Thank you for setting us free

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by grandM, Nov 10, 2018.

1. grandM macrumors 65816

grandM

As this forum has many Americans on it I would like to express my gratitude. A hundred years ago you delivered us from the first wave. The second wave proved to be one of pure evil.

Twice you gave us the chance to regain our humanity. For this Europe is forever in your debt. Let's make sure this madness never happens again.

2. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

My grandfather-in-law passed away only a few months ago. He served in WWII and was the only survivor from his tank crew when their tank was destroyed at the Battle of the Bulge. He was 19 at the time, and after a hospital recovery he was redeployed to help with the liberation of towns in France. He grew up in Texas during the Great Depression. A wonderful man and an absolute treasure as a great-grandfather to my children.

I know that he would appreciate your post very much.

3. HDFan macrumors 65816

Thank you for your post. In a dark time it is
    greatly appreciated.

I was named after my Uncle who died at the Battle of the Bulge. He was in the typist pool and they just threw everyone on the battlefield, no matter what their qualifications. A family member worked hard to find out exactly how he died but everyone who was there told him it was so chaotic that there is no way we will ever know.

I will never forget a visit to the American cemetery in Normandy. It was early morning, blue skies, with dew covering the grass and all of those white crosses lined up by the thousands, row by row. It was simultaneously spectacularly beautiful and sad. And this was just one cemetery for one of many nations that sacrificed their youth that day. How horrible that they had to die so young. How wonderful that that they were heroes giving up their lives for something bigger and greater than themselves.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but what are you on about? A hundred years ago America didn't want to be in a war, and mostly were not. Technically, for 9 months. The "second wave" was only brought into motion by an attack on Pearl Harbor. Yeah, Germany had a tough time after 1918, and elected a crazy demagogue. So we've come full circle, i guess. I honestly think you are being disingenuous. Cool. Just be honest.

5. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

And what of all the British & Commonwealth; French and Russian/ Soviet folk who gave their lives in millions to defeat German militarism? Surely they are equally worthy of your gratitude? This fiction that the US swept in from the heavens to singlehandedly deliver a warring Europe to peace is incredibly offensive to those of us who lost family in those awful wars that should never have happened.

6. grandM thread starter macrumors 65816

grandM

I totally agree with you. Those men were equally important. I just reckoned this was primarily an American forum. On my Twitter account I actually mentioned other countries too yesterday. I certainly meant no disrespect.

7. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Sadly, you OP will leave some people thinking America was the only thing important in WW1.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Today for us in the UK was to remember all the lost servicemen and women who gave their lives for our freedom. It was also to acknowledge and respect our British and commonwealth veterans who bare the scars of conflict but are still with us. It wasn’t about thanking America or the other nations who took part. It was about remembering our own sacrifices as we do at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month every year.

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

It's always bittersweet on Veterans Day. My elders fondly talk about the wars (WWI & WWII especially) as we've had family members participate in almost every campaign. But they can never forget all the racism, bigotry and violence at the hands of their fellow Americans. It was most stinging when our veterans returned home and were treated worst than the "enemy" overseas.

I honor the commitment of all veterans, even if I mostly disagree with the campaigns so many of them fought in. I am named after a long-departed uncle that was forced to serve in Vietnam. He served two tours and was severely wounded. He lived a bitter, frightful existence a decade and a half after his service. He felt as if his country forgot about him after his forced service.

On this Veterans Day and every day, I let them know that I remember and honor them.