texting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zaze01, Sep 30, 2013.

1. zaze01 macrumors member

I have a iphone 5S... and am trying to block a text message to my iPhone my phone number is blocked.. Is there a way to block someone from sending me a text message ?.. I don't want to upgrade my iPhone to iOS 7...im hearing a lot of problems with that... So how to block a text from a certain number to my
    blocked number

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you have a 5S, then you are already on iOS 7.

3. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

blocked number

I havent downloaded the iOS 7...All I'm trying to find out is if my number is blocked... can i block a text from coming to my blocked phone number?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What phone do you have?

If you have a 5S (like you said), it comes with iOS 7.

If you have iOS 7, you can block a phone number.

I'm not sure what you're asking?

5. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

Blocked Number

OK... my Mistake.. i have the iPhone 5... the iPhone before this one... and I'm trying to block a number so they can't text me to my phone..I'm sorry for the confusion...There are so many different iPhones..Ok thank you for any help..

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's no way to do it from the phone. You'll have to contact your carrier and ask them if the number can be blocked from contacting you.

7. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

Texting..HELP!!!!!

I dont text a lot so i must have done something wrong?.. i can receive a text but my text i send doesnt seem to go thru... i'm on a iPhone 5..and i didn't download the iOS 7... so what do i need to change on some settings?..I need help fast... Thank you

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd reset network settings and see if that helps. Also, reboot your phone.

9. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

Texting

My husband and i both have iPhones..i have iPhone 5 he has iPhone 4s.. we dont text a lot.. and up until a few days ago we had no problems texting.. But now i can receive his text but now he can't receive mine..I don't think I've changed anything in my settings?.. So i hope someone can help.. I am able to send and receive from other people but my husband can't receive my text.. I hope someone can help with my problem.. And no neither of us have updated to the iOS 7.. So thats not the problem...Thanks for any help..

10. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

texting

How to block my name when texting to someone with an android phone and me having a iPhone 5... I want just my number to show not my name.. Is this possible to do?.. Thanks for any help

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If they have your number in their contacts your name will show.

If they don't have your number saved, then they will only see your number.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

on someone else's phone? not possible unless the other user changes it on their device.

13. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

texting

So if they have been sending me a text just using my number and i reply my name wont show?... Ok now on my iPhone it says..You can be reached at.. my
    phone number and email address... but my phone number isn't highlighted... my email address is... How do i just show my number not my email number?
    It says if i remove my email..i will no longer be able to receive iMessages at my email address on any device..?.. So how do i highlite just my phone number not my email address?.. I know its confusing.. but i just need help... Thanks

14. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive -> make sure start new conversations has your phone number checked and not your email address.

15. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

texting

ok i think i have it now.....where it says ... You can be reached my iMessage at:.. my phone number isn't high lighted...just my email address.. but.. where it says... Start new conversation from... my phone number is checked and is high lighted...Thats what i want to just have my phone number showing and not my name.. right?... if so... Thank you soooo much

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

that's iMessage only, you said your friend has an android.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That setting doesn't apply when you're texting someone with an Android phone (or any other non-iPhone or non-Apple device). With your friend, you're just sending regular SMS, which always uses just your phone number.

18. zaze01 thread starter macrumors member

texting

Yes my friend has an android phone... so that means just my phone number shows on a text to my friend and not my name.... Thank you all very much..:)

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Are you using SMS or iMessage for texts?

Have you tried logging out and then back into your accounts?

20. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Unblock him. And next time he won't do the dishes, don't block him.

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Moderately witty but totally unhelpful. :rolleyes:

He fails to receive her texts, not the direction in which you note.

OP, which iOS is each iPhone using?

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Also, you keep using the word "texting" ... between iPhones that's almost unheard of, so we'll assume you mean iMessage...

1) Check setting on both. Is iMessage toggled on and not "Waiting for Activation..." ?

2) In the send-from field, on both phones is your own phone number selected?

3) When you clear a conversation then open a new one to him, is it green or blue? If blue, it's trying to send as iMessage, and if so, does it say delivered when you send, or does it said (!)Failed? If green, is it failing, or succeeding and just not delivering? If it's a real text and not delivering, that's an issue you have to contact your carrier about. If it's blue and saying sent but not delivered, your iMessage settings are goofed up, you'll need to re-initialize messaging and work through it (lots of guides on here, just search)

23. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

My moms iphone started not being able to send me text. She would get mine but I wouldn't receive hers. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple... Apple had me reset her iphone and erase all data ... Like new iphone.. Then he had her try to text me. It worked ( 1st time in 2 weeks). When I restored all info back from iCloud, and tried again, no luck, I received a error code. We came to the conclusion that there had to be a corrupt file in her contacts. Our only option was to delete all her contacts, texts messages , phone calls and voice mails... Anything associated with that phone number giving you trouble . After your contacts etc are deleted. Do I iCloud back up. Then reset your phone to new. Then restore from your new back up... ( with no contacts saved) . Then the only option was to re enter all contacts by hand. We had 3 various back ups of her contacts... Everytime we tried to use any of the various contact back ups, we would get error code. We are still entering her contacts by hand. That's the biggest pain... But her iMessages and SMS is finally working. We just did this Thursday, all is working fine. I read everything on the web about fixing this issue... Only thing that worked was the above drastic solution . Hope this helps. I left out that I had a spare Iphone, so we tried setting that up as her new phone, but when we restored her back up, same issue... Couldn't text me, error code... So yes, tried everything. Good luck