Thank you Apple for the new 13" MBP problems. I'm in love with my new Air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shstiger2009, Mar 6, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Here we go...

So I had a 2009 MBP that I loved, but felt like I wanted more speed when running certain programs and when I found out on the 24th the 2011 new MBP's were coming out, I was ecstatic. I immediately went and bought one on the 25th, and sold my 2009 which was a mistake.

I noticed all of the issues that people have been posting about the 13" Pros, so I called Apple and told them and they agreed to just give me a replacement. I thought great! I went to the Apple store on the 27th of February and got my replacement. Still, the same issues (main ones for me were the noisiness and the backlit keyboards both never turned off) and I began reading that a lot of people were having issues, and I didn't want to keep going back to Apple and getting a replacement over and over.

I started reading about how amazing the Air's were a while back, and just never considered it because I just always thought I'd have a 13" Pro. I tried to put up with the new MBP, but I just wasn't happy for the 3 days I had it. I constantly was looking at the Air, wishing I had my old 2009 one back or could give the Air a test. I splurged and thought, if I'm not happy now then I won't be in the long run. I bought a MBA 13" from MacMall and got it overnighted. I received it on Friday the 4th.

Wow. Just wow. This thing is truly amazing. I love every single thing about it, and the only disadvantage to the Pro for me is the backlit keyboard. But then again, after my problems with the 13" I'm glad I'm not constantly wondering why it won't turn off in bright daylight. Other than that I am just extremely impressed and truly didn't think it could be this fast and efficient. Also, I've been on the forums for about an hour and a half now and my battery is still quoting me at 8 hours. Pretty freaking awesome.

Well, I went and returned the replacement MBP yesterday to Apple, and I'm not looking back. To me, this thing runs circles around the other machine and I really couldn't be happier with it. I am truly GLAD the two 2011 MBP's had problems because I would have never thought of even buying a MBA had they not.

Just another happy MBA user. :D

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I love my base 11" too. If this thing was a sexy petite chick I'd bang the hell out of her. Oh lawd!

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it sad that I said this exact same thing to my friend yesterday? :D

4. namtaB macrumors regular

I wouldn't say I'm glad that the 2011 MBPs have problems. Laptops are a big investment and having had a Dell years ago with a few problems in the first 2 months b/c of design defects, I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone. My attitude is that the MBP users can keep their SB processors, I'm happy with the C2D and SSD combo in the MBA.

5. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm happy they had problems for ME, because a week ago the thought of having a MBA didn't even cross my mind. But no, what I went through with just 2 MBP's I wouldn't wish on anyone.

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was also ready to replace my 2009 MBP 13 (2.5 GHz, 4GB Ram, 7200 rpm drive,) with the new 13" i7. At the last minute, I decided to go the portability route and went with a refurb MBA 13 Ultimate. Wow, I've had the MBA for a few days, and I can't believe how much quicker it is with everyday tasks compared to my 2009 MBP, and the size/weight is incredible! I don't think I'll be able to go with a heavier notebook ever again.

7. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I did the same as you. Bought a cheap 11" air when I got sick of my high end 2010 MBP 15" being replaced 3 times and all of them having issues. Never looked back

8. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. It's incredible. Loving my base 13" with 4GB RAM. Just didn't go for the higher end processor. Also, the battery life is great. I think I could get 9 hours just surfing the internet.

Yep, sounds like the same situation. So glad I went the Air route.

9. mcm2839 macrumors newbie

I've had the 13" MBP for a week and love it. It was hard to choose between the Air and MBP, but glad I went MBP. I haven't had the problems you mentioned in your original post. What problems are people having with them? Mine seems solid.

10. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Probably more than 95% of new 13" MBP owners should have bought the Air instead.

11. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Click in the laptop when you move it. This is normal, but why didn't it happen with my 2009? Backlit keyboard. Does yours stay on and not fade when you have much more than just adequate light?

It's true. I'd say the 5% that should have the MBP instead of the Air are people who are editing video/pictures, encoding, but need portability as well. That's not me, and I'm so happy I realized the Air is what I needed.

12. mcm2839 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say that high of a percentage. I wanted the MBP because I was able to get more hardware for my buck. Plus the weight isn't as big of a deal to me as it seems for others. I already lug around 240lbs every day, an additional pound or two doesn't hurt. Plus the back lit keyboard was very important to me, since I do a lot of writing at night.

However, I was tempted to get the Air because it's one sexy machine. My old MBP 15" made a clicking noise when I moved it for years, never effecting performance. I'll keep a watch out on this one.