Thanks for being civil!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Apr 18, 2013.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

This isn't really a political discussion, but it relates to this forum, so I decided to post it here.

Just wanted to show my appreciation for most of the civility around here. I know there are strong arguments on both sides, but at least it doesn't get crazy.

I started following another PRSI-style board, and it flows fast. I'm talking 30 threads updated within a few minutes. But it is psychotic the sheer amount of harsh back and forth going on. I realize that I'm more liberal and will disagree with a lot of right-wing banter, but that place makes fivepoint and inthenet (for those of you who remember them) look like vegan hippies.

At first, I kind of enjoyed arguing with them. Then I found that even suggesting a liberal viewpoint is met with dozens of hardcore right-wing ideology, name calling, and suggestions that you are nothing more than a welfare mooch wanting to steal from real Americans. And the contempt for Obama...dear God...

So again...thanks for providing a place where we can come and discuss issues, no matter how strong our opinion, without getting out of hand!

2. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Civil, but biased. I'm already pegged as nowhere close to center when I am agnostic, pro choice and pro gay rights (to name 3). That alone eliminates me from being on the right by US politics. Maybe somewhere else it's difference.

My point is, I think this forum is much farther left than the other you were at.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This forum is left leaning for sure but there are a handful of conservative members, as well as moderate, such as myself

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Doesn't matter, I get called a Libt@&d on conservative boards.:) I really don't hate either side, I do hate the hate. I'm a dinosaur, an old liberal that's against racism, bigotry, war no matter which side it comes from. I make no acceptions for political reasons.

Sorry samiwas, don't want to turn this into a thread about me.

5. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh absolutely. This forum is definitely more left. I am quite left myself. And I actually found that one and thought it might be interesting to hang around in a more right-leaning forum to get into some discussions with people from the other side.

Little did I know that it was a bloodbath. Let's put it this way...one topic was about that doctor who killed babies with scissors, and the topic was how this guy was the left's hero and that Obama celebrated him. I don't even know how to respond to that.

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Any forum with a large number of both sides is a bloodbath. It seems to get worse every year. I'm socially liberal, but not a progressive where things are only bad if one side does it. So i consider myself in the middle as conservatives think I am a libt@&d and progressives think I am a win@%ut.

7. vega07 macrumors 65816

You don't! You just leave. :D

All of the comment threads on every news site are flooded with similar people. Americans are just really stupid.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I completely agree with that.

I know that I, for one, certainly is...er...are...am!!!:p

:D

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Been there. Done that.

I don't need or want to foster anger and resentment.

(Though sometimes it happens regardless.)

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

US politics are so far off center compared to most other systems in the world. It used to be dead center with some on the left and some of the right, then over the years with more and more people gaining a voice and their civil rights, the center moved more and more to the right, which now makes anyone on the right sound like a bigot while the more liberal folk are considered centrists.

If average conservatives would stop clinging to old-fashioned ideology, the political balance would be restored.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This is a good political forum even though it is very left. I consider myself a moderate who is pro-choice, pro gay rights, and pro gun rights. I believe that welfare should only be a safety net and not a way of life. Taxes should be fair and that the answer isn't always raising them and we need to spend carefully. We need to maintain a strong military in our country, but should cut waste when possible and ensure we have a strong yet efficient force.

Now I am sure my feelings on gun control, welfare, taxes, military and spending make me appear very conservative on this forum, but that is fine with me. I personally consider myself liberal on social issues and a moderate on the other issues.

It is a bit funny that unless you agree with the entire platform you do tend to get labeled a pretty hard core conservative on this forum.

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been on the receiving end of that nonsense. :rolleyes:

13. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually don't think I've seen even the most hard core conservative on this forum come close to the average in the other one. There's only so much you can read about "whiny ass *******s who all voted for Obama because they're ignorant and they want their handouts and want to destroy America" before you realize that it's just not the real world.

One of my favorite discussions was with a guy who said that everyone should pay taxes, regardless of how much they make (he was talking about the poor). He then claimed that he/his company makes 8 figures per year but he uses accounting tricks to make it look like his companies lose money, and pays himself through debt, so that he doesn't have to pay any taxes. Of course, I think he's a troll, but the sentiment is still there.

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, I mean if you think it's undesirable, why wouldn't you try and cheat an unjust system?

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

True hardcore conservatives are not on this forum. They would not last long here. I do find some of the "more conservative" members of the forum provide excellent debate and are many times the voice of reason especially when we are debating Second Amendment issues. Compared to other forums this one is pretty civil no matter your political beliefs and I hope it remains that way.

16. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Mac owners have traditionally been far more liberal than their PC using brethren. I also think its fair to say that an Android user will have a less liberal viewpoint than an iPhone user.
    That said, I don't see too many if any truly left viewpoints on this forum. Most, like me, seem to be slightly left of centre.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

On one hand it is like you are a complete jerk,
    and then on another is the statistical evidence that most high schoolers think Canada is one of the states of America. :D

The really sad part is how many "conservatives" say government should get out of peoples lives, yet want to impose dozens of social laws (no gay marriage, ban all abortions, curfew for minors, etc).

----------

That is becuase they are suffering from poor quality, frustrating OSes. :D

In this political day and age, even PC users are considered Liberal. True conservatives still use typewriters! :rolleyes:

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Any board that restricts and punishes name calling and requires fact based discussions is going to be, by definition, liberal leaning.

I say that as a member who has, from the left, received my fair share of punishment for being an idiot.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

That statement on its own just demonstrates your left leaning bias, as you are incapable of believing that there are calm, reasoned, intelligent and self-controlled individuals whose views lean to the right.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Who is arguing for a curfew law?

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

But that's the very definition of conservatism. If average conservatives embraced change for change's sake, they'd be progressives.

22. PracticalMac, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Some conservative politician in Texas town... CanT recall which.
    Heard it last year.

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

So one dude in a town in some podunk area of the largest state in the US said it.

Well. I'll be damned. My town, that stupid liberal city, already instituted a curfew for minors. Why. I've heard it's common all over the country!

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No, I would prefer a right leaning board with the same rules. I would enjoy the discussions and the debates instead of a giant circle jerk. I want to have a reasoned discussion with people who are right-leaning. I loved inthenet and fivepoint, and still lament their loss. I enjoy a good debate.

If you can piont me to a good right leaning board where differing viewpoints are encouraged, name calling is prohibited, and trolling isn't allowed, I'll be there. (edit - I've tried many)

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What town?
    And isn't Ohio conservative leaning?

My impression of the Texas towns politician was they where not trying to address a serious problem, doing due to a perceived problem.

Well, the media don't always do a good job with facts (especially IRT aircraft).