Text on 'new' iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, May 30, 2012.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

If the rumors are true, (taller iPhone this fall, 4" screen, 1136 x 640 resolution) how will this affect the way text is displayed in Safari? One of my biggest issues with the current 3.5" screen is that I find text to be too small too often. I realize that in landscape mode the iPhone will benefit greatly from that extra half inch. But what about in portrait mode? Will text appear larger? Or will we simply be getting a bit more screen real estate?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

In landscape, you'll get more width from the web page, which might result in larger text. In portrait, you'll just get more height, which results in more web page being displayed.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

So will the text be any larger in portrait? Or will I simply get more webpage vertically to see?

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

More web page to see. If the screen width remains the same(640 pixels) it should appear exactly the same as on the iPhone 4/4S.

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Woah that totally sucks. Text is smaller than I'd like for me in portrait mode most of the time.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Pinch to zoom is a wonderful thing.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree, yet with so little room to work, it's hardly worth it. I'm not about to give up on iPhone, but I will not buy the next model if these rumors are true.

With no increase in width, landscape mode remains stale and far too limiting.

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Not needing to pinch to zoom to read text easily is a more wonderful thing.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I think you'd better get an iPad then. Any phone screen will produce small text by default.

10. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Exactly. Unless they release a square iPhone, the portrait orientation will never display larger text than landscape.

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I wish I could get something closer to what I've seen on the One X. No need for a tablet man. Apples and oranges.

12. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Usually if I want to get bigger text I'd go for landscape mode. But it then sucks a bit because then you always have to scroll down after reading just a few lines. The retina display helps for portrait mode but yeah, stuck with the double-tap/pinch to zoom still. I try using "Reader" function in Safari or apps like readability if I want to get into reading an article on the phone.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Speculating on speculations is fun...Oh, and pointless.

Until anything is announced, nobody knows anything. There's no reason to get worried.

14. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Try an alternate browser that lets you increase the font size. While iCab has more features, I found Atomic Web works best for this. Hit the gear while on a page and choose to increase or decrease font size.

15. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Just tried AW. Awful IMO. Bookmarks icon in the upper left. Much easier when it's on the bottom like Safair. Increasing the font size made it look worse. Browser covers entire top bar (bars, wifi signal, clock, percentage and status bar). Thanks for the suggestion.

I really love Safari. I'm either gonna get the S3 or the new iPhone this fall.

16. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

You can turn the status bar back on.

Settings -> User Interface -> Status bar -> On

For some reason, I just tried hitting "increase font" and it indeed got smaller, but hitting it again and again made it bigger as expected.

Of course, you'll still have to scroll more, and you can't move the bookmarks button. Sorry it didn't work out!

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There's a significant difference when one has a spacious 4.5 ~ 4.8" display. It provides one with so much more room to work. You can size the fonts precisely to suit your choice of sizes.

One huge mistake many people make, is to try one in the store. Besides a distracting environment, a short trial period is completely different than taking one home & using it under your normal usage patterns. Even then it's best to use it for a week, otherwise you're cheating yourself out of an amazing experience.

While not for everyone, no phone is.

18. 'Jay-M macrumors newbie

4s 8g

It's too unreasonably expensive for the price of iPhone in China, I expect the next iPhone too. I'm waiting for the time buying 8g model 4s, for me it's cheaper, storage enough and with SIRI!

19. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I appreciate the suggestion. It appears the new iPhone won't really enhance the portrait mode experience very much, and that's a shame.

20. burnside macrumors 6502

Hopefully more websites will implement responsive design to their pages so that we will not have to worry about the display format of our phones. Most of the sites I visit are properly formatted for multiple display formats.

Just wondering, but which of the popular websites do you guys visit out there that are still not formatted for a mobile device?