Thank god Trump wasn't at the White House Correspondents Dinner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Watching it last night, it occurred to me that in previous years, Hasan Minhaj's standup would have been followed by President Obama throwing some good-natured shade back at the press. Obama was actually quite good at it...so good, in fact, that I began to suspect that he had Daily Show writers ghostwriting his jokes.

Then I realized that if Trump had been there, he'd have given his version of "jokes": mean-spirited cracks that would elicit groans from the attendees. Just as well that he crawled back into the safe womb of one of his sad rallies.

FWIW, Minhaj wasn't particularly good last night. I suspect a lot of it wasn't his fault, but had to do with the WHCA asked him not to pick on Trump.

All that said -- oh, what I wouldn't give to see Trump actually there, with Stephen Colbert as the entertainment!

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I may be wrong, but I doubt you will ever see Donald Trump at the Correspondent's Dinner. He simply is not the sort of person who can participate in that sort of (mostly good-natured) ribbing.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump allowed Comedy Central to roast him. I don't think he liked it and the writers said he was awful to work with but he allowed it.

I watched the set last night. Yes it was a weird night but I think he did good with what he had to work with.

5. Populism Suspended

Populism

So your beef/thread is about your impression of what Trump might have done had things been the way they weren't?

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I do believe you have got it surrounded, Mr. Morden.

OTOH, he might have given an eloquent, soaring speech in defense of a free press, because, you know, he's such a warrior in the cause of facts, truth and investigative journalism.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

lol I would really love to live long enough to hear that speech. I'm not crazy yet, however, so I'm not pegging it as my reason to get up in the morning.

Just Trump's admission in an interview that the Presidency is a tougher job than he had figured is perhaps a tiny tip of his hat to objective reality. The same with his adjustments to who's who in the White House amongst his advisors. I'll be surprised if he manages to keep the support of his base when they get the drift of his economic policies though. He and the Congress are paving the runway for kleptocracy with their focus on ditching taxes and industry regulations. It's the 90s on steroids, only no safety net this time because the people would never stand for another bailout like the one that was engineered for the banks the last time around.

We need the press to stay on his case (and on that of a GOP Congress) to moderate this crazy blueprint and to prevent another financial disaster with even worse consequence than the global collapse ten years ago. I'm sorry he didn't show up to get roasted but I'm sure even he realizes the WHCA is not going to close up shop just because he doesn't have a sense of humor. Note to The Donald: You can snub the press but baby they will never snub you while you're The Prez.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh I totally disagree with that. He had some really good stuff in there! And was fair in his digs at everyone. I especially liked the CNN breaking news one. He's right...they overuse it. They will have a breaking news banner for a story that happened eight hours ago. As he pointed out, not everything is breaking news CNN.

His give the job to the minority stuff was pretty good too. I think he did as good a job as anyone else has done the last few years.

But I was disappointed when Obama didn't come out from behind a curtain and ask people "miss me?". Such a missed opportunity!!

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Obama coming out would have been far to polarizing and might have killed any chance the press had with the Trump White House.

Now the crowd doesn't like the majority of jokes at the WHCD. They either don't get the jokes or think they above them. It's a tough room to win over on a good year.

10. darksithpro, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, I'll buy that! CNN looks ridiculous when they do that. Which is often.

And I did like Minhaj's joke, "I do not see Steve Bannon. Do not see Steve Bannon. Not see Steve Bannon. Notsee Steve Bannon."

Omigod, an even better missed opportunity -- they should've invited Obama to speak after Minhaj. Not only would it have been funny, not only would it have probably got an ovation, not only would it have shown what a real president is like...but it would've infuriated Trump! :cool::cool::cool:

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Can't be more polarizing than Trump already is. And would have been funny as heck. Why not? Trump already says he now has "no relationship" with Obama. Maybe Obama could talk about wiretapping Trump in the way he talked about Trump looking into if the moon landing was faked. :D

Here's the deal....despite all his putdowns of the media, Trump needs the media. He runs to it every chance he gets.