessarily discriminated against.

25. supercaliber macrumors regular

Wonderful point. I had originally wrote my post that everyone would be Christian, but then realized I would start hearing bickering about the apparent imperfections of Christ. But I don't mind going with your argument at all.

As for Christians cherry picking the failures they want to discriminate against? Really? I know so many Catholics that have been kicked out of their religion. So many ministers that have lost their position because of failures.

As far as I know the ten commandments haven't not changed a whole lot in the past couple thousand years.

For an atheist, this is complete logic fail.

There may only be two sides to an argument, but to miss the very important possibility that both sides are wrong would be close minded indeed.