Texting in movie theaters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by senseless, Jan 13, 2014.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It's distracting to other people, in case you haven't figured that out. If you can't wait 2 hours to get vital updates from your friends, do us a favor and stay home.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I see this too! I consider these are the rude of western society.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I thought if the sound was off that would be enough, but the light their phone puts out is also a distraction.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is inconsiderate and selfish, but unfortunately there are many inconsiderate and selfish people out there.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Fortunately, I have never had this happen to me while in the theatres. Some do check their phones occasionally, but not constantly for the duration of the movie.

Make a point and use your phone's camera flash to their face if they annoy you constantly. :D

6. AustinIllini, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Alamo Drafthouse (my favorite theater chain) agrees with you.

[Mod note]
    NSFW - Language.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That was pretty funny. But if she did get kicked out for just using her phone as a flashlight to find her seat, then that's some B.S.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've seen it occasionally and it pisses me off too.

I wish there was some type of "phone check" for movie theaters and performance spaces where people are required to turn them in and pick them up afterward. Logistically, that would be a hassle though.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh wooow. Hahaha. Sad that it happened in Texas too. :rolleyes:

How is the movie theater dark when there's a BIG screen showing a flashy picture?!

I always sit in the very front. More leg room, probably like three rows to myself, and just overall a better experience since people are not going up and down.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Alamo Drafthouse has a pretty strict policy. It's a dining style theatre and each little table thing has lighting under it. Also, there's a strict no late policy, so she should have known where her seat was.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They could just kill signal in the theaters.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

They have started opening them outside of Texas too now, I believe. One in Virginia and one in Michigan. I think California is also in the future.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

She clearly did both.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe that cellphone signal jammers are illegal except for use by prisons if I'm not mistaken.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I agree. Nothing like sitting in a dark theater only to have some moron click his/her phone on and boom, a bright light that your eyes immediately drawn to!

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For a contrarian viewpoint--

I hate it, but, I think it is perfectly OK during previews and during the endless announcements to turn off your cell phone. :D

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

During the movie is unacceptable, but the 20 minutes of previews is fair game.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I have no problem with it during the previews.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The BS is from her. She clearly stated she didn't know she "wasn't allowed to text in the theeee-aiter" and then proudly declared she has texted in every other theater in Austin.

Michael

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've been in theatre performances (not movie, live theatre) where someone has answered their phone and had a conversation while people are acting on stage. Some people are simply classless.

21. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I find it ironic that the more conservative and libertarian leaning people in the forum say something along the lines of texting in movie theaters is selfish and inconsiderate. Isn't setting rules against texting in movie theaters just getting in the way of people's freedoms?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, it is a business that is setting the rules of behavior for its customers. If costumers don't like it, they can go to another theater.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think the problem is that the development of mobile phones and their widespread use is such a recent phenomenon that an agreed form of etiquette - or manners - has yet to evolve over how they should be used in public.

Personally, I'm not a fan of mobile phone usage while watching a movie, and, above all while attending a play. Usually, while attending plays, I have noticed that a member of the theatre staff will mount the stage immediately before the performance to explain where the emergency exits can be found and will then request that the audience turn off their mobile phones during the performance.

24. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

People who ruin the darkness of the theater texting, or yap on the phone in the middle of the movie, should be dragged out into the street and shot.

It's the ONLY way ;)

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well said...:D

The concept of manners apparently is completely antiquated, or total unknown to so many today.