text message "confusion"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macsilo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macsilo macrumors newbie

Texting with a friend of mine recently, occasionally, one of his texts was not delivered to my display. This only happened very rarely but it's very annoying. These messages were not delayed so they showed up later, they were just completely lost. They show on his display (as sent) not on mine as received.

Then two weeks ago something even weirder happened: in the middle of receiving a string of texts from me, he also got another text "See U Saturday. Shd be Kool" in the middle of my texts. It was clearly marked as coming from my phone. I did not send that message to him or anyone else for that matter. So where did it come from? Any guesses? Is this a common issue?

This is creepy... I use the iPhone for work and it's not a big deal when this happens with a friend, but what if it had been a client? I have the 5.0

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Links to Apple documentation of the issue especially so.

2. macsilo thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition...

It's the Verizon version. Not sure if that matters, but that's it.

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Happens sometimes-this text showing up later thing with iMessage,but I haven't experienced random text though.

4. macsilo thread starter macrumors newbie

To be clear, it wasn't that the texts showed up later - they never showed up at all. They were just lost. It was just one or two pieces of a long conversation, but still...

Makes me really wonder about the reliability of the technology.

5. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

If you were using iMessage,I will hold it culprit,it has happened to me twice since it was introduced-extremely rare yes,but has happened.

6. macsilo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I think iMessage was involved (but I find it hard to tell exactly the difference between iMessage and ordinary SMS). The more vexing issue is the very random message that was inserted into the conversation - from someone else.

I can only imagine either (1) some kind of deliberate hack into my buddy's phone or the message system or (2) verizon misrouted someone elses text message randomly. Just curious if anyone else out there has either had this happen to them or heard about it happening.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

iMessages will have blue bubbles and regular SMS will have green bubbles.

8. macsilo thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually think mine were green, so that would make them regular SMS. If that helps.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Was your phone ever stolen, sold or replaced? If it was, the old phone could still be registered to your iMessage/iCloud account and still able to send/receive on your account.

Edit: If the messages for sure were in green bubbles, that would indicate standard carrier SMS, and not an iMessage fault.