Texas Voter ID Law Goes to Trial

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This one should be interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2014/08/29/344276585/texas-voter-id-law-goes-to-trial

Now regarding the bold for emphasis here, from another thread in this forum, we have the following:

Someone explain to me this: How the hell is it that a VA ID, which is essentially a military ID be considered invalid identification, yet a CCW license is considered valid identification to be able to vote?!?

Can someone who is for Voter ID laws explain this???

BL.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I despise voter ID laws but I can answer you question. Who do you think a Veteran who is either (A. an elderly person who knows the GOP is wanting to kill their benefits or B. Younger veteran who is sick of the republicans who were very quick to make him/her a vet, but extremely slow in getting them the benefits they deserve) Likely Democratic Voter.

CCW license being valid is pretty simple. Gun people generally vote Republican.

These laws have nothing to do with fraud and everything to do with disenfranchising voters.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I agree with what you are saying, but I still want to know how an ID given to a veteran who gave years of service to this nation can be turned down from voting at the polls, while a CCW permit can be allowed. That doesn't make sense, and I'd like someone to justify it.

BL.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So, if they changed this law to include the VA identification with photo, you would be okay with the law?

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Not falling for the straw man you are building. The issue is that you can't accept one form of valid ID while disallowing another form of equally valid ID. And there still is no justification for it.

BL.

6. chown33, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

chown33 macrumors 604

Have you confirmed that a VA ID won't be accepted as Texas voter ID?

I agree with the narrow interpretation that "a VA ID isn't a state id". It's not. It's a Federal ID, because it's issued by a Federal agency.

Just because EvilQueen (or anyone else) says something in a thread doesn't mean it's correct. I don't have any citations one way or the other that definitively or unambiguously state whether a VIC or VHIC is valid as a Texas voter ID.

I do know that a Texas concealed handgun license (CHL) is a state-issued picture ID:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/LicenseRegistration/chlFingerprintInfo.htm
    So if anyone was wondering "Why that ID?", that seems to be the reason.

VIC = Veteran ID Card : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veteran_identification_card

VHIC = Veterans Health ID Card : http://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/vhic/index.asp

Here's the Texas voter ID info:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/electionid.htm
    ... However, if you already have any of the following forms of ID, you are not eligible for an EIC:
    • Texas driver license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • Texas personal identification card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • Texas concealed handgun license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. passport book or card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. Military identification with photo—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
    • U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo
    I added the bold, to ask the question: Does a VIC or VHIC count as a "US Military identification" for purposes of Texas voter ID?

I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking the question. It's also why I asked if you'd confirmed whether a VA ID is invalid for Texas voter ID.

EDIT

The "VA ID" was mentioned in connection with a voter denial in Ohio. Here's the Ohio voter ID law:
    http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/elections/voters/FAQ/ID.aspx
    • An unexpired Ohio driver’s license or state identification card with present or former address so long as the voter’s present residential address is printed in the official list of registered voters for that precinct;
    • A military identification;
    • A photo identification that was issued by the United States government or the State of Ohio, that contains the voter’s name and current address and that has an expiration date that has not passed;
    • An original or copy of a current utility bill with the voter’s name and present address;
    • An original or copy of a current bank statement with the voter’s name and present address;
    • An original or copy of a current government check with the voter’s name and present address;
    • An original or copy of a current paycheck with the voter’s name and present address; or
    • An original or copy of a current other government document (other than a notice of voter registration mailed by a board of elections) that shows the voter’s name and present address.
    I've added bold to show that (except for a military ID), all accepted forms require a present address.

I'll also add that my state requires an ID with present address, but a picture ID isn't required if the voter presents at least two other accepted forms of ID with present address. I can look up the exact wording if further details are needed.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Acceptable Forms of Identification for Voting in Texas
    U.S. Military Identification Cards
    There are FOUR acceptable types of military ID cards:
    1.Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card (CAC)
    2.Uniformed Services ID Cards
    3.DoD Civilian Retiree Cards
    4.Veterans Affairs ID Cards
    Source, page 12 (PDF)

Since your quoted article references Texas, I only checked that state.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Even has a picture and everything. I believe you may have just derailed the thread. No doubt that they are accepted. There is even a clear picture of the VA Identification Card. Okay, so broke veterans are not disenfranchised in Texas.

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Nope.. didn't derail the thread at all. In fact, it went to prove my point that there is no justification for allowing only certain types of valid ID at the polls while disallowing another.

While the article applies to Texas, with regards to the article mentioned in the other thread, Ohio got it wrong.

BL.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The specific identification cards that you said were not allowed are pictured. They allow both the VIC and the VHIC. They allow ID's that are issued by state or federal government agencies.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

I think the word you wanted was "resolved" or "answered", rather than "derailed".

Derailed would be if the discussion went far off-topic. Answering the question of "Is a VA ID acceptable as voter ID in Texas?" is precisely on-topic.

It refutes the premise of the OP (i.e. that they aren't accepted), but it does answer the question.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I stand corrected. You resolved the thread.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Well... Now the Op "BL" is talking about other states. :confused:

14. chown33 macrumors 604

The cited article referring to the Ohio vet says:
    AURORA, Ohio – A Portage County World War II veteran was turned away from a polling place this morning because his driver’s license had expired in January and his new Veterans Affairs ID did not include his home address.
    [Emphasis added]
    The rest of the article goes on to discuss the different requirements for voter ID (address required) and VA ID (address doesn't matter).

I'll also note that had the veteran been carrying any of the other forms for Ohio proof of address (see my earlier post), he wouldn't have been denied. So the specific point of contention is proof of present address, rather than whether a VA ID qualifies or not.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Can a non-citizen join the military? As long as they aren't an officer I believe they can.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They wouldn't be registered to vote under those circumstances. The ID would only show that they are who they claim to be. Aside from that, most other forms of state ID can be issued to non-citizens. You don't have to be a US citizen to obtain a driver's license.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

18. Huntn, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Absolutely. Anyone who says otherwise is being disingenuous or outright deceitful. If you can't win based on your platform, step two is to hinder voting from the demographics who are against you. We've witnessed GOP legislatures around the country enact these laws using fabricated reasons, reminiscent of our excuse to launch Iraq2. "If we say it, it's true."

The sad thing is they know, we know yet they will continue to do this until they turn the tide or are ejected from office.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The only reason I can think of - and this may be completely incorrect, so keep that in mind - is that a VA ID is not issued by the state, and therefore doesn't necessarily verify residency. But I do see your point and agree, a federally issued ID should be adequate to meet the identification requirement.