Texas teachers give ‘most likely to become a terrorist’ award to 13-year-old

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 26, 2017.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-award-to-13-year-old/?utm_term=.c51ed1992a09
    what the school did to the teachers.

it was a JOKE get over it, hope they get over it and continue with the honors program.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes let's belittle fellow classmates for a laugh. I hope the kids learn from the teacher's punishment 'play stupid games; win stupid prizes'... Right JK? ;)

3. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

mock ceremony, at 13 they are seemingly unaware of what it means..........

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

There's nothing more embarrassing for kids of that age than teachers attempting to be funny. :rolleyes:

When I was in 8th grade I got a "most huggable" award :D It was voted by the students, though, not given by the teachers (that might've been creepy).

They also apparently gave out "most likely to be homeless" and "most likely to cry over every little thing". I don't think they understand how "superlatives" are supposed to work. It's supposed to be fun for kids to vote their friends for mostly positive recognition, not something where teachers make fun of students, sometimes in a way that seems malicious.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm quite sure at the age of 13 kids are well aware of the concept of mockery.

6. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

they obviously could not handle a couple of jokes............... nor the parents for that matter.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Inappropriate. Amazing that some will put this on the kid or parents.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Definitely not appropriate. Why don't they have the "most likely to be a school shooter" superlative? I would love to understand the personality of the kid to know what that even means in a joking manner. I would hope the kid isn't susceptible to "stereotype threat" (he becomes what people believe him to be).

I got "eyes to envy" in middle school and "most likely to change the world" in high school. I can't say I have changed the world yet.

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Did someone give me the wrong dictionary when I was born? Mock just means not real but obviously not real.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the right :rolleyes: does not believe in the bully or that people need to be treated with respect and not teased by teachers. just suck it up and enjoy it

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Mockery from peers is perceived very differently than mockery from authority or superiors. This is kind of messed up and definitely a bone-headed move by those teachers. I don't think they should be fired though - they should be disciplined mildly (no opportunities for overtime or extra pay for a few months or something) and the school district should provide them with some additional training.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Who won the Most Likely To Commit Suicide After Receiving The Most Likely To Commit Suicide Award Award? And has Netflix already secured the rights to the story?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Should we at least be happy the teacher didn't body slam the kid too?

14. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I thought out of all stories, you (Mr. Mexi Midget) would sympathize with the little girl...

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

thats the police's job get it straight.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... maybe

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Well - it's also your job if you're a politician seeking office.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Did you ever ride the school bus? Kids can be a lot more cruel than what these "awards" were given out for.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes. Kids can be. Kids who aren't mature enough to know what they are saying or doing. Some.

This award wasn't given out by kids though, was it. It was the teacher, no? Are suggesting that teachers should be held to the same level of maturity as the students they teach?

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I'm good with this as long as the kids can give out the following awards:

• Teacher most likely to have an inappropriate sexual relationship with a student
    • Teacher most likely to die broke and alone in a nursing home
    • Teacher most likely to get caught in a standardized test cheating scandal
    • Teacher most likely to be arrested for assault (either on or off campus).

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

only if she shot the teacher.

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... It must be Friday... when I read this I though of Eric Clapton singing "I shot the teacher, but I didn't shoot the lunch lady!"

23. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

going out on a limb to say all the students got mock awards, if she did not get the joke maybe she should have asked about it.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

The teacher was wrong to hand out any mock awards in an effort to be clever. And there are "cute" things you can mock people for without going to the extreme of most likely to be a terrorist.

The teacher could have just of said (which I still wouldn't love but would at least shrug off more) "Most Likely to Terrorize Her Next Teacher" or something which indicated the child was a challenge or would be challenging to her next teacher or class.