Texas schools punish students who refuse to be tracked with microchips

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-school-id-hernandez-033/

Not sure how this is even legal.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Truant Officers go high-tech.

What's the problem?

It's like On-Star being able to track your vehicle. A useful tool, nothing more.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"If you aren't going to do anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about."

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You got one UP, but with you one never knows.

Is that Yin or Yang? ;)

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry but schools have been requiring ids for a while. I had to wear one when I was in hs. The rfid tag in it just says if the student is on campus, and chances are when the enter or exit the building.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do not support this. Children are forced to attend school and have little choice about it. These microchips are an invasion of privacy, and no student should be forced to wear them.

I think it might be okay if a student has had previous truancy issues, and this could be something that the truancy court issues. Making every student wear them is way too extreme, and sets a dangerous prescident.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This is the reason they are tracking,
    It is all to get funding. Nothing to do with safety.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What happens when those records are released (read: sold) to future employers?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And it that is different than currently. All it does is make the info easier to gathering and I can easily argue the safety factor.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, we are preparing future citizens for the panopticon.

Imagine the hilarity if/when a student figures out how to use an RFID cloner.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is we treat schools like prisons now. How can you learn in a prison environment?

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

What's wrong with taking a class roll before each class?

No, not a cheese roll. A class roll. ;)

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that if the school wants to do this then all members of the school board, and teachers should also be tracked with microchips.
    Hey why stop there why not microchip everybody you know it makes sense:D

14. barredfreak macrumors 6502

15. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Drama queens. Way too many drama queens.

16. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Well, to be fair, San Antonio is ghetto as hell these days, those wannabe thugs need to be controlled somehow.

17. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Instead of trackers, they should rather have to scan their IDs in a card reader at the entrance so the school knows who came to class that day and who didn't. Same goes for visitors, parents, friends and educators from outside; get a visitor ID so authorities know who was on campus in case anything happens.

I used to go to a school where we did have to wear our IDs at all times but we also received a code for the main door in case there wasn't anybody at the reception.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

am i the only one who didn't go to school where you had to carry ID ? at my school it was voluntary (most used it for cheating on their age to get into bars earlier :rolleyes:)

while on university i had an ID but it wasn't required to carry around ...

in school we had a yearly "class book" where the teachers had to fill in those who were absent etc. incidents and normally the topics covered on the day, when goingto another room it had to be carry along by a pupil which normally get's "elected" at the beginning of the school year ...

edit: heck even at my job i don't have an ID

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's hardly an invasion of privacy considering you only have to carry the ID when you're actually at school. Carrying and ID when you go someplace - school or otherwise - isn't a new concept, nor is it really an "invasion of privacy."

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Carrying ID i not the issue, it is the tracking chip inside the ID.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But the tracking chip only works on school grounds.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Having every student tracked around like they're a future delinquent is a new concept. If this concept needs to be implemented at all, it should only be for students who have been frequent truants in the past.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think you'll find that in many US schools all adults are required to wear ID badges - even visitors. Where members of the US side of my family teach, adults without ID badges are quickly challenged by security staff.

I presume the hallways of most schools are under surveillance by video cameras, so the use of RFID tags seems fine to me. I just wish they would use them at my work instead of making me sign in on a piece of paper.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

"Like they're a future delinquent?" That sounds overly dramatic.

The school is responsible for these kids while school is in session. Have you ever been in charge of a large number of children all at once? It's really easy to lose track of one or two, especially when they're teenagers and smart enough to know how to dodge teachers. If using the RFID chips helps the school keep tabs on the kids while under their watch, I'm fine with it.

25. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you are being tracked on an individual basis without option, they are treating you like someone in probation, in a place that their parents pay for them to attend. As someone who was a good student in high school, I would be outraged by the lack of trust. This animosity (not even to mention the clear implication that the school cares more about funding than student education) would definitely affect my performance.

I would have no problem with this if it were a disciplinary measure for frequent offenders, but the fact that they do it to all students if inexcusable.

It also gives a false sense of security to the faculty. If I wanted to truant, all I'd have to do is leave my RFID chip in a classroom.

Plus, it appears to me that not all students are wearing these chips like they are "supposed" to. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the kids not wearing them are likely the ones they want to track anyway.