Thanks again religion: Two honor killings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 15, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Awfully confrontational of you, don't you think?

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup! And after the thousands of years of "modern" religion ruling the roost, its time for us to be. You want to walk around my town, handing out your jesus saves booklets, you want everyone running for public office talking about how important god is in their lives, you want people posting page long "questions" about religion that are really just adverts for christ, etc etc. Yeah, then when some piece of **** cuts off her daughter's head in the name of her religion, I'm gonna be a little confrontational....

P.S. Strangles, cuts off her head, whatever...

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Nothing says 'confrontational' like being throttled to death.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's strange how they deem marrying someone from from a different religion as bringing shame onto the family but don't seem too bothered about murder. :confused:

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is the tone of his post. I would call it a trolling post and pure flame bait.

Sorry but these people do not represent any religion and should not be compared as such. The ones who beat the people to death are nut cases. Religion was nothing more than an excuse but not the reason.

Please leave religion out of it instead of doing trolling and flame baiting post.

Top it off you might want to make it clear this was in India. Not the US or any western country. The ton of your post was pure flame bait.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Who cares where it took place? I posted something you disagreed with, you called it flame bait. Your response holds no more validity then those who call people who give an apple product a negative review trolls. Or those who give Em possitive reviews, fan boys.

8. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

Is it just me or this the opposite of the iDisk threads (except for the whole "blatant troll posts and flamebait" thing?

Short, hostile, direct, anti-religion vs. long, sickeningly proselytizing, vague and pro-Christianity?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no it is flame bait and you know it. You leave out key piece of information and then just went with a ton that was a aggressive and there try to be flame bait.
    Threat title and all.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The two girls made a big mistake by returning home. They underestimated their mothers' bigotry.

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What key piece of information did I leave out? The country it took place in? Its right there in the article and what does that change? And since when did three sentences become A TON? Obviously I hit a nerve among some of you religious types and you have nothing better to hit back with then a personal attack. And to Sam: if you think me posting how disgusted I am with two mothers killing their daughters over who they married is hostile, then you don't know what the word hostile means. And one final thought, RP: you said I should leave the religion out of this. This story is all about religion. Those girls were killed because they went against their mother's believes. They would not have been killed for any other reason. That is what a honor killing is: a murder in the name of religion. Without religion, this would not have happened. If you can't accept that, that's you're problem, that's not me trolling, its the truth.

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Please stop asking people to ignore the hatred and bigotry that religion fuels.

And 'honour killing' doesn't occur in the USA then?

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Then change the thread title. I am also pointing out this is not the norm but more of the extreme end. The thread title pisses me off.

I can tell you right now religion was the excuse for these killings not the reason for it. That is typical excuse people fall back on. Biggest reason is the mothers did not agree with the cultural difference the men grew up with did not line up with the girls plan and simple.

Add in the Stay Class part it is pure flame bait.

You call me personal attack. You started the attack with a broad stroke attack and I am going to call people out on their BS. It was not a personal attack but calling you out on a trolling post. You knew when you posted in the way you did that it was to piss people off and try to get flame bait end of story.

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So you are saying that these women would have killed their daughters even if they were not part of religion that teaches their followers that honor killings are ok? Its fine to believe that, in your words, the cultural differences was enough, in their minds, to kill their own blood. But religion had nothing to do with it. Ridiculous!!! Show me where these killings over cultural differences are taking place. I can show you years and years of honor killings in the name of religion. And of course this is not the norm but it still happens; too many times a year to ignore or to just write off with the lame "it would have happened no matter what, religion is just the excuse." Sorry, its not. Without this religion in these two families, those women would not have killed their daughters. Turn a blind eye all you want to it.
    As for your ongoing troll/flame bait junk, get a new line. This is a news story about religion. I opened this thread to talk about the horrors that religion can bring upon innocent people. If you can't handle it, find another thread to kill time in. Maybe one of those riveting white iphone or black iphone threads is more your speed.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

There may be some truth to this. Reading the end portion of the article, honor killings seem to be an issue of clan, caste, or religion.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Honor killings in the bible:

“And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.” (Leviticus 21:9)

Yeah, religion doesn't play a part at all. :rolleyes:

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Read this please and then tell me that we should take religion out of our discussion:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/02/10/why-is-the-media-silent-on-honor-killings/

This one clearly points out that there is, of course, a difference between honor killings and domestic violence:

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Honor_Related_Violence

Just wanted to add this one that does bring up the point, does culture also have something to do with honor killings (but certainly doesn't let religion off of the hook):

http://www.wiisisrael.com/?p=360

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The senseless deaths of two young women pisses me off. Can you change that?

19. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Truth hurts?

I think the thread title is spot on.

20. johneaston macrumors regular

Odd place to post this, but reading this thread has made me think...

What annoys me about religion is that the religious have a place to come together and celebrate their beliefs. They go to church (or wherever), praise the lord, knock on doors to preach to people, watch religious programmes paid for by my licence fee and just generally spread the word of religion. Religion is a PASSION.

Those that don't believe don't have such an outlet for their lack of belief. People, naturally, don't get together to not believe and, as such, the small number of people who practice religion get a disproportionate voice in the world.

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Try here. They have meetings, conventions, and support groups, I think.

22. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Remember, Guns don't kill people, people do, religion doesn't kill people, people do.

But you could always make it easy and put people in to groups if that makes you feel better in the morning, maybe even start camps and what not.

23. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Riiiiight- just look at all the Christian priests that have been burning their children. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, look at the "religion of peace"- do they stone those that shame them? Cut off the heads of those who don't believe them? Constantly create war? I thought so.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

1. Muslim Honor Killings take place in India
    2. Somehow Relate it to Christianity
    3. ??????
    4. Profit!

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You hit on what has been confusing me about this thread. It's like the article was essentially irrelevant. It's as if OP had a preexisting diatribe looking for a springboard, even a tangential springboard. If the issue is "religion," why the mention of "jesus saves booklets," and not Buddhism? If the issue is modern day religion-related honor killings, then why the strange, defensive segue into the plight of Atheists?

The actual subject matter of the article is very alarming to say the least, and may warrant its own thread. The issue of whether religions cause more damage and death than they stop is likewise an interesting topic. And whether Atheists get an unfair bad rap has its merits. But the way those three things are smushed together doesn't advance any of these topics. Rather, it comes across as a "I hate religion, so THERE!" thread.