Texas Speed Limit Soon to Be 85 MpH!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Apr 9, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Source
    Will The Creationist State win more Darwin Awards than any other?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Speed bumps. :D

Naturally, only the rich will be able to sustain this speed for long.

Fuel economy drops like a stone above 100 kmph (62 mph). 10% for each 10 kmph (6.2 mph).

Have fun with that, kiddies.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

An armadillo that can overturn a Hum-Vee doing 85??

I wanna see that on YouTube, for sure. LOL

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Is gas cheaper in Texas? In urban parts of my state, gas is more expensive because chemicals that reduce its environmental impact are added. I figure that Texas would not take part in such a thing, if they have a choice in the matter.

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

From a safety standpoint, there's nothing inappropriate about 85 mph on the two stretches of road they mention in the article. There simply isn't anything out there, and there certainly isn't a whole lot of traffic compared to urban areas. You can go 150 miles or more without seeing a gas station, and drive for hours without touching the brakes. It's also not the kind of place people toss back a few beers and simply take a Sunday drive.

By "chemicals," you probably mean MTBE. Certain counties in Texas require oxygenated fuels; I think it is seasonal. I can't speak to the cost, but here's a bunch of info from the EPA.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

before you go all crazy about it. It is fairly limited areas on the state you will see it. Mostly it will pop up in west Texas and can tell you right now that there is NOTHING out there and it is just long straight roads that you can fly down. It already is 80 mph out there.
    It is not going to effect anything around Houston, and Dallas. I-45 connecting the 2 cities is still going to top out at 70 mph. It never got raised to 80 so it will never make it to 85.

Now west Texas it is fine were they will do it. I have driven on some of those roads and let me tell you it makes things a lot nicer.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The speed limit here is 65 but to keep up with traffic you have to be going 75. As long as the roads are safe and fairly straight I see no need to limit the speeds.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Today, I paid $3.59, but in the past few weeks it has gotten up to almost $3.80.

I agree. They can probably make it 90 and it wouldn't have much of an effect. As far as I-45 between Houston and Dallas, I used to make that drive every week for work...and I wish they would raise it to 80. It would make that drive a lot nicer as well. Though, I don't think it will ever happen...those small towns probably make too much money on those speeding tickets. I'm talking to you City of Ferris.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I see no downside to this. :)

13. Rodimus Prime, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I used to make that drive more often. I know once coming back from TTU I drove 95mph for well over an hour straight between Houston and Dallas. Everything was great until boy genius here forgot the reset his Average speed and my mother got in my car and say that it read 77mph and she knew that there was no way I got threw Houston at above 60mph. All that did was prove I was booking for a good part of the distance but it was well worth it. Cut a good 30-40 mins off my drive.

I know one some of those roads you could easy do a 100 and it be a non issue. I was going West on I-10 threw Louisiana and I was cruising along at around 100 mph and I was one of the slower cars on the road. It was GREAT.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A few times a year I drive between LA and central Arizona (about 450 miles each way) and to be honest fuel economy is not my main concern. If I aimed for peak fuel economy my drive would be 90-120 minutes longer. No thanks. For shorter stints I don't see the need to be a speed freak when it only saves me a few minutes from point A to point B but when we are talking a difference of around an hour or more I have a lead foot.:D

Lethal

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nothing unless you turn on your Flux-Capacitor.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thank God for those spared 30-40 minutes.

Without them you'd be a full 2-3 levels back in Angry Birds. :rolleyes:

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well on a 5 hour drive it is a fair amount. Honestly it could of easily saved me over an hour given the fact that I beat rush hour by going that fast.

I would like to point out that during that time there were not exactly many cars on the road. Rabbit group I joined in with was about 6 cars long and we did not exactly pass that many cars. It was a pretty wide open run. Will say my gas millage did suffer for it as it dropped to about 24-25 mpg compared to a normal 29 but it was OH so worth it to dodge rush hour and get home a lot sooner.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm a little surprised that the toll road project would be unpopular in Texas (although I admit I don't know the details of this particular case). Toll roads are sort of libertarian in concept. Pay for what you use.

19. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i had to do the Houston-Dallas route for 10 weeks (summer intern) awhile ago. i'd go back to Dallas on some weekends to take care of some things; i'll admit, after multiple 4.5+ hr trips while exiting Houston during traffic hour, a 40 minute gain was godsend.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You get Godwinned?

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well of course it would be on. From what I can tell, in order to hit 88 you have to be in top gear, the action of putting the car into top gear ALWAYS causes the flux capacitor to turn on because you bump it with your elbow. Bit of a design flaw - the man's a brilliant scientist, he couldn't have just made it a little toggle switch.

Man, there's going to be a ton of time-travelling-Texans in the near future.

Or the distant past....

Or both....

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

God has wind??

Perhaps Hell might be a better choice?

23. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Unless you drive a car with a really aerodynamic body design, for example this model:

2011 Hyundai Elantra sedan

[​IMG]

85 mph--or just over 135 km/h--is out of the question. At those speeds, even fairly aerodynamic cars with Cd (coefficient of drag) in the 0.32-0.35 range are going to burn a lot of fuel. (The 2011 Elantra's Cd is only 0.28.)

24. wpotere Guest

Except that you are paying twice. Fuel taxes were supposed to be used for road maintenance. ;)

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

a value of 0.28 isn't that good though ... even cars from the 80ties managed to achieve such numbers the mercedes benz W124 for example or the 80ties opel omega

the top 3 aerodynamic production cars of all time
    GM EV1 (1996): 0.195
    Tatra T77A (1935 !): 0.212
    MB E220 CDI Blue Effiencency Coupé, EU spec. 0.24