Thanks obama [M855 proposed ball ammo ban]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

NRA is going to swell thanks to him
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You are absolutely right, we don't want any kind of restrictions placed on guns, more guns, more ammo is the ideal. :rolleyes: All ready been here, done this, so my goal is to provide a single response, unless you can incite me, lol. ;)

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

How can we be expected to defend ourselves against criminals wearing armor?

4. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Want excitement? Buy at regular price & sell for 3x:eek:

5. citizenzen, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time finding source material not generated by right-wing or gun advocate sites.

I did find this PDF from the ATF that may be what people are talking about: http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Library/Notices/atf_framework_for_determining_whether_certain_projectiles_are_primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf.

But could the OP or anybody interested provide actual material from the government that spells out their plan (or corroborate that is what my linked PDF does)?

Edit: a little more digging indicates that the PDF I linked to is the proposed policy. Anybody interested in debating this issue should probably read that PDF first.

Edit II: the ATF is soliciting public comments on how best to implement this new regulation ...

6. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

3 different walmart a. All the m855 gone. Online retailers empty

Attached Files:

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    And that's why the NRA loves talking about these little bans in planning. As far as they're concerned, the best thing that ever happened to them was Obama.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Hence the title . About 80 million gun owners and only 5 million NRA members, the democrats & plenty of stupid restrictions that do nothing is one reason why the NRA still exist . Selling my stuff at 3 times what I paid for it, that there gets me another 1911:D

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Having just finished the 17 page ATF notice, I'm interested in what part exactly you find "stupid".

It all seemed to make sense to me and was IMO well reasoned and based on long-standing law.

Please explain why you disagree, and please be specific.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

While I tend to M193 for the higher velocity and capacity for reliable soft tissue damage, the Obama administration has been messing up the commercial ammunition market for a few years now, so this move doesn't surprise me. It's not effective and does nothing to curtail firearm ownership.

And for the record just about every rifle round will defeat typical armor worn by cops most of the time.

11. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

guy just offered me his CZSP-01 in trade for 600 rds of M855, God I love it when people panic & buy at inflated prizes. Obama makes capitalism work :D

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And whose soft tissue are we damaging? Just out of curiosity.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm still waiting for the hilarious Obama hunting photo-op...

Attached Files:

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's the same premise as using jacketed hollow points in pistol cartridges. In the event you have to shoot defensively you want as much soft tissue as damage possible, which at least causes pain capitulation, bleeding out or immobility due to connective tissue damage.

----------

Many dense members of the DNC haven't gotten the memo that trying to appease fudds doesn't earn the trust of those that support the 2nd.

15. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Can I assume that the government will be turning in its banned ammo first, and stop engaging in long-term armed conflicts that it can't afford to pay for?

16. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

The intended targets of course:D

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Have you read the ATF notice that I cited?

The ATF says the same thing. That's why rifle bullets are exempt from this rule, because rifles already have enough firepower to pierce body armor.

The regulation targets handgun bullets, because handguns are easily concealed and more likely used by criminals. Because some handguns have been manufactured that can use these same bullets as rifles, they then fall under the regulation intended to save cops lives.

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Amazing. I just can't fathom spending that much of my free time thinking about ways to injure people "just in case I have to". Gun people are weird. I'll just stay here in the anti-gun capital of America. :eek:

19. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

I'm watching the walking dead right now, excuse me while I stock up on zombie ammo:D

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's actually a whole lot of nonsense when you consider the firearms in question tend to look like this...

[​IMG]

Not really all that concealable...

And certainly splitting hairs when compared to...

[​IMG]

And please do share with us the stats of any officer taking rounds from "pistol-ized" version of a carbine.

The funny thing being the rise of 5.56 pistols is the direct result of trying to gain sporting compliance with ATF regulations, and then the ATF decides to try and screw people just the same.

21. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

But but but armor piercing blah blah blah .

Oh and the tissue damage? Exactly what you want when varminting

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's not an exaggeration. I once made the mistake of varminting with bi-metal jacketed 62gr russian rounds. I was getting clean hits and the rounds were going right through, no tumbling or fragmentation. I don't even think they noticed being hit.

Actually thought I was missing till I saw gut trails. Switched to 40gr varmint grenades after that.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You know, if the NRA used zombies as part of their reasoning I'd probably be more sympathetic toward their cause. :D

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would seem to me to be a fault of the gun manufacturers for blurring the lines between types of weapons.

However, key differences do exist which change the classification of those guns, even if it isn't readily apparent.

If you think this is important, then you share the stats.

I don't do other people's work for them.

25. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda