Texas Votes to Defund HIV Prevention to Pay for Abstinence Education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Apr 1, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is why the thought of Republicans running this country absolutely terrifies me. No logic, no reason, just pure ideology and emotion. The state of Texas just became a little redder. It's funny, you would think with some of the highest pregnancy rates and HIV rates in the country, Texas would take a hint that abstinence-only education is a failure. But why let facts stand in the way of stupid?

https://www.texasobserver.org/house-defunds-hiv-prevetion-abstinence-education/

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ugh.

3. Robisan macrumors 6502

The world would be a better place if the entire state of Texas abstained from procreating, forever.

4. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I certainly don't agree with this decision. But it is obvious what we are doing so far isn't working. I do fear that it will only get worse after this decision. I would rather find out what the states with the lowest rates are doing and just do that.

----------

Why is that? Is it because we are not as opened minded and accepting of people with varying beliefs and opinions? If that is the case, it sounds like you would fit right in...

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

By what metric exactly?

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

7. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I agree with you...

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Don't judge people by the sexuality, but it's totally cool to treat people as subhuman based on where they live and work.

9. iBlazed, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well, let me share my experience. I come from New Jersey, we are one of the top 10 lowest teen pregnancy rates in the nation. When I was in high school, which was pretty recently, we had very comprehensive sex education. All forms of birth control and as well as various sexual acts and how to perform them safely were discussed. Of course we had our giggles, being a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds, but by the end of high school only 1 or 2 girls out of our class of 500 had a baby. It was extremely educational and detailed. They even brought in dildos to demonstrate how to properly put on a condom without putting it on the wrong way first. After all was said and done, abstinence was briefly mentioned at the very end in the form of, "of course, the only sure fire way to prevent all STD's and pregnancies is to abstain from sex". But there wasn't any emphasis put on that because we all know it's unrealistic, and the teen pregnancy rates and HIV rates in red states like Texas proves it. Our school administrators handled sex education as seriously and thoroughly as every other subject in health class with no squeamishness to be found. It paid off.

Unfortunately, can't say the same for our HIV rate, which probably has more to do with a heroin epidemic than sex.

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I can get behind that all day. It is a common sense approach. I went to a Baptist school growing up and as you can imagine, it wasn't discussed in depth. The extent of the discussion was that sex outside of marriage is a sin. That's it...

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's pretty harsh. That not only prevents you from learning about sex in school, I can see it also discouraging teens from asking their parents about it. Problem is, regardless of whether they're well educated on sex or not, they will do it anyway. The least you can do is arm them with knowledge.

12. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Agree... I was lucky to have great parents. They didn't bury their heads in the sand.

I think parental education is probably overlooked too much. As a parent of two, I see this as my wife and I's responsibility to educate our kids as well. (In addition to school)

13. chown33 macrumors 604

Abstinence enforcement will. They need to start funding the Penis Police. Or as many folks call it, the PP.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

That is funny right there! :D

We need good comprehensive programs that teach both education and abstinence. The goal is to inform and educate regarding sexuality. Young people will make their own decision just like they've always done. As far as faith based education regarding sexuality that is squarely the responsibility of the parents and not the school.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Everyone should practice abstinence, except Football players, cops, and the rich............. Texas Logic. :p

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Correction, I would greatly prefer for the Cowboys line to practice consistent protection. Romo has taken enough hits and we need him healthy all season long. :D

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

All penises will be fitted with a small electrical devices which deliver an electrical shock at first sign of an erection!

18. chown33 macrumors 604

This law will be reversed as soon as some people start to enjoy it.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Abstinence ... because it's worked so well for the 7 billion people on the planet... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I guess the naive kids contemplating IV drug use are not worth the effort.

20. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Sigh, Texas administration... oh how you just don't get it.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

22. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

[​IMG]

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

I guess he means by comparison with the rest of western civilization.

The US has a higher rate of STDs, teen and even child pregnancies by a large factor.

It also has more abortions (700% more!!) and more people in prison by some absurd factor of several thousand %. People are imprisoned for decades!! and discriminated as "registered sex offenders" for life, for madeup thought crimes that are not even remotely illegal in Europe ... just to quickly mention a few examples.

For an outsider with life experience, large parts of US society have massive issues with sex!

----------

I watched that show, and Sheldon Cooper avoids coitus like the plague.
    He is also a crazy person, but that's a different story :D :p