Thank you Mr. Jon Stewart (on 9/11)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jun 11, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree.... He was spot on and congress is a disgrace....

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

To be more accurate, Mitch McConnell is the disgrace. The 9/11 First Responders bill has 309 bipartisan co-sponsors in the House. It’s McConnell who is blocking it.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Whats his excuse?

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

The saddest part is Jon Stewart has to do this every year. Every year we have to beg congress for scraps while the Pentagon loses trillions with impunity (FYI the Pentagon trillions mishap was discovered the day before 9/11).

6. niji Contributor

niji

this.
    anyone?

7. BoxerGT2.5, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This was the best thing I've seen on the internet in a long time. Every one of those ****ers, I don't care what party they belong to, deserve to get reamed for this.

8. hmmfe macrumors regular

I watched the video yesterday; I just sat there in silence for a while. Not that I was unaware of the issue, but Jon's testimony was that powerful. To broaden this just a bit - it seems to me there are many, many issues just like this one that can/should/does have broad consensus among the people. This really highlights how our country is being harmed, quite literally, by our current political system. Mitch is an obvious target (a truly horrible human being), but he is cynically playing a game that was created by and perpetuated by others.

If nothing else, this situation should be front and center in everyone's thinking as we start the 2020 election cycle. One election can't fix everything (or even anything) but it can be the first step in a new direction that can fix things.

To be clear, I am not taking sides from a party perspective because both sides have (are) playing this same game. Welcome to the new normal where parties, money and power come before country. I know the past was not ideal either but we are at a new low within the context of my lifetime.

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

Four letter word. Starts with "C" ends with "T" and he is one.

Congress has always had this weird issue with 9/11 first responders. They also have issues with the military regardless of whether it's a liberal or conservative in office. They're all for the military when they're over there, but hardly give a damn when those members get out and have to rely on the VA if they didn't come from a well-off background.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Wow right off the bat Jon was not pulling punches, and not hitting below the belt. This should be shared everywhere.

11. cajun67 macrumors regular

cajun67

If we had Medicare for All, this wouldn't even be an issue.

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The word "Mitch" is a worse epitaph than female body parts.

It seems he was using the bill as a bargaining chip for other projects.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    We probably need an entirely new system, not just expand an existing one.