Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During its What's New in Metal, Part 1 session at WWDC 2016, Apple used an iPad to demo the graphics API's new adaptive tessellation capabilities on iOS 10. At the 17:58 mark of the video, a TextEdit icon can be seen on the iPad's home screen from the multitasking app switcher screen.

TextEdit-iOS-10-WWDC-2016-demo.jpg

TextEdit is Apple's basic word processor preinstalled on macOS Sierra and previous OS X versions, but the company has not released a mobile version for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch as it has done for some of its other first-party Mac apps. There are also no third-party apps that fully match the app shown in the screenshot.

TextEdit and Preview icons were previously spotted in a pre-release iOS 8 screenshot, but neither of the apps were included in the public version of the software update. An early 2014 report had said both apps would debut on iOS 8 as read-only document viewers for Preview and TextEdit files stored in iCloud from a Mac.

While there is an outside chance that Apple plans to release a basic text editor on iOS to complement Notes and Pages, the most likely explanation is that TextEdit serves as a simple "Hello World" testing app for internal developers. Apple is known to have several internal apps for use by software engineers and employees only.

Game Center is also shown, despite being removed as a standalone app on iOS 10.

Apple previewed iOS 10 at its WWDC 2016 keynote on June 13 and has seeded the first beta to developers. A public beta will be available in July ahead of an official launch in the fall. iOS 10 is compatible with most devices that can run iOS 9, excluding the iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and 3, original iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch.

(Thanks, Ahmad!)

Article Link: TextEdit Icon Spotted on iOS 10 During WWDC 2016 Demo

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

DiabBarca

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Omdurman - Sudan
I'm kinda curious how did it take a week to get spotted. Regardless, if implemented, I think it would be nice (but to be fair, I don't see if that's very important when we have Notes for small notes and Pages for actual text).

I sometimes need a text editor. Notes is just for minimal text and pages is 350 MB, a storage I need on my 16 Gigs iPhone.
TextEdit will definitely be welcomed in my home screen

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is there a reason why Textedit isn't just combined with Notes?

A way of syncing pdfs between Mac and iOS would be welcome as well. A default PDF viewer with annotation features would play nicely with the Apple Pencil (even though I am already using Notability and PDF expert).

DiabBarca

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Omdurman - Sudan
I can't see much point. It would make more sense to have a preview app for PDFs for example.

I think Apple should split Preview into 2 different apps, one for photos with navigation feature "using keyboard arrows to go through photos in the same folder for instance, and another one for PDFs with more pro editing tools...
The latter one should make its way to iOS...
[doublepost=1466402571][/doublepost]
Is there a reason why Textedit isn't just combined with Notes?

A way of syncing pdfs between Mac and iOS would be welcome as well. A default PDF viewer with annotation features would play nicely with the Apple Pencil (even though I am already using Notability and PDF expert).

They're both good replacements, but an Apple built-in 2 in 1 app will be good...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I really want preview on iOS! :)
[doublepost=1466405567][/doublepost]
I'm kinda curious how did it take a week to get spotted. Regardless, if implemented, I think it would be nice (but to be fair, I don't see if that's very important when we have Notes for small notes and Pages for actual text).
I've used textedit on the mac for coding purposes ... I wonder :p

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I first thought the article would be about the new stuff in Metal – so I got a bit exited – but instead it's about a potential TextEdit app for iOS. Oh, well… :)

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
If we already have Pages and Notes (free) AND they're pushing 365 (paid), can someone explain why we'd need TextEdit as well? Not intended to be snide, could just be something I'm overlooking lol.

Reactions: Sandstorm

logics8

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Since when was the iPad 2 and 3 taken off the list? It was there the day OS10 was announced.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Since when was the iPad 2 and 3 taken off the list? It was there the day OS10 was announced.

The list got updated on the apple site too show what the list was when they had the Keynote

iPhone 4S ipad 2 ipad 3 and iPod touch 5 where not on the list for iOS 10 when they did the keynote

Apple may even remove the A6 iPhone and iPad 4 depending on how testing gos and if the iPhone 5 iPhone 5C and iPad 4 can't handle IOS 10

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
This isn't the first time apple has accidentally showed us a hidden feature or app. Last years WWDC, they had a "Memories" tab for Photos, which never made it until this years

Reactions: mrxak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.