Text on 'new' iPhone?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
If the rumors are true, (taller iPhone this fall, 4" screen, 1136 x 640 resolution) how will this affect the way text is displayed in Safari? One of my biggest issues with the current 3.5" screen is that I find text to be too small too often. I realize that in landscape mode the iPhone will benefit greatly from that extra half inch. But what about in portrait mode? Will text appear larger? Or will we simply be getting a bit more screen real estate?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
If the rumors are true, (taller iPhone this fall, 4" screen, 1136 x 640 resolution) how will this affect the way text is displayed in Safari? One of my biggest issues with the current 3.5" screen is that I find text to be too small too often. I realize that in landscape mode the iPhone will benefit greatly from that extra half inch. But what about in portrait mode? Will text appear larger? Or will we simply be getting a bit more screen real estate?
In landscape, you'll get more width from the web page, which might result in larger text. In portrait, you'll just get more height, which results in more web page being displayed.

Comment

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
In landscape, you'll get more width from the web page, which might result in larger text. In portrait, you'll just get more height, which results in more web page being displayed.
So will the text be any larger in portrait? Or will I simply get more webpage vertically to see?

Comment

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
More web page to see. If the screen width remains the same(640 pixels) it should appear exactly the same as on the iPhone 4/4S.
Woah that totally sucks. Text is smaller than I'd like for me in portrait mode most of the time.

Comment

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Pinch to zoom is a wonderful thing.
I agree, yet with so little room to work, it's hardly worth it. I'm not about to give up on iPhone, but I will not buy the next model if these rumors are true.

With no increase in width, landscape mode remains stale and far too limiting.

Comment

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
I think you'd better get an iPad then. Any phone screen will produce small text by default.
Exactly. Unless they release a square iPhone, the portrait orientation will never display larger text than landscape.

Comment

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I think you'd better get an iPad then. Any phone screen will produce small text by default.
I wish I could get something closer to what I've seen on the One X. No need for a tablet man. Apples and oranges.

Comment

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Usually if I want to get bigger text I'd go for landscape mode. But it then sucks a bit because then you always have to scroll down after reading just a few lines. The retina display helps for portrait mode but yeah, stuck with the double-tap/pinch to zoom still. I try using "Reader" function in Safari or apps like readability if I want to get into reading an article on the phone.

Comment

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Speculating on speculations is fun...Oh, and pointless.

Until anything is announced, nobody knows anything. There's no reason to get worried.

Comment

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Try an alternate browser that lets you increase the font size. While iCab has more features, I found Atomic Web works best for this. Hit the gear while on a page and choose to increase or decrease font size.

Comment

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Try an alternate browser that lets you increase the font size. While iCab has more features, I found Atomic Web works best for this. Hit the gear while on a page and choose to increase or decrease font size.
Just tried AW. Awful IMO. Bookmarks icon in the upper left. Much easier when it's on the bottom like Safair. Increasing the font size made it look worse. Browser covers entire top bar (bars, wifi signal, clock, percentage and status bar). Thanks for the suggestion.

I really love Safari. I'm either gonna get the S3 or the new iPhone this fall.

Comment

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Just tried AW. Awful IMO. Bookmarks icon in the upper left. Much easier when it's on the bottom like Safair. Increasing the font size made it look worse. Browser covers entire top bar (bars, wifi signal, clock, percentage and status bar). Thanks for the suggestion.

I really love Safari. I'm either gonna get the S3 or the new iPhone this fall.
You can turn the status bar back on.

Settings -> User Interface -> Status bar -> On

For some reason, I just tried hitting "increase font" and it indeed got smaller, but hitting it again and again made it bigger as expected.

Of course, you'll still have to scroll more, and you can't move the bookmarks button. Sorry it didn't work out!

Comment

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
There's a significant difference when one has a spacious 4.5 ~ 4.8" display. It provides one with so much more room to work. You can size the fonts precisely to suit your choice of sizes.

One huge mistake many people make, is to try one in the store. Besides a distracting environment, a short trial period is completely different than taking one home & using it under your normal usage patterns. Even then it's best to use it for a week, otherwise you're cheating yourself out of an amazing experience.

While not for everyone, no phone is.

Comment

'Jay-M

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Philadelphia
4s 8g

It's too unreasonably expensive for the price of iPhone in China, I expect the next iPhone too. I'm waiting for the time buying 8g model 4s, for me it's cheaper, storage enough and with SIRI!

Comment

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
You can turn the status bar back on.

Settings -> User Interface -> Status bar -> On

For some reason, I just tried hitting "increase font" and it indeed got smaller, but hitting it again and again made it bigger as expected.

Of course, you'll still have to scroll more, and you can't move the bookmarks button. Sorry it didn't work out!
I appreciate the suggestion. It appears the new iPhone won't really enhance the portrait mode experience very much, and that's a shame.

Comment

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Hopefully more websites will implement responsive design to their pages so that we will not have to worry about the display format of our phones. Most of the sites I visit are properly formatted for multiple display formats.

Just wondering, but which of the popular websites do you guys visit out there that are still not formatted for a mobile device?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.