TH: Trump names Elon Musk, Uber CEO to advisory team

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ok, so "more jobs" that pay less and treat employees as contractors so they don't have to provide any benefits, woo hoo.

4. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You should see how taxis work. Most people have no clue of how bad and inhuman that environment is.
    Uber is a blessing.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I worked Uber, no it's not.

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Talk to a taxi driver. Or pretend (as I did) that you want to become one and go check the "behind the scenes". You will understand how important uber is.
    Perfect, probably no.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And the answer to an poorly regulated taxi service is naturally to operate in the 1880's model of no worker protections or benefits. That makes a ton of sense.

Uber's business model is to set up shop in a location, then deal with the regulations after the fact using their user base as leverage against compliance. They've done this all over the world.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The Uber model has benefits but it needs serious fixes.

1. The contractor model has to go. They should be employees of Uber and make an hourly rate with benefits.
    2. Unionizing should be a serious consideration
    3. Fixing the insurance situation on these cars. Drivers should be fully insured by Uber including their passengers.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Do taxi drivers have benefit? No.
    Can they handle their own business? Barely.
    Do they make their own decisions? No, they start the day $300 in the hole, and they have to make for it just to break even.
    Do taxi drivers work less than 10 hours a day? They can't.
    Can a better competitor start? No. See Medallions.

Uber is not perfect. The blessing is in the fact that it is creating competition in a field that is owned by local Mafias.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    Oh absolutely.

But uber drivers enjoy a lot of freedom. Again, I am not against it, they should probably have choice. Be hired and work 8 hours a day w/ benefits, or be independent and do what you want without benefits.

I leave that to them.

100% true.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Perfect? No one is asking for perfection, I'm wondering why in the hell a company has the ability to set up shop in a state/country without complying with the tax codes and business regulations in the first place.

12. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Can't say about taxes, but business regulations for that type of transportation cause a monopoly; there is no way that a company could grow following those regulations without... bending them a bit.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I imagine Musk's performance will result in something along these lines( go to 11:36).

:p

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think people should focus less on quantity of jobs and more on quality of jobs.

Nobody misses elevator operators, that button panel and sensors make essentially like a self-driving elevator. Nobody misses the ice delivery industry, where mining the ice and delivering the ice was a terrible back-breaking work. Instead we got factories that make refrigerators, where the quality of life for the workers was a bit better, even if the total sum of jobs meant fewer jobs. There are plenty more of these examples.

Rather than focusing on "saving" jobs, we should be focusing on creating "better" jobs. Better means higher paying, less harmful to workers, higher quality of life for the workers, and jobs that advance society forward.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

NAFTA took plenty and TPP will take even more "quality" jobs away. hard to say where these better jobs will be created when the deck is seemingly stacked against us :(

16. cube macrumors G5

Become a taxi service and we can start to talk.

17. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Remove the mafia that manages it, and we can start to talk.

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Try "years", not decades. It's already better than human driving in extra urban situations, and this is a Tesla video posted a couple of weeks back, showing FULL autonomous driving.

So, two tech advisors, both heavily into autonomous driving... hmmm...

Allow me to quote myself, from last week:

I think autonomous driving is going to be a revolution, I just wonder how it's going to play with Trump's vacuous promise to create more jobs. Is he going to push for big state interventionist laws to be passed to put more barriers to progress? Or is he going to put business first at the cost of millions of jobs?

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

[​IMG]

NAFTA sent some assembly manufacturing jobs to Mexico. Hardly quality jobs though - mostly final assembly type of work. Most of the advanced and high-tech parts in US cars are still made in the US. In exchange, we got some white-collar jobs created (engineering, sales, etc.). Almost every economist agrees that between lower-cost of goods to US consumers and creation of higher-paid jobs, NAFTA was a good thing. I know some Trumpettes believe everything he says, but I expected you to be more critical of every baseless accusation he spouts.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-wallach/nafta-at-20-one-million-u_b_4550207.html

21. cube macrumors G5

Do not avoid taxes, and we can start to talk.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We should be focusing on education and not the single track that we have now that puts 18 year old kids out with no skills. We need a working group between states and corporations so we can project what we'll need in the workforce in 5, 10, 15, and 20 years down the road so we can incentivize colleges to produce those people. We need to kill or greatly restructure the H1B program so it can't be used a leverage against skilled white collar workers. Once we start tracking kids we need to reduce or eliminate college tuition for public institutions. We cannot continue down the road we're going and expect to remain competitive. As parents we need to stop thinking that our precious Johnny and Sally are necessarily going to go to college even if they've showed no academic acumen, and stop treating blue collar types as second class and replaceable because it continues the cycle.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We also need jobs people without advanced degrees can do.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    In the UK lorry drivers bought the country to its knees by blocking the refineries over fuel costs. That they wouldn't over jobs is a fairy tale.

24. oneMadRssn, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree with all that. As to the last comment, I would say we should eliminate this whole classist bullplop from our vernacular entirely. I have met plenty of men and women working in "blue collar" jobs that are far smarter and better at their particular jobs than some "white collar" idiots. The focus should be on being the best you can possibly be at what you do, while remaining intellectually nimble enough to make a career adjustment when it becomes necessary to do so. Lawyers and plumbers charge about the same amount per hour. The bad ones charge less, the good ones charge more, and the elite ones charge a lot more.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Absolutely. Those jobs need to also be something a robot can't do and won't be able to do in the next 5-10 years. Those jobs also need to be something that can't be computerizing through machine learning in the next 5-10 years. There can be advanced jobs without the need for an advanced degree. And there needs to be a safety net for those who legitimately and earnestly cannot find any work, first as retraining programs, and second as welfare.

I just think subsidizing corporations (through tax breaks or otherwise) to keep around inefficient or unneeded jobs is bad policy. Corporations are about making money, not adult day care. If we need adult day care, then let's make adult day care and leave the manufacturing industry out of it.